Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,889 times

Advertisements

I am a retired person, age 62, single, but active and still work. I am thinking of moving to Hot Springs, like the city, older, quaint houses. Have found one I like. Just not totally sure of the move yet. Those who live in Hot Springs, what do you think of it as a place to live...pros and cons, please. thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmehowitis View Post
I am a retired person, age 62, single, but active and still work. I am thinking of moving to Hot Springs, like the city, older, quaint houses. Have found one I like. Just not totally sure of the move yet. Those who live in Hot Springs, what do you think of it as a place to live...pros and cons, please. thanks a bunch.
This thread was started way back in Sep 07 by arie02 and I hope an answer was in all the stuff that was later posted, but, t m h i i, I will put in my two-bits worth even though I don't live in HS. For about 10+ years I have spent lots of time in HS both as a volunteer and on paid jobs. About half of that time I commuted from Malvern (30 minutes southeast), and now from Little Rock. I have many friends who live and work there and if circumstances required it, I would not hesitate to move there and buy a home. As in any other community/town, large or small, there are areas to stay away from but for the most part it safe and friendly. So, I have always been an "outsider", but when I am out and about I have never been treated any differently than friends who have lived there all their lives.

As far as safety, I have a single woman friend who has lived there all her life and never locks the doors to her home, whether she is at home or away, or her car. I tell her that is foolish, in any town, but she says it is O.K..

Lots of people commute to L.R. to work. I know because when I drive to H.S. in the mornings, and returning to L.R. in the afternoons, I meet a "convoy" of commuters. Also, L.R. is only 45 minutes away if you choose to go there for anything extra. US 70 East out of H.S. isn't a bad drive, but if you prefer four lanes, you could drive a few miles farther and take US 270 to Malvern then hit Interstate 30 to L.R. So go for it! I would not hesitate!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarrell View Post
BE WARNED BEFORE YOU MOVE TO HOT SPRINGS ARKANSAS ! ! ! Workers will be pleasantly reassured to know that they canfind that a job can be found here in Hot Springs the very next day! Also Hot Springs is proabably one of the friendliest little towns you will ever step foot in - BUT BE WARNED! The kindness and frienliness in this town comes with a high price tag attached! You can also find a place to rent anywhere here the next day. COMMUTE NOT A PROBLEM! The problem is when you live here in Hot Springs, you've got to be someone important. If youre planning on comming here to work at Wal-mart the Motels, or Fast food or Production don't bother coming here at all! The workers will treat you like **** if you come from out of state! Moreover when you do shop at Walmart or get somethihg to eat after a prolonged period of time they soon discover that you are not a tourist! This is when your social statous declines consideraby. But for the most part the post offices and banks will treat you with respect as will most of the upper upper shopping places (office depo). BE WARNED ALSO that if you are poor, or black you will probably get yelled at without remorse if you are found walking in hot springs with work clothes or a bag. Heck, I foud a part-time job simply because I was white when they saw that poor black fellow come in. Also be warned that when you do find a place to rent never pay for your rent in advanced! Some of these renters (unless you live on lake hamleton) don't care about your lease agreements. On the upside if your rich you will do fine here in Hot Springs. Arkansas is one of the most prettiest states in the whole country as is the town of Hot Springs. Well, I guess that's all I have to say but before you move here to Arkansas consider camping here for a month just to see the pros and cons before hand!
I am a black woman who just moved here from out of state and I have experienced none of this. I live in what is suppose to be one of the roughest areas of Hot Springs and I have not had a single problem. And I have walked around by myself at night. As far as the commute goes, Little Rock is very close (by LA standards normal commute) but people will look at you as though you are crazy to drive that far.

I would highly recommend having a job first from wherever you are moving from or to. While my some of my co-workers are not the nicest people, it has do do with the general work environment and not that I'm from out of state. Even there, I have found several co-workers who have been wonderful and made sure I didn't spend the holidays alone. As for social status, I have found hard work and willingness to learn have helped earn the respect of the people I work with.

Hot Springs is amazingly beautiful and the drive form here to Little Rock is great. The only warning I'll issue is that there is an entertainment tax which makes eating out 11% rather than 8%, there is smoking allowed in every bar, and off of the main streets there are few stret signs and most of the streets look like alley openings. But that's easy to get over.

Welcome to Hot Springs!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I am a black woman who just moved here from out of state and I have experienced none of this. I live in what is suppose to be one of the roughest areas of Hot Springs and I have not had a single problem. And I have walked around by myself at night. As far as the commute goes, Little Rock is very close (by LA standards normal commute) but people will look at you as though you are crazy to drive that far.

I would highly recommend having a job first from wherever you are moving from or to. While my some of my co-workers are not the nicest people, it has do do with the general work environment and not that I'm from out of state. Even there, I have found several co-workers who have been wonderful and made sure I didn't spend the holidays alone. As for social status, I have found hard work and willingness to learn have helped earn the respect of the people I work with.

Hot Springs is amazingly beautiful and the drive form here to Little Rock is great. The only warning I'll issue is that there is an entertainment tax which makes eating out 11% rather than 8%, there is smoking allowed in every bar, and off of the main streets there are few stret signs and most of the streets look like alley openings. But that's easy to get over.

Welcome to Hot Springs!
CE, I am still disappointed you have experienced a few co workers that are not the nicest, but I guree no place has all nice people. It is interesting about your living in less than the best part of town and feel so safe. Isn't that a wonderful feeling? We do live in an area that is considered pretty upscale (not us, for sure) and it is not heavily populated..I have no worry about leaving the house unlocked. I don't do it on a regular basis, but don't worry if we do..That is one of the things I love about living in AR after so many years in big cities or the years we spent in NM. The safety so many take for granted, we have learned to appreciate..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas