Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,879,751 times

Advertisements

It's Arizona, it's hot in the summer, not rocket science. I think it may be more of how one adjusts to the summer heat to make one happier to be able to enjoy the rest of the months in Arizona when one does not enjoy, ice, snow, below-zero temps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Very true, but the humidity is not consistent, a few days after the storm passes we're back to a dry heat. In Michigan it was a everyday thing.
You are so right about that. I spent five summers in Detroit and most of that was spent in the family room in the basement of my house! Kept busy dumping the dehumidifier too. No AC or other cooling on the house but did buy a window AC for the bedroom.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You are so right about that. I spent five summers in Detroit and most of that was spent in the family room in the basement of my house! Kept busy dumping the dehumidifier too. No AC or other cooling on the house but did buy a window AC for the bedroom.
Talk about adding insult to injury (high summertime humidity on top of that place's foul winters)

Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
It's Arizona, it's hot in the summer, not rocket science. I think it may be more of how one adjusts to the summer heat to make one happier to be able to enjoy the rest of the months in Arizona when one does not enjoy, ice, snow, below-zero temps
I agree that adjusting has a lot to do with it. Have you ever noticed that in January, fifty degrees feels balmy but in July you freeze to death? I once talked to an old timer (in Missouri) who had an air conditioner but refused to use it, instead getting "used" to the heat one day at a time. Of course, people lived in Arizona for hundreds of years before air conditioning was invented. Now I am sure they kept out of the mid-day heat but a lot of dealing with it does have to do with adjusting to the temps.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Talk about adding insult to injury (high summertime humidity on top of that place's foul winters)
Oh yeah...winter. lol I will say this for them, they were right on it when it snowed back there. I never once got to call off work 'cause I couldn't get there. Drat! And it was kinda fun making a big ice rink in the back yard so we could skate to our hearts content. Us and half the neighbor kids! I admit, being born and raised in the desert, I had the most fun the first couple of winters. After that, not so much. To say that I was happy to come home would be a huge understatement.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Branson...I will be trying your towel trick on the steering wheel....I have used the window shade and towels on the seats
I went to Auto Zone and got a cloth steering wheel cover. It works perfect. I just bought another one 'cause the elastic stretched out in the other one but they last a long long time.

I started using the window covers when I was parking under pine trees at work and the crows were pooping on my car. Got the window covers and parked in the sun. Still got crow poop, but not as much.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Yes, and don't wear underwear.
I don't know what that has to do with how you stand the heat or not. It is part of dressing up that underwear is a must. As one person mentioned, not buying a black car is obvious. Also, do not wear black colored clothing. I have also found that in periods of high heat, walking at a slower pace will be better as this will cause you to sweat less. This however is not true in areas with a humid climate.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:33 PM

861 posts, read 2,194,056 times
Folks in Arizona are Real Men and Women....we can handle the elements...not like those wimps back east.

As long as the temp doesn't dip below 45-50 we can tough anything out,....

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
My grandma has a good friend who moved to Arizona just a few years ago, who calls up every once in a while to tell about what its like. In about July, she called to say that it was 115 degrees, and that she hasn't been able to leave her house in days! I dislike weather that is above 80 degrees (it gives me headaches and makes me super drowsy), so I have no clue how you guys stand such heat! It makes me curious... what do you do when its 100+ degrees? Is there much of a diffrence between 90 degrees and 110 degrees? How long can you stay there until it gets dangerous?
Same way you stand the hot humid buggy summeris in Ohio. When it is only 90 degrees we usually do whatever we want to do. Not that hot at 90. Stay in the shade or inside, shop early. I have a hard time believing that someone can't leave the house because of the heat. We helped our daughter move when it hit 122 last summer.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,351 times
[SIZE=5]Thank you for this information[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona