Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times

Advertisements

pinaleno mountains. up to 40 inches a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I love that name. Pinaleno. For some reason it makes me think of some sort of Shangri-La with beautiful scenery and stunning women like Elizabeth Pena or Penelope Cruz.

Ah....

Ok, back to reality. While I think the Pinolenos probably get some good snow and an epic monsoon, I suspect they are too steep to be truly lush. Only in the White Mts. or Inner Basin of the San Francisco peaks (or some awesome riparian canyon in the Pinalenos or Chiracahuas) are you likely to get a super lush feeling. You need a lot of rain, snow, and some way for groundwater flow or stream flow to fill in the dry bits. I am still voting for somewhere in the Whites above 8500', though that shot of the North Rim looked nice too.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I love that name. Pinaleno. For some reason it makes me think of some sort of Shangri-La with beautiful scenery and stunning women like Elizabeth Pena or Penelope Cruz.

Ah....

Ok, back to reality. While I think the Pinolenos probably get some good snow and an epic monsoon, I suspect they are too steep to be truly lush. Only in the White Mts. or Inner Basin of the San Francisco peaks (or some awesome riparian canyon in the Pinalenos or Chiracahuas) are you likely to get a super lush feeling. You need a lot of rain, snow, and some way for groundwater flow or stream flow to fill in the dry bits. I am still voting for somewhere in the Whites above 8500', though that shot of the North Rim looked nice too.
Have you been to the Pinaleno's during Monsoon season? Theres always a ton of water up there but during July and August its overflowing with water, tons of moss, spruce and fir galore. It can honestly can feel and look like a rainforest up there. Anyone else who has been up there during monsoon will agree with me. The whites, mogollan rim, chiricahuas, san fran peaks, north rim grand canyon all are comparable though.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 PM

266 posts, read 286,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
AZguy99, shush! Don't give away some of the best kept secrets, lol. Or at least one of mine. Hawley lake is one of my favorite places to 'be'. I go there every chance I get.
My apologies Teddy.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZguy99 View Post
My apologies Teddy.
It's all good, just making fun . . .

Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM

266 posts, read 286,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was going to say Hawley, as well. That is the highest precip. total I have seen. Also, the high elevation and frequent summer thunderstorms would make it seem extra lush. Geology/soils seem to have an important role too. Up here at Flagstaff, we get a lot of rain, but most of it percolates quickly down through the volcanic soils. I am sure our snow does wonderful things for water table and the various streams draining the Mogollon Rim, but there is precious little standing water around here. Also, that soil factor would affect the vegetation. The wettest area would be a concave area that gathers water, preferably with a northeast exposure. Given all that, I think that the area around Greer in the Whites would be lushest. High precipitation, especially in summer, supplemented with ground water and stream flows to create nice forest and meadow/wetland environment.

With respect to the rainforest discussion, I think that an area that stays wet all through the growing season can seem rainforestlike. It is more about the frequency of rain than the amount. Frequent rains in summer are pretty key. For example many of the species of trees that occur in the Hoh Rainforest of NW Washington (hemlock, red cedar, red alder), that gets 150" inches of rain also occur in N. Idaho where total precip is much lower (about 50"-70"), but with more snowpack to help with soil water in summer. Both areas get a lot of clouds too, so don't dry out. Daily monsoon rains can be like rainforest for a while, but the early summer drought throughout Arizona pretty much kills "rainforest" status anywhere in the state. Having done some fieldwork here and there, I do think southern parts of the San Juan Mtns of S. Colorado have a misty rainforest feel at times. They are the wettest spot in the S. Rockies, and seem to have higher diversity than places farther north. I think the White/Mogollon Rim Country has some similarities, but that early summer drought, and lower elevation, limits things.
I forgot to mention that Hawley Lake holds the record for most precipitation in a year of any Arizona location. In 1978, 58.92 inches of precipitation fell at Hawley Lake.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Just came home from a hike in the Grahams this afternoon....very green, very moist, very beautiful,.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
My pool.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZguy99 View Post
I forgot to mention that Hawley Lake holds the record for most precipitation in a year of any Arizona location. In 1978, 58.92 inches of precipitation fell at Hawley Lake.
1978 was an exceptionally wet year in all of Arizona. Even Phoenix received nearly 16 inches of rain that year. I'm actually heading up in the direction of Hawley Lake today for a three day stay in the White Mountains. I'm expecting it to be pretty cool for this time of year (and possibly rainy) thanks to the low pressure system that enhanced the monsoon storms even further.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
I have tried to post pics of my recent hikes on Mt Graham here but the way I used to do it no longer works...any suggestions? I am posting from photobucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona