Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
California is overall the most scenic state, in my and many others’ opinions. For all its faults, and there are many, California is a very beautiful and scenic state. It has so much geographical diversity that no other state can compare. You may hate its politics or its high cost of living or its overcrowded metros (and those are fair criticisms), but you have to give Cali its due as a beautiful state.

But I still want to move out of that state, which is why I’m here reading this thread. I’m researching possible relocation destinations. I spent every summer as a teenager with relatives in southeastern Oklahoma (LeFlore County), and I loved the area. I also spent a lot of time in and around Ft. Smith, so I got to know parts of Arkansas well. I love the greenery and the hills and the wide open spaces, but I dislike the heat and humidity.
It's not very hot anymore. I've been pretty surprised at the last 5-8 years. Ten years ago, this place was so hot or the kind where you think you're gonna die-hot. We didn't have much of a summer last year and no winter, either. Our winter was rain. Our summer only lasted from, say, mid-June till mid-August and never got that hot. It's strange to me after living here for 48 years but Northwest Arkansas hasn't been sweltering hot in a long time. It's like we have two seasons here, spring and fall. I'm talking about Northwest Arkansas. Fort Smith seems to stay 3-4 degrees hotter ( or maybe that was just last year) Now we are behind on rain. Global warming in the south turned out to be global cooling, or some messed up system I certainly can't identify.

Northwest Arkansas is turning out to be a tropical climate, without a lot of rain, to back-up my *tropical statement*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
It's not very hot anymore. I've been pretty surprised at the last 5-8 years. Ten years ago, this place was so hot or the kind where you think you're gonna die-hot. We didn't have much of a summer last year and no winter, either. Our winter was rain. Our summer only lasted from, say, mid-June till mid-August and never got that hot. It's strange to me after living here for 48 years but Northwest Arkansas hasn't been sweltering hot in a long time. It's like we have two seasons here, spring and fall. I'm talking about Northwest Arkansas. Fort Smith seems to stay 3-4 degrees hotter ( or maybe that was just last year) Now we are behind on rain. Global warming in the south turned out to be global cooling, or some messed up system I certainly can't identify.

Northwest Arkansas is turning out to be a tropical climate, without a lot of rain, to back-up my *tropical statement*.
You are right. The climate has not gotten hotter in this region, it has moderated. The summers are not too hot, the winters are not bitterly cold. The grass has been staying green all summer. Frankly it has been fantastic for a few years. Sort of a temperate -continental climate.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
You are right. The climate has not gotten hotter in this region, it has moderated. The summers are not too hot, the winters are not bitterly cold. The grass has been staying green all summer. Frankly it has been fantastic for a few years. Sort of a temperate -continental climate.
That is an interesting observation, and almost makes
me believe what one "prophet" has said about the Ozark
region being blessed by God, for survival in the end times.

(But no, I still don't believe his prophesy,
though I can see why he thinks that.)

Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That is an interesting observation, and almost makes
me believe what one "prophet" has said about the Ozark
region being blessed by God, for survival in the end times.

(But no, I still don't believe his prophesy,
though I can see why he thinks that.)
You are so right. ( I had no idea) I guess, sevral people are here for that reason. I had no idea until I asked someone who gets around to more coffee shops than I do. Me? I don't care what people think and mostly live in my own head but medication helps with open-mindedness. Anyway, he knew the profit was Edgar Cayce and had talked to several people here that thought this was the spot for safety in case of an apocalypse.

I don't know if everyone is here for this but we are crammed too close for comfort. We can handle growth and the good news is 1-49 is now three lanes in some places, which has been long overdue. It might be just that the streets needed to be upgraded. ( which is the most likely culprit)

Highest Growth

1. Little Rock
2. Fort Smith
3. Fayetteville
4. Springdale

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 04-07-2018 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Don't know who Edgar Cayce is. His isn't who I was talking about.
Don't want to say who it is, just that he thinks what he thinks,
and even though I don't agree with his theology, I can see
why he would think this place is blessed.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
I've heard about Edgar Cayce on Coast to Coast AM, an overnight radio show. Some sort of prophet that supposedly predicted stuff. Lived around the turn of the last century.
The Ozarks do attract preppers.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I've heard about Edgar Cayce on Coast to Coast AM, an overnight radio show. Some sort of prophet that supposedly predicted stuff. Lived around the turn of the last century.
I don't listen to Coast to Coast. I did back when Art Bell ran it, but I listened for entertainment, nuff said.
Quote:
The Ozarks do attract preppers.
It attracted me. LoL.
(Calling me a true prepper is somewhat of a stretch.)

Old 04-08-2018, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
You are so right. ( I had no idea) I guess, sevral people are here for that reason. I had no idea until I asked someone who gets around to more coffee shops than I do. Me? I don't care what people think and mostly live in my own head but medication helps with open-mindedness. Anyway, he knew the profit was Edgar Cayce and had talked to several people here that thought this was the spot for safety in case of an apocalypse.

I don't know if everyone is here for this but we are crammed too close for comfort. We can handle growth and the good news is 1-49 is now three lanes in some places, which has been long overdue. It might be just that the streets needed to be upgraded. ( which is the most likely culprit)

Highest Growth

1. Little Rock
2. Fort Smith
3. Fayetteville
4. Springdale
I am surprised about the Ft Smith being one of the highest growth areas. I would have put Rogers/Benterville on the list or I guess I should say, I would think they would be on the list over Ft Smith.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
Well, we done went to Arkansas and returned. Went to the Murfreesboro and Hot Springs area. Used those places as a base. Was limited with time also.

Was welcomed with rain and hail, and when we left, it was raining. So couldn't really go out and explore much.

Really liked what we saw, scenery wise. Was very different. But beautiful!

Glenwood really appealed to me and seemed as if it was calling me. Mboro was small but seemed like a great place also. Jobs...ehh...if we bought out a home with land, we could make savings stretch. Would be hard to save and make a living.

I appreciate all the responses. I do believe there is another trip being made to Arkansas and explore more. Hopefully without the rain!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Well, we done went to Arkansas and returned. Went to the Murfreesboro and Hot Springs area. Used those places as a base. Was limited with time also.

Was welcomed with rain and hail, and when we left, it was raining. So couldn't really go out and explore much.

Really liked what we saw, scenery wise. Was very different. But beautiful!

Glenwood really appealed to me and seemed as if it was calling me. Mboro was small but seemed like a great place also. Jobs...ehh...if we bought out a home with land, we could make savings stretch. Would be hard to save and make a living.

I appreciate all the responses. I do believe there is another trip being made to Arkansas and explore more. Hopefully without the rain!
this spring has sucked weather wise, but the warmth is on the way,Thank Goodness. I feel sorry for those who sell their produce at the farmers markets for starters. A few markets, due to open last weekend will open this weekend or next.

Come back when the weather is nice. If you like what you saw this time, you will love it next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas