Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 14,744 times

Advertisements

I am considering Arkansas as a possible retirement area for cost of living and health reasons. Moving from Wyoming. Winters here can be -25 to +15 degrees in the same day and 3-5% humidity, constant winds 30-70 mph winds. All of which cause all kinds of health issues. I have asthma, COPD, and i am prone to sinus infections.
What areas would you suggest for allergy reasons, for cost of living, which part of the state usually has a somewhat lower" humidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 01:11 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScttLee View Post
I am considering Arkansas as a possible retirement area for cost of living and health reasons. Moving from Wyoming. Winters here can be -25 to +15 degrees in the same day and 3-5% humidity, constant winds 30-70 mph winds. All of which cause all kinds of health issues. I have asthma, COPD, and i am prone to sinus infections.
What areas would you suggest for allergy reasons, for cost of living, which part of the state usually has a somewhat lower" humidity?
Do you want to be closer to larger towns or want to be more rural?

Generally, the higher elevations will have lower humidity. I know what we call higher elevations is not very high to someone from WY though, lol. The NW quadrant of AR is going to be where you find the those spots but depending on more details, it is hard to answer with more specifics.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Well Arkansas has pollen...lots of pollen. So thick at times you can sweep it off our car, porch, walkway. I would suggest you look at the Fayetteville area.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:55 PM

60,000 population, 1-2 hrs to a large city with cultural events and music festivals. Or a good suburb of a large city

Old 03-25-2021, 05:13 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Quote:
60,000 population, 1-2 hrs to a large city with cultural events and music festivals. Or a good suburb of a large city
I consider 60K population a large city, lol. Sounds like somewhere around NWA for you.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the input. Kinda-sort narrowed it down to Fort Smith or the Springdale areas. Many years ago, I lived in Oklahoma City. Ballpark question: how dissimilar or similar is the summer climate of the listed cities/areas to Oklahoma City? Temps mid-day humidity, etc.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:44 PM

451 posts, read 422,357 times
a great site for camparing weather stats between cities is weather spark (one word) dot com Hopefully not violating regs here. not trying to promote anything just helping.

I am looking between cities also and this is extremely helpful. Good luck on your hunt.

I was really looking at Arky but at this point high temps and muggines in summer have sort of ruled it out.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Kinda-sort narrowed it down to Fort Smith or the Springdale areas. Many years ago, I lived in Oklahoma City. Ballpark question: how dissimilar or similar is the summer climate of the listed cities/areas to Oklahoma City? Temps mid-day humidity, etc.
Ft. Smith is on the Arkansas River, well to the south of Springdale, and has lower elevation, though modest mountains are nearby to both the north and south, which is nice for daytrips. It is more humid and thus feels hotter in the summers there than in Springdale, though both are hot rather than warm during the summer. You'll just feel it more in Ft. Smith, which otherwise is an attractive, very historic town, with more to offer than is sometimes realized. Springdale is a boom town at present - Ft. Smith is not. That could be a plus or a minus for either city.

I am not up on OC's summer climate, so will leave that for others to answer, though I'd guess that Springdale would be cooler.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:22 PM

23 posts, read 41,452 times
Quote:
I have asthma, COPD, and i am prone to sinus infections.
Not sure Arkansas as a whole is the best place with your existing conditions. If set on Arkansas, Northwest Arkansas is your best bet, look at Siloam Springs area.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:51 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:
I would think high humidity would not be good. Might be best to stay west and move to milder winter climate like New Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas