Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,562 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring & wish to relocate to AZ from upstate New York. I am single & will be coming alone and living off of various income streams (401K, 457K, pension, savings & sale of existing real estate). Would like to possibly adopt since I plan to be home most days. Any suggestions....relatively quiet (like my current residence), fairly decent shopping, not too expensive real estate, spacious, clean and some sort of entertainment? Will consider 55+ communities also..Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
If you want to adopt usually 55+ communities will not allow any children under the age of 18 to stay with you, so that option is out. How much do you want to spend for your home? What about a condo? You shouldn't have a hard time finding a place that you like out here. Depending on your price range, maybe a smaller place like Prescott or Payson?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Quote:
Would like to possibly adopt since I plan to be home most days.

Pick me, pick me!!!! I don't eat much, I can cut the grass (though I'd rather you go with desert landscaping....) and I don't watch much TV. I'm only 42 and plan on going back to school so you'll have to pay for college, but you won't have to worry about diapers or (very much) crying and yelling.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I think you should buy my house in south Chandler which has been for sale for quite a few months. Seriously, this is a good time to buy in the Phoenix area because there's so many homes for sale and it's a buyers market. I happen to live in a 55+ community which is really nice and safe. Alot of the people are snowbirds and are gone for the summer but their houses are safe in this kind of community because it's gated with a guard's station at the entrance. I just retired in December and I'm going to move to Nashville. I would imagine that Arizona and Florida get the largest number of retirees but we don't have hurricanes or high humidity.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I have a town house in Phoenix....never mind.

I think that you can find plenty on great spots to retire in but the other posters are right about kids in 55 + developments. There are some really nice Trend town homes in N. Peoria that are starting around $180K for a decent amount of space. Homes in Trilogy (resale homes) are in the mid $200Ks. Trilogy would not allow children. Vistancia has homes in the mid to high $200k and is a family community across the road from Trilogy. Surprise also has some nice Trend homes for about the same price, $180K, and maybe lower with incentives. You can go to Trend Homes - A Phoenix Arizona Home Builder and see some of the floorplans.

Power Ranch also has some nice homes and some great deals. That is down south by Queen Creek/ Chandler area and has both family and 55+ areas.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Thanx 4 the replies...I will now consider single family homes...this Trend builder soud interesting. Hows the "single life" out there? I'm sure not lots of clubs etc but I've done all that already..just looking for mingling & good conversation, BBQ's and stuff like that. Also, how do dogs make out with all the talk of scorpions, rattlesnakes & such? Sounds horrid and I'm scred s*** of stuff like that..won't have anyone around to kill critters like that!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
If you want to adopt usually 55+ communities will not allow any children under the age of 18 to stay with you, so that option is out. How much do you want to spend for your home? What about a condo? You shouldn't have a hard time finding a place that you like out here. Depending on your price range, maybe a smaller place like Prescott or Payson?
Looking for a price range of about 250K but flexible within 20K. I do want a private in-ground pool, god size fenced yard (grass or desert..don't care) and min 3 BDR's, 2 1/2BA, den and possibly loft. Lots of storage (I have lots of stuff) and definitely pet friendly. Never heard of Payson..have to look that one up!

Last edited by Pamcake; 06-07-2007 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,919,228 times
Take a look at Prescott Valley. This is a smaller, growing community with lots to do. You are close enough to Prescott to enjoy its ammenities, but far enough to enjoy lower housing prices. The weather is fantastic. See the City-Data write-up for more info on Prescott Valley: //www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ty-city-2.html

Where are you from in upstate New York? My wife is from Ballston Spa north of Albany.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,536 times
Default Suggestion....

We had been looking for a couple of years at Sun City, Sun City West, Grand, and the surrounding area. Your best bet is a gated community, where you can walk your dog or go walking after dark. There are 2 such communities in Peoria, AZ which are close to everything: Peoria Estates and Running Horse at Arrowhead. Both have community pools. You really don't want a private pool...too much work! Both are really nice, priced under $230,000 and close to the big mall, Arrowhead Mall, as well as lots of shopping and restaurants. If you need a terrific realtor, I can suggest one (we went through several over the years and this one is great.) Good luck! I can't wait to move! (We are from Chicago). Oh, Peoria Park District has a Fit Over Fifty program that has everything from Yoga to stain glass making, field trips, tons of dances, etc.!
Good luck to you!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:46 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjguthrie View Post
We had been looking for a couple of years at Sun City, Sun City West, Grand, and the surrounding area. Your best bet is a gated community, where you can walk your dog or go walking after dark. There are 2 such communities in Peoria, AZ which are close to everything: Peoria Estates and Running Horse at Arrowhead. Both have community pools. You really don't want a private pool...too much work! Both are really nice, priced under $230,000 and close to the big mall, Arrowhead Mall, as well as lots of shopping and restaurants. If you need a terrific realtor, I can suggest one (we went through several over the years and this one is great.) Good luck! I can't wait to move! (We are from Chicago). Oh, Peoria Park District has a Fit Over Fifty program that has everything from Yoga to stain glass making, field trips, tons of dances, etc.!
Good luck to you!
Are you sure that Running Horse at Arrowhead is under $230k? I can't find anything below $285k and over $300k. That struck me as I know anything with Arrowhead in it's name is expensive and the area is higher end. It's hard to find many nice, new homes for under $230k, unless it's in an age restricted area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona