Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times

Advertisements

I'm a Democrat and my vote would be for either Edwards or Obama.

I really dislike Huckabee and McCain. The idea of either leading this country scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulluvit View Post
I won't try to persuade you to my candidate, but will instead answer the question of how I think Arkansas will vote. It will be for Huckabee, especially in the Republican stronghold of northwest Arkansas. I don't think that there is much nostalgia for Hillary Clinton, and I think that the state is still too racist to vote for Obama, so I think the Democratic portions of the state will go for Edwards, as the public here is too lazy to look for information about any other candidates. The final majority of presidential ballots will go Republican. (BTW, I am not a Republican.)
Don't pull out the race card and start arguments. Just because we're in the South doesn't mean we can't support a black candidate. I'm from Mississippi (which has a worse reputation for racism than Arkansas ever thought about) and I'd still vote for Obama if he was the candidate. I do like Edwards, but I did all the way back to 2004, when I was wishing he would get the nomination over Kerry. We all know how that worked out.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,890 times
I'm voting Obama

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Isn't it interesting that a lot of the country made the mad dash to jump on the Hillary bandwagon...but I haven't run into a single soul who is actually voting for her here in Arkansas (although I saw a lot of names I recognized in the paper with campaign donations on Sunday...and a lot of them sounded like payback donations from the Billary days).

Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
I dont live in Arkansas but i think Hillary is our best chance to get health care for the working poor. I think tax $$ will be spent nomatter who is elected and I would rather spend it on social issues than senseless wars. just my humble opinion.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Just so you know Sam, I voted for Hillary.

DC

Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 46,114 times
Hi,

I'm from Connecticut, just bought a house in Arkansas. Why is Hillary unpopular with many from Arkansas? In Connecticut most people don't even know the name of the Governor's spouse let alone have an opinion of him/her.

MSP

Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspond1 View Post
Hi,

I'm from Connecticut, just bought a house in Arkansas. Why is Hillary unpopular with many from Arkansas? In Connecticut most people don't even know the name of the Governor's spouse let alone have an opinion of him/her.

MSP
Well...one reason I can't stand her is because I was in school during the time period when she tried to develop her school "reform" that she seems so proud to talk about on the campaign trail. One of her great ideas was to consolidate all of the small rural schools and make larger school districts but without distributed campuses. Sounds great on the surface, less overhead from admin and building upkeep and maintenance. However, it totally neglected the fact that Arkansas is very rural state and a good number (perhaps over half) of children in these consolidated districts would have to be bussed over an hour to the new central campus. My bus route as a child was an hour to start with and I only lived 7 miles from my school. My route was through the boonies, the REAL boonies. It took us an hour to drive maybe 10-15 miles and pick up 20 kids. Now add to that having to drive to another town 25 or 30 miles away. She had no concept of what Arkansas is/was like outside of Little Rock. And yes, it really was HER concept. The reality is that she did almost nothing for Arkansas schools that is truly noteworthy except to try to ruin them and make it even harder for children who grew like me to even get an education. She's an elitist, pure and simple.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
I wouldn't say she tried to ruin Arkansas' schools. But people who grow up in urban environments (it's possible that Fayetteville was the most rural town she's ever lived in, and Fayetteville is one of the largest cities in Arkansas) see busing as an integration issue, they just don't have any idea of what it's like for children to have to ride buses for hours to get to a school. That said, education did improve while Bill Clinton was governor. There was more funding, new textbooks were brought in, teachers salaries increased. Consolidation was probably a bigger issue while Huckabee was governor because of the whole court thing.

I don't think Hillary is an elitist, either. She just wasn't a native Arkansan, and never did assimilate.

DC

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Hopefully the tornadoes won't blow all the ballots away

Your all under a High Risk of tornadoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas