Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:16 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times

Advertisements

I'm reading that Gov. Hutchinson signed the controversial stand-your-ground self-defense legislation into law Wednesday.

What is controversial here???

The bill removes a provision of Arkansas' self-defense laws that requires a person to attempt a retreat if he can do so with "complete safety" before using deadly force in self-defense.
But opponents of the bill, including gun-control groups as well as Black and minority-group activists, argued that the law would encourage armed vigilantes and that its impact would be disproportionately felt in minority-group communities.

Because we plan to move to Arkansas in the near future I'm interested in your comments. The way I look at it, if someone attacks us in our own home we should be able to defend ourselves regardless of the race, ethnicity, or sex or color of the intruders.

Please don't tell grandpa to run out the back door when someone breaks down the front door and comes in the house with an ax, gun, knife, chainsaw, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 10:23 AM

50,303 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I'm reading that Gov. Hutchinson signed the controversial stand-your-ground self-defense legislation into law Wednesday.

The bill removes a provision of Arkansas' self-defense laws that requires a person to attempt a retreat if he can do so with "complete safety" before using deadly force in self-defense.
But opponents of the bill, including gun-control groups as well as Black and minority-group activists, argued that the law would encourage armed vigilantes and that its impact would be disproportionately felt in minority-group communities.

Because we plan to move to Arkansas in the near future I'm interested in your comments. The way I look at it, if someone attacks us in our own home we should be able to defend ourselves regardless of the race, ethnicity, or sex or color of the intruders.

Please don't tell grandpa to run out the back door when someone breaks down the front door and comes in the house with an ax, gun, knife, chainsaw, you name it.
Are they claiming those groups are the ones committing more crime?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

Sounds to me like the liberal/left side is stereotyping blacks and other ethnic minorities as criminals. That's a big no-no now days. It's racism. Of course, the wording here tells me that they consider an "armed vigilante" to be anyone at all who uses a weapon anywhere at all instead of running away. Like, in their own bedroom or living room. And that's just NOT what a vigilante is. In fact, there's a whole set of laws that deal with "VIGILANTES" who attack people with weapons, and put themselves in the position of being offensive against OTHER people.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:20 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
Under California self-defense laws, you have the right to “stand your ground” and protect yourself without retreating under certain circumstances. There is no state law statute that authorizes this right that there is no duty to retreat. Instead, case law and jury instructions recognize the right of a person to use force in self-defense without first trying to escape or run away (stand your ground), even if outside the home.

Copy and paste.

Here in California we wrote the book on political correctness and nothing is green enough for our governing elite. Even so, self protection is allowed. I hope Arkansas won't accept the progressive sermon.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
I'm glad to hear it, but if I feel my life is threatened, I'll do what I have to do to protect myself first and worry about the law later.

Not sure why minorities and black would be disproportionately affected but that wouldn't change anything for me.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:40 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm glad to hear it, but if I feel my life is threatened, I'll do what I have to do to protect myself first and worry about the law later
You got that right.

Very surprised this legislation didn’t already exist down there.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:54 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Sounds to me like the liberal/left side is stereotyping blacks and other ethnic minorities as criminals. That's a big no-no now days. It's racism.
Of course it is. No one is afraid of stand your ground laws, except criminals and their political allies. The Left doesn't have any problem with being racist. They get a pass, of course, as "double standards" are their only standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Very surprised this legislation didn’t already exist down there.
Have to remember, Demoncrats ran the state in the 20th century.
The adults are (mostly) in charge now, and thankfully, we got that straightened out.

We still have a big problem with Leftists in some areas of the state, and I suspect that won't ever go away.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
I am also looking to Arkansas as a possible move for my wife and I. I am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment and we are looking at states that have strong 2A laws.

That said, and not taking the side of the antis, there is a distinction between Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine.

Castle Doctrine implies that your home (and your auto) is your castle and you have a right to defend it against any and all comers.

Stand Your Ground implies that you have no duty to retreat from any confrontation, i.e. an argument in a liquor store, a fight in Walmart, or even being accosted on the street by a homeless person.

This is why the minority groups are contesting the SYG laws. They think, and the MSN agrees with them, that those examples given above and others are by and large instigated by the minority groups (and isn't that racist!!!) and will end up being shot by white people.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 AM

3,271 posts, read 1,750,300 times
We've had this on the books up here in NH for awhile now. No blood in the streets, much to the dismay of the anti's. Doesn't stop them from trying their nonsense though.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I am also looking to Arkansas as a possible move for my wife and I. I am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment and we are looking at states that have strong 2A laws.

That said, and not taking the side of the antis, there is a distinction between Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine.

Castle Doctrine implies that your home (and your auto) is your castle and you have a right to defend it against any and all comers.

Stand Your Ground implies that you have no duty to retreat from any confrontation, i.e. an argument in a liquor store, a fight in Walmart, or even being accosted on the street by a homeless person.
Correct. Believe it or not, we even have Castle Doctrine here in Minnesota, although they do everything they can to avoid tooting that particular horn because it would tarnish the blue reputation of the state. The pols in central Minnesota are currently trying to get Stand Your Ground passed, but I probably have a better chance of quarterbacking the Vikings than that does of gaining favor with the Minnesota DFL ....who pretty much run everything up here.

Arkansas has nothing to worry about. Always in the top 5 in correlation with being 2nd amendment friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: