Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times

Advertisements

Been thinking about moving. I used to live in Tn. and Mo. My family lives in the St. Louis area and in the SE Mo. part of the state. I'm not really all that keen to being in Mo., but still close enough to my family.
Arkansas is looking good although I don't remember much about it just visiting.

My husband and I are semi-retired. We have military retirement incomes but would like to be somewhere we could work a part time job just to make a few extra bucks. We don't like big cities although being near one would be nice. It would be nice to be in a town that has nice grocery stores (none in NM), medical facilities, and just places to go in general maybe for meetup groups, stuff to do. Nice to be in an area close to a forest and water.
Sounds like LR may be a good place. We need to come check it out. I'm going to Mo. next month so maybe I'll get a chance to drive there. I like the looks of the forestry areas in the NW part of the state but it looks like that's about all it is, is forest and not many towns.

Basically, I just wanted to say hi and I am working on being a part of your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Please look at the Hot Springs area. Plenty of lakes and golf (we live in Hot Springs Village and love it).

Plus there are many more areas, Jasper, Mt. Home, NWA, etc.

Come check us out!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM

SOLD! I saw where it said Bluegrass Festivals. I'm in.

Thanks for the links and for your input. I'll check more of this out and feel free to keep on posting.

Like I said in my earlier post, I want to get back to this part of the country but not so much Mo. and even though I like Tn. and NC as I've been checking into Asheville too, Arkansas seems more of a match.

What beautiful scenery.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
I agree with all the above suggestions. I too am retired military living in Little Rock, and the Little Rock Air Force Base is just a few miles north in case you choose to use it's facilities. They have a great commissary, Base Exchange, and other services, but we choose to not use them because we live in west L.R. and don't think it is worth the drive to the base. If you are old enough to qualify for Tricare-for-Life, all medical doctors and facilities we have used accepts it, but a few will not accept Tricare (the one before you qualify for TFL), however, I have been told some of the doctors have stopped accepting new Medicare patients, which, of course, means they will not accept Medicare/TFL.

This is the third time we have lived in L.R. and I guess this time we are here to stay. L.R., being in the center of the state is close enough to the rest of the state for a good day trip or a nice weekend. Come on down. I think you will like it . If you have any specific, personal, questions, send me a Direct Message and I'll help any way I can.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
AR is a great place for people who are retired or semi, like you. Of course you will want to be close to military medical I am guessing. I know it is available in Little Rock and here in NWA as well. I don't know about other places in the state. So many here have given you good suggestions. I would think, your best bet would be to spend a week driving through the state and seeing it for yourself. I have heard a lot of good things about Mena, but according to the nightly news it gets a lot hotter there than in the NW part of the state or Mountain Home. I guess Mountain Home might be NW to some, I think of it as just plain North. NWA has the most natural beauty I think, but I am partial, so don't just take my word for it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM

I didn't even realize there was a base in LR. I remember when my late husband and I lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo. (Southeast) and we traveled to a base in the N. Arkansas part but I can't remember the town now. The commissary was small but every so often, just for the little trip, we would go and shop for groceries.
If you know the town I'm talking about, please post it.

I like the best of both worlds, city and country, being close to both. My current husband and I are both on Tricare, in our mid 50's. I love the weather in NM but have come to realize that it's not just the weather that's important anymore. Ark. is humid I know.
When I go to Mo. next month, after I'm finished doing what I'm doing, visiting, etc., I'm thinking about renting a car for a couple of days and driving to Ark. just to check it out some. Sometime later in the future, both hub and I can come and check it out together. Still trying talking him into moving. LOL

I really appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I didn't even realize there was a base in LR. I remember when my late husband and I lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo. (Southeast) and we traveled to a base in the N. Arkansas part but I can't remember the town now. The commissary was small but every so often, just for the little trip, we would go and shop for groceries.
If you know the town I'm talking about, please post it.

I like the best of both worlds, city and country, being close to both. My current husband and I are both on Tricare, in our mid 50's. I love the weather in NM but have come to realize that it's not just the weather that's important anymore. Ark. is humid I know.
When I go to Mo. next month, after I'm finished doing what I'm doing, visiting, etc., I'm thinking about renting a car for a couple of days and driving to Ark. just to check it out some. Sometime later in the future, both hub and I can come and check it out together. Still trying talking him into moving. LOL

I really appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks.
I don't know about the base in LR, but I am pretty sure they have a vet hospital. I know we do, here in NWA. it is in Fayetteville and very nice...

As for living in NM now, we lived just south of ABQ for 7 years before moving to AR. We have never regretted the move even though we still miss some of our friends and our old church.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 AM

It's hard leaving friends and a church but I've lived so many different places, I'm used to it now. The way I see it is that the friends will or will not continue to be in your life and I trust God as far as the church he wants me in.
As far as church goes, I lived in mountainous, isolated Timberon when I went through an illness back in 2010. I was not a Christian at the time, def. not a churchgoer. I got involved with the ladies group and when I left Timberon to come to Capitan, I thought I'd never find a group like I had in Timberon. After several months, I found even a better one so I believe it can be done.
Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic and talk about church but it is an important part of my life too as are other things.

It's funny in a way because up until a couple of days ago, I didn't give much thought to living in Arkansas and if it's meant to be, it will be. I've thought about a couple of other states and I was trying my best to find somewhere in Mo. to like and to move to. Not working And now, Arkansas comes along and just researching what I have and info you all have given me, this is looking great.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It's hard leaving friends and a church but I've lived so many different places, I'm used to it now. The way I see it is that the friends will or will not continue to be in your life and I trust God as far as the church he wants me in.
As far as church goes, I lived in mountainous, isolated Timberon when I went through an illness back in 2010. I was not a Christian at the time, def. not a churchgoer. I got involved with the ladies group and when I left Timberon to come to Capitan, I thought I'd never find a group like I had in Timberon. After several months, I found even a better one so I believe it can be done.
Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic and talk about church but it is an important part of my life too as are other things.

It's funny in a way because up until a couple of days ago, I didn't give much thought to living in Arkansas and if it's meant to be, it will be. I've thought about a couple of other states and I was trying my best to find somewhere in Mo. to like and to move to. Not working And now, Arkansas comes along and just researching what I have and info you all have given me, this is looking great.
We never thought much about living here either. We left Texas and moved to NM because of the humidity in Texas. We loved something about NM, but other things just were not us, plus we wanted to be a little closer to family. It was our granddaughter, who was a senior at U of A that suggested we look here. We also considered TN and OK, but we fell in love with AR from the first day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas