Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The Arkansas Geological Survey is trying to unravel a mystery: What is causing earthquakes in the town of Guy, Arkansas?

Since September 20, the community of 549 residents north of Little Rock has experienced an almost constant shaking from 487 measurable earthquakes.

Earthquake 'swarm' rattles Arkansas town and its residents - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Arkansas Geological Survey is trying to unravel a mystery: What is causing earthquakes in the town of Guy, Arkansas?

Since September 20, the community of 549 residents north of Little Rock has experienced an almost constant shaking from 487 measurable earthquakes.

Earthquake 'swarm' rattles Arkansas town and its residents - CNN.com
Interesting, I wonder why we haven't heard much, if anything on the news or in the paper about this.??

Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Early in the Fall, at least one of the Guy earthquakes did make the news here.

My guess is we're not hearing a lot about the "swarm" because 1. many of the earthquakes are small; 2. Guy is not a big town.

It is interesting to note that the mayor of Guy does not have earthquake insurance. Must be a *risk-taker* It might be cost prohibitive now to purchase.

We have earthquake insurance on our home here in Fayetteville. A cheap way (less than $200/year) to provide me some peace of mind.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM

200 posts, read 681,956 times
A large majority of the earthquakes are somewhere at or below human perception. Only a small percentage of the swarm have actually been felt. There was one day a couple of months ago that 3 were felt within a 24 hour period, and it got a good bit of play on the L.R. TV stations.

Regardless, there is some concern that all the drilling for gas in that part of the state may be causing some of this. Anywhere you have drilling in shale, "fracking" (injecting fluids at high pressure) is involved to split open shale rock and release the gas trapped within. You've probably already heard the concerns that people have regarding those fluids possibly contaminating underground water sources. There is also the concern that the fluids may be lubricating friction points in fault lines, making it easier for the faults to slip, causing earthquakes.

I think I also remember reading somewhere speculation that the Guy swarm could be due to an extension of the New Madrid fault. Don't know much about that, though.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
A large majority of the earthquakes are somewhere at or below human perception. Only a small percentage of the swarm have actually been felt. There was one day a couple of months ago that 3 were felt within a 24 hour period, and it got a good bit of play on the L.R. TV stations.

Regardless, there is some concern that all the drilling for gas in that part of the state may be causing some of this. Anywhere you have drilling in shale, "fracking" (injecting fluids at high pressure) is involved to split open shale rock and release the gas trapped within. You've probably already heard the concerns that people have regarding those fluids possibly contaminating underground water sources. There is also the concern that the fluids may be lubricating friction points in fault lines, making it easier for the faults to slip, causing earthquakes.

I think I also remember reading somewhere speculation that the Guy swarm could be due to an extension of the New Madrid fault. Don't know much about that, though.
yep, I do remember something about it, but not to the extent of anyone letting it concern them too much.

Nita

Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Nita, remember the Baldwin Hills reservoirs disaster? That was caused by a fault underneath the dam being affected by fracking and overexploitation of the Inglewood oil patch.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nita, remember the Baldwin Hills reservoirs disaster? That was caused by a fault underneath the dam being affected by fracking and overexploitation of the Inglewood oil patch.
I do, just vaguely..

Nita

Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
Do they still practice "deep well waste" injections in Guy? If so, has anyone been monitoring exactly what has been injected?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherjm View Post
Do they still practice "deep well waste" injections in Guy? If so, has anyone been monitoring exactly what has been injected?
Yes, and yes.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
A 4.7 just about 1 hour ago again, near Guy, AR. I can't believe all these quakes in Arkansas lately. This catches my eye because I lived north of there in SW Missouri for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas