Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,985 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone, just recently got a relatively big job opp. in Jonesboro. I'm curious is there any chance I could live in Memphis and commute? I'm a big city guy and I think I would really enjoy the scene there. If not, any suggestions on good places to live whether they are in Arkansas or Tenn.? I would like to keep the commute under 50 minutes. Maybe a suburb of Memphis if Memphis is too far a drive?

A bit about me, I'm a non-white male mid to early 20's years old, single and liberal. Don't need good schools, just low-crime, safe, accepting place with good nightlife close by.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Wow. I'm way older than you, but I wouldn't even attempt that one. Maps shows it at 70 miles, 1 hr. 15 min., but that's not really accounting for Memphis traffic. At rush hour I cannot even imagine how that would go.

Maybe you're going to work for the college? If so, you might find enough social opportunities to keep you occupied during the week, but I'd leave the commuting to Memphis for weekend fun.

Jonesboro is trying, but there is really little to do. My sons are a little older than you are - one is an attorney and was recently offered a job in J'boro - which he declined. He's a big city guy too....even Memphis on the weekends couldn't get him going. That area of the state is more farming and less populated - and unfortunately close to nothing. J'boro is as close to night life as you're probably going to get. That's not to say it's a bad town, it's not - but the big city vibe most definitely is not there.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times
Thanks for your help. The job opp. is a one year contract with a manufacturing company. They plan to move me after the year to another facility. I guess I'll live in Jboro then. I suppose I'll stick it out for a year. GO to Memphis on weekends

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Jeff, just FYI - you're the right age for the college crowd, but Jonesboro is dry. There are permits issued to some of the restaurants. Closest place to buy liquor is about 20 miles away, Greene or Poinsett County. I think you do have to buy a club membership to even the restaurants that sell wine but I'm not positive. I'm sure there are clubs, I just don't know of any...but someone will be along who will :-)

You can use the search function at the top of the forum to get a better idea of life in J'boro...if you need help just yell and we'll do our best.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Jeff, just FYI - you're the right age for the college crowd, but Jonesboro is dry. There are permits issued to some of the restaurants. Closest place to buy liquor is about 20 miles away, Greene or Poinsett County. I think you do have to buy a club membership to even the restaurants that sell wine but I'm not positive. I'm sure there are clubs, I just don't know of any...but someone will be along who will :-)

You can use the search function at the top of the forum to get a better idea of life in J'boro...if you need help just yell and we'll do our best.
Club memberships are no longer required. You only have to sign the sinners log if you wish to drink at a restaurant that offers alcohol.

The OP should just stick it out in Jonesboro for a year. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 AM

4 posts, read 20,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffburke View Post
Thanks for your help. The job opp. is a one year contract with a manufacturing company. They plan to move me after the year to another facility. I guess I'll live in Jboro then. I suppose I'll stick it out for a year. GO to Memphis on weekends
Jeff,
I hope your move to Jonesboro went well. I lived in Memphis before and years later ended up in Jonesboro so I can speak for both places. Ive known several people who do commute from Memphis to the Jonesboro area, but really, unless you have a hybrid or electric vehicle and even more importantly..... have someone to share the commute with.... it not a great idea especially in the colder winter months where you might get ice on the overpasses. You could choose to live in Harbor Town.. adjacent to the Memphis Bridge and make a forty five minute commute. Thats what some of my aquaintances have done. Being of the age you state... you would have much in common with the young to middle aged upperly mobile young professionals which are the predominant type who live in Harbor Town. Harbor Town is very unique and offers a wide choice of living..... large homes to Condo living, to apartments... all along the Mississippi River and just a mile or so from downtown and the Beale Street and such.

But, you would really need to offset those advantages with the disadvantages of the commute and even danger of falling asleep at the wheel. Yep it does happen.

Jonesboro isn't a country backward town.... although there are many that might fill that definition in the outlying areas. It has the college and the college town feel with more cultural activities supporting it than ever now. They now have a "Health and Wellness Center" as well, which you might want to look into for a complete gym, exercise and socialization pplace. It has a nice five lane indoor salt wter lap pool, 25 meter I think, along with unreal spa and locker rooms, and cycling classes and all kinds of the latest and the greatest cardio stuff and weight rooms and exercise classes. Check it out. Its a winner.

You will find the people to be friendly in Jonesboro.... and you might just start to enjoy and appreciate the rural feel of the out skirts areas. Its just a few minutes drive to find yourself out in the country so to speak, and view the various agricultural scenery. But go further and investigate the Ozark areas. There are unbelievable national forest areas with complete recreational activities. Camping, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing and kayaking, world reknown fishing in adjacent lakes.... unreal scenery in the national parks and such. Arkansas is a beautiful state and you really will be denying yourself some of the best parks and recreation in this part of the country if you don't go and look.

There is a great cycling and running club in Jonesboro. It used to be called the Ridge Riders but I think maybe its the Ridge Runners now as they merged. But regardless, they can tell you of a contact person at the Health and Wellness center for that. There are cyclists from all walks of life in the club and it just keeps growing.

If you love to fish or always wanted to... go buy yourself a bass boat and get out on the rivers and nearby lakes. You will have all the fishing activity you could ever desire. The Fowler Center has very good entertainment and offers appearances throughout the year of musicians, artists, concerts and such. Check it out. Then, of course, the University has many many activities and cultural concerts which you might be interested in filling your evenings and weekends with. Many people forget about these offerings. If you want to find it, you will. Just takes a few phone calls or looking at the web to find an interest or activity. And, Memphis is a short jaunt away to take in great concerts, cultural fairings, BBQ, Memphis in May, Concerts in the Park......
Oh yeah, Jonesboro has weekly evening concert offerings in the summer... where you can take a picnic and sit out in the evenings and listen to whomever they are offering the public that week. Pretty Nice. So reallly, Jonesboro has more to offer than at first glance. I hope you take the time and look for things that iterest you. Im sure you will find ways to stay culturallly up to date and keep you invested in the community. Best to you.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Wow. I'm way older than you, but I wouldn't even attempt that one. Maps shows it at 70 miles, 1 hr. 15 min., but that's not really accounting for Memphis traffic. At rush hour I cannot even imagine how that would go.

Maybe you're going to work for the college? If so, you might find enough social opportunities to keep you occupied during the week, but I'd leave the commuting to Memphis for weekend fun.

Jonesboro is trying, but there is really little to do. My sons are a little older than you are - one is an attorney and was recently offered a job in J'boro - which he declined. He's a big city guy too....even Memphis on the weekends couldn't get him going. That area of the state is more farming and less populated - and unfortunately close to nothing. J'boro is as close to night life as you're probably going to get. That's not to say it's a bad town, it's not - but the big city vibe most definitely is not there.
Are you kidding me? Have you lived anywhere else in your life? Memphis traffic is a joke compared to the vast majority of cities its size. I have family that does that commute and its not bad. Try living in Washington DC, they spend over an hour in traffic to go miles.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,511 times
Jeff, in short, Jonesboro is conservative with one pocket of liberalism, the school. Downtown Jonesboro has about 10 places that have a bar, so you could be able to get a drink if you live down there, and it has come a long way in 10 years, its packed on the weekends. The negative, the vast majority of the people that are downtown are college kids, but that may be good for you(girls and such). It is a boring place, but there is more amenities than before, by a long shot and memphis is about an hour away, so that can fill in the viod. Tunica is about an hour and a half away, so free drinks and gambling is close, Ozarks are reletively close, so you can go do outdoor things. In short, it sucks, but if youre here for a limited time you can make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas