Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

The Jonesboro medical facilities are incredibly important to that part of the state. I don't know tha J'boro is "owned" by that any more than it is "owned" by ASU. J'boro is one of the few cities that is holding its own in the delta region of Arkansas. I say anything that will help the masses, and medical care is pretty important.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 AM

61 posts, read 213,477 times
Default oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You forgot Dillard's, Axciom, Windstream, ABF, and JB Hunt. In addition, there are many national corporations with significant presence in Little Rock and NWA.
I didnt Forget I said to name a few!!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM

338 posts, read 1,368,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRY_ANGEL_HORSE View Post
I didnt Forget I said to name a few!!!!!
Well... now we all have a few more! Btw, I like your location: Limbo! (That's where many of us are living these days - good one.)

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 50,255 times
Since I was born "Yankee", I'd like to comment on some of these statements posted here. Yes, stereotyping is everywhere and unfortunately so is the KKK. Anyone who asks about the KKK being in Arkansas is likely young and very naive. I'm from a small town in far north Illinois, just south of Wisconsin and I can tell you the KKK was very much active in that town not that long ago. Nobody lived there unless they were white up until about ten or so years ago and it's still predominantly white.

I would also like to say most of the Arkansans I've met are kind and polite. I couldn't believe it only took me ten minutes to get my drivers license. Up north I would have been waiting 1 1/2 hours before they even call my number. Where I'm from up north people are typically rude, but we're used to it for the most part. Everyone has an attitude and acts like it's a inconvience to do their job. Life is fast paced, busy, over-crowded, and traffic is backed up for hours. I guess that might contribute to the crankiness.

Now although I said most Arkansans are nice, I didn't say all. I've had unpleasant encounters. There are some who don't respond well when they hear a northern accent. Usually they don't say anything, but it shows in the attitude.

I don't ever disrespect anyone based on their race or culture, but if someone disrespects me, my "Yankee" will come out when rightfully justified.

As for culture, there are farms all over the U.S. not just here in Arkansas. I however didn't grow up on a farm or knew anyone who did. When I hear some of my neighbors talk about their farming days, I'm fascinated by it because I've never experienced it and I want to hear more, I think it's totally cool. So when someone asks you about the farms in Arkansas, it's probably not because they're poking fun at you, it's curiousity. College football vs. NFL is another example. I wouldn't watch a Razorback game if my life depended on it, although I would break my neck to see a Bears game. So what I'm trying to say is everyone is different and we have to learn to respect each other. I'll never understand why it's so hard for people, I guess it's just human nature.

People really do need to get out and learn something about the United States, cultures and life styles. Life does exist across the globe and everyone should experience it in order to respect it. That goes for Arkansans and non-Arkansans.

PEACE!!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 AM

355 posts, read 990,486 times
I think that most people have no idea how beautiful Arkansas really is.....if I were you, I'd keep it a secret.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Thumbs up Yankees & Southerners

[quote=CubsRock!!!;3069920]Since I was born "Yankee", ...I'm from a small town in far north Illinois, just south of Wisconsin and I can tell you the KKK was very much active in that town not that long ago. ...

Yes. This is true. I can remember about 8 years ago there was a big KKK rally being publicized in that area. I could hardly believe it, but unforunately, it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsRock!!! View Post
... to get my drivers license. Up north I would have been waiting 1 1/2 hours before they even call my number. Where I'm from up north people are typically rude, but we're used to it for the most part. Everyone has an attitude and acts like it's a inconvience to do their job. Life is fast paced, busy, over-crowded, and traffic is backed up for hours. I guess that might contribute to the crankiness.
It's interesting reading your post. You list born "Yankee" with a location of Searcy, AR; I was born a "Southerner" and live in the Midwest! Lol. And what you are describing is the same as I would describe it. Esp. the part about ppl acting as if doing their job inconveniences them. I would never want to live in CHI. It's nice to visit sometimes, and I guess if I had to, I could probably handle it for about a year or so, but yes - the pace, overcrowdedness, traffic lined up - certainly contributes to ppl's crankiness. I have worked for a small company for some time simply for some of those reasons. I love waking up and just grabbing a mug o' hot whatever and getting right to work bright and early in my pjs and no traffic. I am much more productive and much more at-peace than many who end up at work already stressed out from the morning drive. I think after awhile ppl just decide what's most important to them - money and what it might bring, or to pull out of the rat race and "make do" (as some would say who observe them) living the "good life" (the ones who are living it).

Quote:
Now although I said most Arkansans are nice, I didn't say all. I've had unpleasant encounters. There are some who don't respond well when they hear a northern accent. Usually they don't say anything, but it shows in the attitude.
Just an fyi... it might not be an attitude thing as much as they might simply not be able to understand what you're saying and don't know what to say or ask you to repeat yourself. My Northern Dad married my Southern Mom. He tells stories about when they first married - what he thought might have been rudeness on my Mom's part always talking after he did to her Mom - was simply a translation in process! And even though I was raised in the South, I honestly have a difficult time sometimes understanding what they are saying, but I don't mind asking ppl to repeat themselves as many times as it takes or to spell words that don't make sense - until there's a mutual understanding. Esp. with slang words - and asking where they can be found (e.g., bubbler/water fountain; soda/coke; restroom/bathroom/toilet; etc.)

Quote:
I don't ever disrespect anyone based on their race or culture, but if someone disrespects me, my "Yankee" will come out when rightfully justified.
Maybe try another approach. Sometimes it's just the difference of asking them... "You are coming across as "disrespectful..." is that what you intended?" (Or whatever you think they are being. (Or just ask them what they were intending or meant when they said it.) If they say yes, then boo on them and walk away. If they say no, then you've given them a chance to restate themselves, and they will most likely respect you more for it and might even apologize.

If they say no and do it again, then it is likely they are being sarcastic or are truly just plain ignorant/inexperienced. Forgive them in your mind for their ignorance or lack of experience and move forward and seek other like-minded individuals who will accept and respect you for who you are and what you have to offer. You are right - not everyone is the same, and for whatever reason, it is harder for some ppl. And for them, I think at that point it would be easier for those of us who do accept and respect others, to accept them for who and where they are and hope they someday come to better understanding of the world around them.

Well-stated words you shared. There is a verse in the Bible that says, "Seek peace and pursue it." To me it seems a bit redundant - seek & pursue... are they not one and the same? But if it *is* redundant then perhaps the point is more to encourage a double-measure of peace-seeking for as little of it as there seems to be in this world sometimes.

Or maybe to seek it, and then to continue to do so once you find it as to not risk losing it again.

"Blessed are the peace-makers" is another one. Peace-makers *are* blessed - they have inner peace in their lives, they seem to experience greater true joy, they seem to be more grateful. They are kinder towards others than others who lived stress-filled lives. When bad things happen, it seems easier for them to "let go" and accept the hardship or inconvenience with greater stride. They seem to live more moment-by-moment than those who live year-to-year, forecasting what they cannot know until they will ever arrive. They smile easier, and even their faces seem to just have a peaceful look that remains even through the storms around them and others they know. They are quick to not only seek solutions but do what they can to contribute in the process.

Hm... Arkansans, to me, seem more peace-filled than many others I have met in life. Yes - they live what some would mock as a "simpler" life, but many Arkansans live according to a different set of priorities... ppl first - rather than spending half their life acquiring status and the latter half of their life trying to protect it. But this could be said of others in other places. But since this is a thread about Arkansans, I would say they have a particular way about them that I believe is reflective of that.

Peace backatcha Cubs fan. And I hope you see that game someday!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM

14 posts, read 50,255 times
WOW!!! JustT&Me, you are really good!!! You definately gave me something to think about. Thank you....
You're right about people pausing when I speak. They first think about the sound of my voice and realize they have to listen close to understand me and I am aware of this.

I had a job for several years speaking with clients domestic and international. It took a long time for me to get used to heavy foreign accents so I understand what your saying. But I have come across a few unpleasant people and when it happens I just shake my head and walk away, I don't inflict my Yankee on em. I haven't yet anyway (just kidding).

I lived in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois for the past few years before moving to Searcy.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Accents.

Quote:
WOW!!! JustT&Me, you are really good!!! You definately gave me something to think about. Thank you....
You're right about people pausing when I speak. They first think about the sound of my voice and realize they have to listen close to understand me and I am aware of this.
You're welcome, Cubs! "One is happy to be of service!" (Bicentennial Man, Robin Williams - a great addition to the topic ... did you see this? Do you remember the breakfast scene?) All through that movie, there were many innuendos demonstrating how language can be so sorely misunderstood! Great movie, by the way. I like the roles he chooses - very humanistic, IMO.

Quote:
I lived in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois for the past few years before moving to Searcy.
Why Searcy?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 AM

113 posts, read 277,411 times
Default It is all an illusion!

Hillbillies in Arkansas! No way, that is an illusion fueled by hatred. Hmm, lets see, I remember being in Berryville and their city parks had actual shooting ranges. Interesting concept half city park/half shooting range. Let's see, I went to Harrison, and that turns out to be a KKK stronghold., hillbillies, NO WAY! What else? Eureka Springs has a statue of Jesus. I remember driving through a small town called Alpena and there were a group of hicks standing around their big truck all in camouflage suits thinking they were the hottest **** in town. As you can see, all the stereotypes are false and propagated by people that HATE Arkansas. No truth at all to these statements!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:49 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Well, I see from your other posts you are looking to move from Minneapolis. At least you can cross AR off your list!

As explanation in part to others reading this thread - the statue of Jesus in Eureka? Home of the great Passion Play, which draws quite the number of tourists yearly to that part of the state. People really shouldn't make fun of what they don't know the history or reason behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas