Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Hes conservative on God, gays, and guns. He has made that the center of his platform. He is unelectable because he has no appeal to anybody who is not a fundamentalist Christian.
absolutely not true: many of our friends including our Brdge friends are strongly backing him. These are people who are not overly conservative, some democrats and none are anywhere near fundamentalists. Obviously you do not like him so are giving a blank statement. I am not saying he is electable or he will get the nomination, but to make a statement that only one group will support him is rediculous. One more supporter, our 21 year old granddaughter who certainly isn't anywhere near a fundmentalist. In fact she has problems with organized relegion period. Am I supporting him? I really don't know.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
He wasn't progressive as governor, he shouldn't be experimenting with the Country.
huh? what does that mean?

Nita

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
He wasn't progressive as governor, he shouldn't be experimenting with the Country.

Actually, he was a very progressive governor (for a governor of Arkansas at least!!) His administration oversaw the growth of lots of small businesses in very high tech industries. During his administration, Arkansas began to match federal technology grants enabling small Arkansas companies like Space Photonics and Arkansas Power Electronics to make very substantial gains in getting their technologies ready for incorporation into space and military applications. That's progressive for Arkansas.

Be that as it may, I no longer support him since his statement about tinkering with the Constitution.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Actually, he was a very progressive governor (for a governor of Arkansas at least!!) His administration oversaw the growth of lots of small businesses in very high tech industries. During his administration, Arkansas began to match federal technology grants enabling small Arkansas companies like Space Photonics and Arkansas Power Electronics to make very substantial gains in getting their technologies ready for incorporation into space and military applications. That's progressive for Arkansas.

Be that as it may, I no longer support him since his statement about tinkering with the Constitution.
I know what you mean about the constitution but I think he amended his statement yesterday explaining what he meant. I still agree with you somewhat as I wasn't quite sure what he really was saying. I will continue to watch what he says and how he handles himself in the next few weeks.

Nita

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
How was Huckabee on taxes? That is where he seems to get hammered pretty hard by conservative commentators.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
How was Huckabee on taxes? That is where he seems to get hammered pretty hard by conservative commentators.
niners fan? well that is a totally different subject.

anyway, my understanding and it is just what I have read from balanced sources; yes, he did raise taxes and did quite a bit but he improved the road conditions, schools etc. I am the number one conservative. Actually I am not, I am a moderate but I don't like to see taxes raised: that being said, I also realize someway the police, schools, roads, etc need to be supported. If not through taxes how? We happen to live in a very poor county here in NM. We have lousey schools, huge welfare problems, most areas have volunteer fire dept, our sheriffs dept is a joke and our country road a bigger joke. How are our taxes? super low, that is one of the reasons we choose to move here. Next time I will pay a little more for some decent services.

Nita

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM

40 posts, read 154,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I hope he will close the borders, And clean America of illegals.

Keep dreaming. If I recall in 2005 he signed a bill that lets illeagles get free education.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,847 times
Default Illeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
Keep dreaming. If I recall in 2005 he signed a bill that lets illeagles get free education.
Illeagles - Sick birds get free education in Arkansas.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Popebiff...

You're British and you're already on this bandwagon? Might want to ratchet that back a notch.

If you have problems with immigration, please take it to the correct forum. The Arkansas forum is for relocation and not debate about the borders. However, if you are moving to Bentonville, I would consider choosing my words more carefully in the future. With a British accent, you're going to be pretty noticeable as a newcomer. More so than a Latino, if you get my drift. You just never know who is on forums like this.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post

Yes the tax burden is higher now. But when you consider how stupidly low the tax burden in this state used to be and how it still compares to the rest of the country, I don't think he did much that is unforgivable even for a small government fiscal conservative like myself. The thing is, and this is where I get miffed, that small government conservatives HAVE to realize that the whole crux of our argument for small government falls apart is we rip a guy apart for raising taxes at the STATE level. Is it not our argument that social programs are much better left to the states to administer??? They are closer to the individual problems that need to be addressed and can directly address the needs of the populace with greater econmic efficiency. So if that's what people like myself are going to say, then we'd better all shut our traps when a governor actually pulls the load for his state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas