Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,962 times

Advertisements

I don't think people were doing anything to scare the OP off the area. Getting personal opinions based on experience in the area is one reason why people seek advice from these forums. While I agree drug crimes tend to be concentrated and in many instances the victim does know the offender, still burglaries and such do happen to feed drug habits. It can happen anywhere. A person should take reasonable precautions no matter where they live.

Did you read that Architectural Digest will be doing a feature on a aesthetically pleasing home-based methamphetamine lab near Searcy. But did this couple really want this kind of attention. Apparently local law enforcement was unaware of their activities. But they are now.

Ya, those meth photos are awful, that alone you'd think would stop people from trying it. Now too many enchiladas and you might have another type of problem, but at least it's only of a temporary nature.

Arkansas Meth Lab to be Featured in Architectural Digest | Rock City Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
And your teeth!

Seriously, those "before and after" pictures of meth addicts are some kind of scary. Pitiful, actually. Really sad.

When they get to prison, most serious meth addicts can't chew the prison food because their teeth are rotten and infected. Since prisons are not usually into special needs in the dietary department, the state will often foot the bill for dentures, so they can eat. That's about five grand per meth inmate with serious meth mouth. I think the prison can puree the food to a baby food level. But that would mean, your carrots, cake and beans with a slice of bread ( or whatever is on the menu) would all have to go in a blender together. I also know that if you rent to someone that is a cooking meth in the home and they get busted... the city will make you gut the home down to the 2x4's ( at your expense) because the sheet rock absorbs the chemicals and can still make you very sick. If you don't do so, a new tenant can actually sue the landlord if that family gets sick.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I always thought it was nuts to mess with this drug because you don't know if you're getting 95% meth and 5% draino, battery acid, or whatever. It's also odd how they know they're making meth instead of one of the other amphetamines.
I don't know how anyone could control knowing what is in meth. They dealers ( or cookers) could put anything in there for filler... so you are correct.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:07 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think the OP needs to give up on Mena because of the meth scare.
I agree. One of the main reasons my wife and I decided on Mena were the good vibes and friendly folks that we ran across when we visited Mena. I love it here and would recommend retirement here to anyone looking for those same vibes and friendly folks.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I also know that if you rent to someone that is a cooking meth in the home and they get busted... the city will make you gut the home down to the 2x4's ( at your expense) because the sheet rock absorbs the chemicals and can still make you very sick. If you don't do so, a new tenant can actually sue the landlord if that family gets sick.
Yeah, that's one of the scarier parts of meth cooking to me....the possibility of buying a house that's had meth cooked in it, especially in rural areas. Wonder if there's a test for that. Seems like in this day and time a seller ought to have to provide a "meth certificate" along with the termite certificate.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,691 times
This is my first time in any kind of chat...believe it or not, I live in a city with HUGE drug problem...biggest on east coast they say...near Boston...but never seen meth!!???...plenty of cocaine, heroine and weed...

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenelizabeth View Post
This is my first time in any kind of chat...believe it or not, I live in a city with HUGE drug problem...biggest on east coast they say...near Boston...but never seen meth!!???...plenty of cocaine, heroine and weed...
Yeah when I lived in Jersey meth was never a big problem, was usually crack and heroin like you said. Meth seems to be a southern problem more than a NE problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:17 PM

635 posts, read 783,964 times
Its' a cancer. Meth is everywhere.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Not quite everywhere.

I have dealt a lot with drugs in my career, and retired out of a Chicago burb department. Never saw a meth problem until I got to Arkansas, and it's huge here. I saw a lot of heroin, prescription meds, etc.

The difference is, meth is dirt cheap to make, and the markup is astronomical. Most of these meth heads can make it up in a number of ways with chemicals that would scare you to death. In the rural areas, it's tough to find a lab. However, users are busted every single day. We have a couple of "retirement" communities in my area, and as I've said before, the Judicial Drug Task force might as well open a permanent office in them.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:59 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
I saw this thread cruisin by, and I thought I'd chime in. I know for a while Eastern CO towns had been reported to be meth capitals. I agree, it's probably everywhere, but it really does seem to be much more of a rural drug than an urban one. Maybe its cause there's nothing to do in some of these really small trailer park towns in Eastern CO? I have to wonder why anyone would do it as well. Here are the effects listed from Erowid.org.

POSITIVE
increased energy and alertness
decreased need for sleep
increased sociability
mild to extreme mood lift, euphoria
increased sexuality
NEUTRAL
excessive talking
decreased appetite, weight loss
sweating
NEGATIVE
disturbed sleep patterns
tightened jaw muscles, grinding teeth (trismus and bruxia)
loss of appetite (anorexia), leading to poor nutrition and weight loss with heavy use
visual & auditory hallucinations, hearing voices (from sleep deprivation)
reduced enjoyment of eating
loss of interest in sex, over time
itching, welts on skin
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
dry mouth, leading to serious tooth decay with chronic use
excessive excitation, hyperactivity
shortness of breath
moodiness & irritability
anxiousness & nervousness
aggressiveness
panic, suspiciousness, and paranoia
involuntary body movements (uncontrollable movement and/or twitches of fingers, facial & body muscles, lip-smaking, tongue protrusion, grimacing, etc.)
ego inflation, false sense of confidence and power, ego-inflation
aggressive and violent behavior
severe depression, suicidal tendencies

Effects of Habitual Use
fatal kidney and lung disorders
possible brain damage
permanent psychological problems
lowered resistance to illnesses
liver damage
stroke
cardiovascular crises, chest pains, heart attacks
Damage to gums, teeth, and can lead to tooth loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas