Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane View Post
I can relate to your points here. Even "whites" have a lot of diversite among themselves. I hate to use the term white, because we are all from such different cultures (Irish, English, German, Russian, Australian...), and we are put in the same category by many races. I think we differ mostly because of our socioeconomic status. People will hear only what they want to hear, or they won't hear it.

Where is the old city? Were they accepting of each other? Did they mingle with outsiders, or stay in their own groups?
1)True, yes indeed. I am of a more Eastern European ancestry, with broader less angular facial features, and dark curly hair... I hate to generalize, but almost everyone around here is fair with angular, more pointy features. I truly do stand out, and I do feel it. It's all a matter of degrees...

2)I lived in a medium size city in Western Canada. It was a college town with MANY diverse races - and everyone really hung out together. I had friends who were from India, South America, Japan, China, you name it, not mention gay and straight. There didn't seem to be such dividing lines between people. I think the fact it was a large campus that many people traveled to made a difference. As well, I lived in an urban, artistic type of neighborhood that didn't have a "typical" sort of resident. We sought it out because it was diverse. Here, such a neighborhood doesn't exist!

Last edited by kitty71; 12-31-2006 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: misplaced text within quotes

Old 12-31-2006, 03:21 PM

Default for lindat

Linda, if you are reading this, I am talking about our very own City Park! I hope you agree with what I say. I look back fondly on all the interesting times I had living there and in "toon town" - I do miss the university crowd, that's for sure.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beulah View Post
Have you fought for diversity or do you care.
Quite frankly, I don't care at all. I do my level best to deal with people as people and individuals, not races, genders, nationalities, orientations or anything else. As far as I'm concerned, to do otherwise is nothing more than racism, bias, divisiveness or bigotry.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM

I think that recognizing one's heritage through special customs (ie celebrating Chinese New Year, or Ukrainian Christmas) is a wonderful way to give your children a sense of self and identity. Traditions are what keep people interesting, and there's nothing racist about that - in fact, it is fun and brings people closer together and helps them understand more about other cultures.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM

33 posts, read 73,598 times
What happened to the talk about diversity? Stick to the topic please.
What happened to Beulah?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 PM

14 posts, read 38,313 times
Default Fight for Diversity?

Has Beaulah ever said exactly what the heck she's talking about? Fight to be "different". Heck, we're all "different". Sadly, so. The "PC Culture" has gotten so ridiculous that, it seems to me, those who want to "fight for diversity" want an "anything goes" society free from judgment, blame, and personal responsibility. And, they want it legally rammed down, up, and into every available orifice of the rest of us. And, if I disagree or in any way disapprove of their particular brand of "diversity", they have the "right" to label me a bigot - close-minded - a racist.

If you want to have sex with a person of the same sex - fine. Just don't expect me to say "That's wonderful".

If you want sneak into the U.S. to work in order to improve your family's life "back home" - fine. Just don't expect me to pay your health care, educate your children, and provide housing. Also, don't whine when you're caught and I put you on the next bus/plane/boat "back home" and send your country the bill.

If you want to come to the U.S. to take advantage of the opportunities afforded nowhere else in the world - fine. Come. Assimilate. Embrace our culture. Learn our language. Be an "American", not a "___-american".

If you want to come to the U.S. and your culture/religion is in direct conflict with the traditions of Judeo-Christianity - fine. But don't expect us to stop eating meat, working on Friday, carrying booze in a taxi, or shopping on Sunday because YOUR culture/religion forbids it.

And, lastly, if your religion says it's ok to lie to infidels in order achieve Allah's, or Jehovah's, or beelzebub's will, and to use whatever means are necessary to eliminate and wipe from the map those who do not believe the same as you, then don't be surprised when your headquarters gets a visit from a USAF JADAM or LAHAT guided missle one night.

I'm pretty sure The Bill of Rights contains no language regarding your right not to be offended. Have a nice day!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 38,313 times
Default Good Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I think that recognizing one's heritage through special customs (ie celebrating Chinese New Year, or Ukrainian Christmas) is a wonderful way to give your children a sense of self and identity. Traditions are what keep people interesting, and there's nothing racist about that - in fact, it is fun and brings people closer together and helps them understand more about other cultures.
Exactly. But, what I think is going on is some notion that the rest of us MUST approve or buy into a particular "diversity" (diversion?) in order for the "divertors" (is that a word?) to achieve some sort of validation.

Unfortunately, one definition of "diversion" overlooked is : to amuse; entertain. On the other hand, "diversionary" means "serving to distract the enemy from the main point of attack" - the main point of attack being the American way of life. :-|

Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM

33 posts, read 73,598 times
Hmmm... Interesting.
Diversify and ambush?
We are definately a distracted lot. Mainly distracted by $$$$ and greed .

Old 01-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeorganic View Post

If I choose to hate, dismiss, or marginalize any person or group based on race, creed, color, religion... that is my individual choice. All the propaganda ads on TV and radio promoting any "liberal" agenda and all the government legislation in the world isn't going to matter. I am still free to think and feel whatever I want about anyone I want. It is my individual choice and right to associate with anyone I choose to. If you (generally speaking) hate me, ect., because of whatever reason- that's your choice. It's not going to affect my life one iota. ...
I guess one could say the same for "choosing" to CELEBRATE a group based on race, creed, color, religion... that is my or their individual choice, as you said. To each his own, and thank goodness for freedom!!

(I hesitate to post because it seems like everything I post here gets deleted, but I'll try anyway.)

Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I guess one could say the same for "choosing" to CELEBRATE a group based on race, creed, color, religion... that is my or their individual choice, as you said. To each his own, and thank goodness for freedom!!

(I hesitate to post because it seems like everything I post here gets deleted, but I'll try anyway.)
To tell the truth is not racism its just the truth. I know alot of people have a big problem understanding the defference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas