Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 11,308 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving from the Chicagoland area to Hot Springs. We are looking to get out of the fast paced living and more into a more relaxed, warmer atmosphere. We love the water and outdoors so I don't think we will have a problem there.
Can anyone chime in on what they like or don't like about the area? We are visiting next month, are there certain areas/things we should check out when we're there? Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
I do not live in H.S. but have worked there and have family and friends living there at this time, and I would not hesitate to live there.

For you, lots depends on where you will be working (assuming you will be working). The only area I would avoid is south of downtown, but even there, there are pockets that are O.K. West, out Arkansas Highway 7, U.S. Highway 70, and U.S. Highway 270, the morning and afternoon traffic is a ! 70 has many homes, apartments, and condos along the highway as well as side streets. 7 and 270 have some on side streets. All the lakes are on the west side of town.

That's a very brief preview, but a start. If you have specific questions I'll try to respond to those too.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM

315 posts, read 255,866 times
Its going to be a lot different than CL. Its only about 35k people. Its close [50 mi] to LR which is about 250k. Its beautiful in town and in any direction for 100 miles. I love it there and may retire there.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj525 View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering moving from the Chicagoland area to Hot Springs. We are looking to get out of the fast paced living and more into a more relaxed, warmer atmosphere. We love the water and outdoors so I don't think we will have a problem there.
Can anyone chime in on what they like or don't like about the area? We are visiting next month, are there certain areas/things we should check out when we're there? Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We moved from Texas and it's blast furnace in 2011. We are retired and had considered Hot Springs way back in 2001. But wound up in Texas as we had relatives there. Texas practically burned down in the "Great Drougth" of that summer. We drove up here and the lush vegetation and beauty instantly appealed to us. Arkansas is really not fully appreciated for its beauty. I believe Hiway 13 is considered one of the nine most scenic drives in the U.S. Plenty of places to go.

Unfortunately last year we also had a bad drought here last summer. But that is behind us and it appears we are getting back to normalcy. In the year and a half we have lived here the weather has been moderate; not too cold; not too hot. We only had snow that amounted to anything just one day and occasional dusting but nothing like where you live.

The south end of Hot Springs is where to go, in my view. It is near Lake Hamilton which is a treasure. We live about a 1/2 mile from it ourselves. And there are other lakes not too far away.

One very nice thing is that Little Rock is but a short distance via 70 to I30. Benton has a lot of stores and eateries. Little Rock is incredibly easy to navigate; nothing at all like the large cities. I hate traffic but this is a piece of cake. That's about 35 -40 miles away. Easy drive. Hot Springs has a lot of places to shop as well but it is not a large metropolitan area so you won't have that. But plenty of car dealers, an excellent selection of groceries and several good restaurants. If one likes catfish as we do, a drive to Glenwood at 30 miles provides an escellent buffet for $7.49 including cobbler and ice cream. Easy drive.

If you are interested, you might want to consider renting until you survey the real estate market. Prices are all over the lot with the highest prices around Lake Hamilton. But not far away are very reasonably priced homes.

Where we live, there is little to no crime to speak of. But there is in the north side according to newspaper articles. But we don't spend a whole lot of time there.

If you golf, you should consider Hot Springs Village. That is the largest gated community in the United States. And the home prices vary from inexpensive to considerably higher. There is a very good restaurant nearby that we drive to every Friday and it is 20 miles away. And the village is only a short drive to Little Rock - a plus.

Medical facilities have been very good as has the selection of physicians, dentists, etc. No complaints.

Hope this gives you a running start. Arkansas is by no means perfect for everyone but we have been in virtually all the states. Having spent most of my life in Missouri, the lack of ice storms and heavy snow falls are not missed. You don't need a four wheel drive here as we did back in Springfield. Big difference.

We have also found taxes to be very reasonable. And the people here are friendly.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
missourimule - good report. Thanks. And it's strange that when we go to Oklahoma to do an archeology job we just happen to go through Glenwood at noon time and have to stop at the buffet, and a few days later when we return to Hot Springs we just happen to hit Glenwood at dinner time. Strange!

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 05-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: More info.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,542 times
Hi ArkansasSlim, I lived in chicago for 11 years, now in Indianapolis and looking to move again. Have you moved to Hot Springs? If so, are you enjoying life there?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustlion View Post
Hi ArkansasSlim, I lived in chicago for 11 years, now in Indianapolis and looking to move again. Have you moved to Hot Springs? If so, are you enjoying life there?
Nope, as Posted above, I only worked and spend lots of time in H.S., never lived there. I am now totally retired and have moved to a "Geezerville" in Little Rock. I really miss my time and visits to H.S. I would not hesitate to move there if circumstances permitted it.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:25 PM

62 posts, read 83,907 times
I lived and worked there for a year and loved it. I would move back there no problem if I didn't have land/house/family in Texas.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,037 times
I moved to the hell hole called Hot Springs a little more than 5 years ago. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT AT ALL.Yes, it is a nice place to VISIT...NOT TO LIVE.

The Hot Springs "Born & Raised" population HAVE NO CONCEPT OF PROPRIETY, RESPECT, SELF RESPECT, BOUNDARIES, LOYALTY, HONESTY, HONOR, MORALITY OR ETHICS. The "Transplants" are the ONLY ones who possess any of those equalities. Once they have lived here for so long, endured so much...THEY BEGIN TO FOLLOW THE LEAD OF THE NATIVES. That is UNLESS they make a POINT to NOT ASSOCIATE with those that are trouble (it is NOT difficult to recognize who is and who isn't...they do NOT try to hide it. To them it is NORMAL.) AND TO LIVE FAR BEYOND THE OUTSKIRTS.

Which is precisely what my husband & I did. We bought 4 acres in Royal. Do NOT allow just anyone to know exactly where we live.Do NOT associate with many people: those we do associate with...majority are TRANSPLANTS or were raised by parents who figured out how IMPORTANT it is to STEER CLEAR of those who are trouble.

The crime is VERY HIGH too.

As I said, yeah it's a nice place to visit...HOT SPRINGS IN NO WHERE TO LIVE.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:53 AM

383 posts, read 399,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie71968 View Post
I moved to the hell hole called Hot Springs a little more than 5 years ago. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT AT ALL.We bought 4 acres in Royal. Do NOT allow just anyone to know exactly where we live.Do NOT associate with many people:
Wow, if your that unhappy, why not leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas