Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,044 times

Advertisements

From your neighbor to the north, I wanted to post a few I've taken. If I could, I would move to this beautiful state, but since I can't right now, I'll take the next best thing and hop in my car, drive the few hours it takes, and come down as often as possible to take photos. I've never posted photos to this site, so I hope this works!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-2008-11-22-ar-drive-wmws025   Pictures of Arkansas-2008-11-22-ar-drive-wmws053   Pictures of Arkansas-2009-07-04-wmws197-3-large   Pictures of Arkansas-2009-07-04-wmws341-3-large   Pictures of Arkansas-2009-07-04-wmws538-2-large  

Pictures of Arkansas-ar-drive-090110-wmws159-large-.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-ar-drive-090110-wmws040-256_-large  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM

82 posts, read 223,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post

Are you guys building or was the house already there?
We'll be building a house eventually as the property is raw land. It's level to gently rolling and lightly treed ( red and white oaks, hickory, sassafras, dogwoods...just to name a few).

Went out there last week to do some work. Our family is helping us with the work (for firewood), so we managed to get our driveway cut in, the culvert set up in the highway right of way, clearing for our camper, workshop and chicken coop/run. Also got our waterline dug in and the pipes connected to the main.

Speaking of catfish...we pass through several towns that have a place called Captain Catfish. Everytime I see one of those signs I have to resist the urge to yell out the name like the old Captain Caveman cartoon character.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVKemv0kiE

I bet that would get a great reaction from Skip! LOL

Dawn
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-driveway.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-clearingnwaterline.jpg  

Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Hey, good job on that driveway! They don't even do county roads that good. Some of your neighbors will be jealous.

"Hey look everybody! The new neighbors have put in a two lane driveway."

Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM

82 posts, read 223,916 times
Default Thanks, BW!

We couldn't have done it without the family!

Here's a few more pix from our trips out there...

1. Our dream farm (130 acres)
2. Road to Mom's place
3. Heading to Cave City on Hwy 115 (I think... )
4. Headed north on 167 towards Ash Flat
5. McMansions on the ridge, overlooking Ash Flat (I think... )
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-df.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-r2m.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-ccs.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-d2af.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-mcmansions.jpg  

Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
We couldn't have done it without the family!

Here's a few more pix from our trips out there...

1. Our dream farm (130 acres)
2. Road to Mom's place
3. Heading to Cave City on Hwy 115 (I think... )
4. Headed north on 167 towards Ash Flat
5. McMansions on the ridge, overlooking Ash Flat (I think... )
Those look like uber-McMansions to me!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
5. McMansions on the ridge, overlooking Ash Flat
That main house to the left has been the subject of attention for awhile.

As it was being constructed, it looked entirely like it was being built in two sections that didn't meet. Finally we drove up there (drive is on 63 not far from The Bluff steakhouse) to get a good look.

That thing is freaking huge (as are many others in the hills there) but it was one whole house.

Apparently we weren't the only ones, as there is now a haind painted sign at the drive up warning to keep out or something. The drive goes though trees so you can't see the house from the road.

If you scan carefully going N on 62/412 as you go pass highland and head Hardy, there are a slew of these things dotting the hilsides.

I can assure you they were not built by locals.

Nor by me.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,782 times
We spent a great week up on Lake Ouachita. The kids all had a great time swimming in the lake.

The last morning as we were leaving, the whole lake was covered in fog...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 AM

Amazing, but in my 44 years, the Arkansas state capitol building is the first one I have ever been inside, and only the 2nd I have ever even driven by!
I was not aware you could just wander around the building, I kept expecting a guard to blow his whistle and scream "Stop!" at me!

The governor's meeting room:

The front of the capitol:

A statue in front:

the lower part of the statue:

and finally, I always knew President Clinton had been governor of Arkansas, but I had no idea he was so young when he served. I walked right by the portrait and didn't even realize it was him!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,706 times
Fantastic pictures. Can't wait to retire in Arkansas!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Thank you. I think calling it the Natural State is very apt, it is a beautiful place.

The guard of the capitol building visitor parking lot is a funny guy. We pulled in and parked and as we are getting out of car, he comes over and seeing our Texas plates, asks. "Are you folks from Texas?". I say yes, and in a real serious voice says, "I am sorry, but we do not allow Texans inside the capitol building."
Keep in mind this man looks very much like the guy in OC Choppers. Then he broke a smile and said "just kidding". It was pretty funny, my wife and I talked to him for a while, nice guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas