Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
If we move there it would be Fayetteville area
Fayetteville is a great choice! If I were to move to AR, I'd probably choose the same.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I personally feel you should accept everyone for who they are. Are you saying I won't be accepted if I don't go to church and claim I am a christian? I believe in God, but not organized religion. If that is the case then I too won't be moving there.

Debbie.....
No, I wasn't saying that....I was saying that it's ironic that many of the very same people who call Christians "intolerant", narrow-minded, backward, uncultured, and put them down for not "accepting everyone for who they are" are VERY intolerant of Christians, and some would even go so far as to outlaw any public expression of the Christian faith....but Muslims (for example)? Hey, whatever they want to do is ok with them....let them ring their bells loudly three times a day and disturb everyone (as has happened in countries overseas)...gotta let everyone have free expression of their faith, (even thought that may mean cutting your head off) right?.....except for Christians.

But, that isn't what this thread is about, is it. So, on to other subjects. I don't know personally how you'll be accepted....I've been accepted just fine in the area where our cabin is, but I like going to church, so I can't give you any personal advice on your situation....although my brother, who isn't a dedicated church-goer, has also been accepted. Granted, this is anisolated and sparsely populated area I'm talking about here.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,086 times
I can some it up like this.............................. Moderator cut: edit, edit, edit You'll be fine everywhere else too....nobody's gonna lynch you, call you names, commit hate crimes against you or any of that. They may not be your friend but they'll definitely leave you alone. Ive been to Provincetown Massachusetts, i met several people there who were possibly relocating to Hot Springs.........I think that says it all right there folks....You do not have to be a bible thumping southern baptist to fit in in Arkansas... Moderator cut: edit I'm a very accepting person

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-10-2008 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM

14 posts, read 50,262 times
JustT&Me,
I haven't seen Bicentennial Man, I'll have to watch it next time it's on. It's been out a few years right? Robin Williams is going to be on NBC's Law & Order April 29th.

Why Searcy? My parents like Searcy and decided they want to spend the rest of their retirement here. Both parents have health problems and have reached the point of needing some assistance. At some point I will most likely move back north, I miss my friends and I miss home. I don't miss the snow!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,735 times
A Redneck student was visiting a Yankee relative ...
He went to a large party and met a pretty co-ed. He was attempting to start up a conversation with the line, "Where does you go to school?"

The coed, of course, was not overly impressed with his grammar or southern drawl, but did answer his question. "Yale," she replied.

The Georgia student took a big, deep breath and shouted, "WHERE DOES YOU GO TO SCHOOL?"

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
I find this discussion rather fascinating. I'm a yankee who's never been to Arkansas (well, I probably drove through it once or twice on my way elsewhere, but don't remember a thing about it). Never really thought much about it aside from my moments of fascination at just how brilliant Bill Clinton is (no jokes please - even when I disagree with his perspectives or personal choices, I'm always impressed with just how thoroughly he understands the issues).

This discussion has challenged me to figure out what my gut impression is of Arkansas. For better or worse, Mike Huckabee is probably a good representation of my impression (right or wrong it may be). On one hand, he has that southern religious extremism thing going on where rationality is burdened by generations of culture. Yet on the other hand, he's clearly very intelligent and has very rational policies that reflect a mixture of deep Southern conservatism and Midwestern rationality and moderation.

I guess that's what I think of when I think of Arkansas: a fraying edge of the Southern Bible Belt and a touch of the Midwestern work ethic and rationality.

I hope I'm not offending anybody - like I said, I don't know anything about the state except my gut reaction to it.

On another note - I think it's funny how many Texans have posted on here complaining about their stereotype as cowboys. I think that is a self-perpetuating stereotype that they subconsciously take a little pride in. My impression of Texas is a bunch of soft suburbanites who think they need to drive huge trucks to go to the same repeating layers of Outback Steakhouses and Sam's Clubs that Minnesotans and Oregonians go to. I guess I've been to Texas too many times for my own good.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-25-2008 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

I guess that's what I think of when I think of Arkansas: a fraying edge of the Southern Bible Belt and a touch of the Midwestern work ethic and rationality.

I hope I'm not offending anybody - like I said, I don't know anything about the state except my gut reaction to it.

On another note - I think it's funny how many Texans have posted on here complaining about their stereotype as cowboys. I think that is a self-perpetuating stereotype that they subconsciously take a little pride in. My impression of Texas is a bunch of soft suburbanites who think they need to drive huge trucks to go to the same repeating layers of Outback Steakhouses and Sam's Clubs that Minnesotans and Oregonians go to. I guess I've been to Texas too many times for my own good.
I think you're conception is very rational and moderate and not far from the truth even though it is somewhat a high level overview.

I also believe that we tend to perpetuate our own stereotypes as hillbillies in much the same manner as you talk about Texans. Most Arkansans I know feel perfectly free reveling in hillbilly jokes and poking fun at ourselves...however, don't let us hear someone from Illinois, etc. saying them. But when a self-image is that ingrained by years upon years of jokes by outsiders how can we not identify with it? I think it's up to us to change our own self-image first before anyone else will change their image of us. We need to redefine what hillbilly means and embrace it. I think many people on this board have done just that.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
I also believe that we tend to perpetuate our own stereotypes as hillbillies in much the same manner as you talk about Texans. Most Arkansans I know feel perfectly free reveling in hillbilly jokes and poking fun at ourselves...however, don't let us hear someone from Illinois, etc. saying them. But when a self-image is that ingrained by years upon years of jokes by outsiders how can we not identify with it? I think it's up to us to change our own self-image first before anyone else will change their image of us. We need to redefine what hillbilly means and embrace it. I think many people on this board have done just that.[/quote]

I think you're about 99% right, but I also feel like, "Who cares what they think?".

I jumped in another thread recently after reading a number of threads of people wanting to relocate here, and some hissy-fits going on, etc.

As I pointed out in the previous thread, I'm a hillbilly.

I don't mind anybody knowing that.

I wear t-shirts, jeans and workboots, and drive an old pickup truck. I hunt, fish, and I eat racoon and greens.

I look just like the high six-figure cattle rancher on the farm next to mine.

Also like the mega-realtor in town who owns about 6,000 acres and runs a couple thousand head of cattle.

I'm also double degreed and self-retired, as are a number of "hillbillys" I know.

When you talk about people who have no motivation, live off welfare, have 5 kids all with different last names, try to get enough money to get some meth, and have cardboard over the broken windows in their trailer, let me tell you, I've been through most of the U.S., and that's universal.

When I worked in Chicago, they were referred to as "trailer trash".

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that people think of in the south as "hillbillys", and that's not the case. I can accept that if you dress like we do and drive a pickup, maybe dip skoal, and sing along with 'Merle' on the radio, you're heading in the right direction, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a badge of honor.

I've worked in the biggest cities with people who have a lot of money, and i prefere the folks here in the hills. Some of them have a *lot* of money, but you can't tell them from the people who don't have the proverbial pot nor the window to throw it out.

Arkansas is a diverse state. It's a beautiful state. We are fortunate to live here and I can spite no one for wanting to relocate here.

You are *not* going to convince somebody from out of state to look at you differently. Man, you can show up in a Lacoste' shirt, and Sperry top siders, but as soon as you say "y'all" one time, your sunk.

We should be concerned more about the really important issues in life, like....WHAT'S WITH THE ONE DAY MODERN GUN SEASON IN ZONE 4?????

See what I mean?

Life is way too short to have outsiders dictate it for us.

As a buddy of mine recently told me at a barbecue, "Did you know the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas?" (uh...no...I didn't) "Well.....it just makes sense, otherwise it would have been called a 'teeth' brush".

Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM

338 posts, read 1,368,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
...I eat racoon and greens...."Did you know the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas?" (uh...no...I didn't) "Well.....it just makes sense, otherwise it would have been called a 'teeth' brush".
Lol. Enjoyed your post. But I was wondering... how do you cook your raccoon? (Besides frying it battered in a cast-iron skillet... .) I mean... I always wondered how much meat there can actually be on a raccoon. Although they are fairly large animals, what parts would one eat? Raccoon rump roast? TheySeriously... since you do eat it. Are raccoons an animal considered more likely to be rabied? Or would that even matter once you cook it?

And the joke about the "teethbrush" is certainly comical. Thank you for sharing your hillbilly thoughts.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
... how do you cook your raccoon? (Besides frying it battered in a cast-iron skillet... .)

Very, very carefully. Make *real* sure it's dead first. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm just joshin'. Actually, it depends on the age. Young racoon is really great barbecued. If you don't have a pit, use a Weber kettle, move all the coals to the sides, set a pan of water in the middle, and cook it low & slow for about 2 hrs before you start mopping sauce on it.

Younger racoon is also good fried, as is most everything else. You know we use "lawry's" seasoned salt on everything but breakfast cereal, and that's up for debate.

Older racoon is best done in a pressure cooker. Especially if you bread it up real good. Tenderizes that puppy post haste.

Get some greens, turnip, collard, mustard, don't make no difference. If you got a butcher shop around, you can get some fatback, if not, use a hamhock, and cook those greens for about an hour to an hour and a half.

Serve that with the coon, and you got some *real* good eatin'.

Most important thing is, when you clean the coon, make sure you get the "kernels". That's little dark pea-size things under the legs, and sometimes a couple along the sides. They're obvious. Those are scent glands, and you really ain't gonna want to eat that puppy if you don't cut those out. It's easy.

Man.........is this gonna convince folks not to move here or what?

I "tag along" on coon hunts, because if you ever want to get fully involved in it, have a fat checkbook. If you don't know how to train a coon hound, you're not gonna believe what a trained one goes for, and you need several.

No, racoons can get rabies, but I've never seen one down here. I saw one rabid in Chicagoland, and it's real apparent that they're hurtin' when they've got it. They kinda stagger around and don't run away from you.

You'll know if a rabid animal has been found. On the radio, TV, and the grapevine. Word travels faster than when Donnie Joe's daughter got pregnant *again*.

And the joke about the "teethbrush" is certainly comical. Thank you for sharing your hillbilly thoughts.
Yeah, when I recovered from laughing, the ol' boy was staring at me and said, "Well...........it just makes sense.....don't it?"

Man, I about filled my pampers. Ya know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas