Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Jackie. I am trying to find out how much Cherokee I have in me. While gathering information I found a picture of my grannies grandpa on Arkansas Cherokee Indian nation web site. His name was Paw Paw Lindsey. I have the same picture in my family tree. We also have a mountain in Arkansas named after my grannies side of family. Holley mountain. Does anyone know how I can or where I can get a blood test to determine how much blood of Cherokee I have in me. Also, anyone that might see this and is related to Paw Paw Lindsey please call me at 661-706-0838. I am trying to get all the information I can. I am so very interested. Thank you:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k213828 View Post
Hi my name is Jackie. I am trying to find out how much Cherokee I have in me. While gathering information I found a picture of my grannies grandpa on Arkansas Cherokee Indian nation web site. His name was Paw Paw Lindsey. I have the same picture in my family tree. We also have a mountain in Arkansas named after my grannies side of family. Holley mountain. Does anyone know how I can or where I can get a blood test to determine how much blood of Cherokee I have in me. Also, anyone that might see this and is related to Paw Paw Lindsey please call me at 661-706-0838. I am trying to get all the information I can. I am so very interested. Thank you:
There are several companies that do DNA for a fee, but even if you have Cherokee, it will only tell you the percentage of Native American, not specific "Tribe".

Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM

322 posts, read 707,798 times
First....there are only three federally recognized Cherokee tribes where Indians are registered. The Cherokee Nation and The United Keetoowah both out in OK. The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in NC. Arkansas Cherokee Indian nation is not an authentic Cherokee tribe. Members ancestry is not proven to be from actual Cherokee peoples and is an organized group of people "claiming" Cherokee ancestry. Faux Cherokee tribe.

These are all the rolls genuine Cherokee are documented, Pre, During and Post Removal.

Eastern Rolls - Cherokee East of the Mississippi
Reservation Rolls of 1817
Emigration Rolls of 1817
Henderson Roll of 1835
Mullay Roll of 1848
Siler Roll of 1851
Chapman Roll of 1852
Swetland Roll of 1869
Hester Roll of 1883
Churchill Roll of 1908
Baker Roll of 1924 - Final Rolls used for enrollment Eastern Band
Eastern portion of the Guion Miller Roll of 1909

Western - Nation and Keetoowah
Old Settler Roll of 1851
Drennen Roll of 1852
Dawes Rolls of 1898-1914 Final Roll Nation and Keetoowah
Western portion of the Guion Miller Roll of 1909

Add...DNA test is not accurate for the % of Native American ancestry in general. The % of ancestry is calculated from a very small panel used for Native America and is an estimate. Fraction (1/2, 2/8, etc.) of tribal blood (which cannot be obtained from a DNA test) is determined how an ancestor(s) degree of tribal blood was registered on tribal rolls. Your degree of tribal blood is calculated from that ancestor. If one is inter-tribal your amount of "Indian" blood can be combined to figure that out.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
First....there are only three federally recognized Cherokee tribes where Indians are registered. The Cherokee Nation and The United Keetoowah both out in OK. The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in NC. Arkansas Cherokee Indian nation is not an authentic Cherokee tribe. Members ancestry is not proven to be from actual Cherokee peoples and is an organized group of people "claiming" Cherokee ancestry. Faux Cherokee tribe.

These are all the rolls genuine Cherokee are documented, Pre, During and Post Removal.

Eastern Rolls - Cherokee East of the Mississippi
Reservation Rolls of 1817
Emigration Rolls of 1817
Henderson Roll of 1835
Mullay Roll of 1848
Siler Roll of 1851
Chapman Roll of 1852
Swetland Roll of 1869
Hester Roll of 1883
Churchill Roll of 1908
Baker Roll of 1924 - Final Rolls used for enrollment Eastern Band
Eastern portion of the Guion Miller Roll of 1909

Western - Nation and Keetoowah
Old Settler Roll of 1851
Drennen Roll of 1852
Dawes Rolls of 1898-1914 Final Roll Nation and Keetoowah
Western portion of the Guion Miller Roll of 1909

Add...DNA test is not accurate for the % of Native American ancestry in general. The % of ancestry is calculated from a very small panel used for Native America and is an estimate. Fraction (1/2, 2/8, etc.) of tribal blood (which cannot be obtained from a DNA test) is determined how an ancestor(s) degree of tribal blood was registered on tribal rolls. Your degree of tribal blood is calculated from that ancestor. If one is inter-tribal your amount of "Indian" blood can be combined to figure that out.

Great detail info. Thanks for sharing. As you well know, there are a lot of "Indian Wannabes" out there. And there is a lot of erroneous family oral history. I was told all my life (primarily by my paternal uncles wife) that I was 1/4 Cherokee, but after I got involved in genealogy I found that if there is any Indian blood in my veins it would fit on the point of a needle. Thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas