Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,320,201 times

Advertisements

Let me add a little ..."Perspective" to the summer heat comments.

My son, an Arizona Native, has done two tours in Fallujah, Irag - during the Iraqi summers - where, during the hottest months, the daytime temps reach in excess of 140 degrees. AND, our troops have to wear full body armor to boot. Then, add to the mix, the wind and dust.

Do you think he minds 110? Not the least.

BTW, he is now in Afganistan (on his 5th tour) - I spoke to him yesterday - it is a "balmy" minus 1 below 0 with it getting colder this week. He told me he can't wait to come back to AZ in July!!

It is all a matter of perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,335,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsommertime View Post
Alright, I need some clarification! I honed in on this post to get a better idea of Prescott area weather. We are thinking of moving there from Washington State. Here, winter is from November to end of April. From what I'm seeing people are complaining about cold weather in Prescott and it lasting long periods. You've got to be kidding, right? I just can't see how Prescott, AZ can be similar to Yakima, WA. It's freezing here and it's been snowing for months now. So is it "cold" weather for Arizonans, or people who are actually from cold areas? I'm assuming Prescott has pretty mild winters in comparison. I don't mind wearing a "jacket." Heck, that'd be amazing if that's all I had to pack on!
It's all relative. I moved to Prescott from Nebraska. These winters (and actually the summers, too) are wonderful as far as I'm concerned. Just not the extreme cold or the extreme heat of the Midwest.

Now, to me, having months of daytime highs in the upper 60's and low 70's constitutes spring/fall temps. But ask others, and they say we only have 2 seasons - winter and summer. Go figure.

Our shirt sleeve weather ended here about mid-November this year. We've had a couple of cold weeks in December (even snowed a bit) and now we've been in the 50's for the past week . . . and sunny. We'll be back in the 60's by March.

In the summer we usually have about a week where the temps are hoovering one side or the other of 100. Then by mid-July when the monsoon hits, we're back into the 80's. And it always cools into the 60's at night during the summer.

So . . . ask a midwesterner about Prescott weather and we'll tell you it's fantastic , but ask somebody that wants temps at 65 - 85 year round and I guess they'll tell you how bad the weather is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona