Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times

Advertisements

I drive the winding staircase every fall from Eastern Oklahoma to Mena. I prefer other parts of the Ozarks personally. When I visited Meana there really isn't much but in the mountains above Mena is quite beautiful. Did you know all that "whitewater properties" with the Clintons was near the Mena area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Mena was where the Southern Air Services (the CIA “covert” freight and passenger airline) trained pilots and smuggled arms to the Contras and dope to the US during the Iran-contra affair. Smuggling is OK if your government does it but illegal if the private sector tries to copy.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I drive the winding staircase every fall from Eastern Oklahoma to Mena. I prefer other parts of the Ozarks personally. When I visited Meana there really isn't much but in the mountains above Mena is quite beautiful. Did you know all that "whitewater properties" with the Clintons was near the Mena area.
Ummm only if there's a second White River and Flippin down near Mena.....

Whitewater controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which there isn't...

Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Ummm only if there's a second White River and Flippin down near Mena.....

Whitewater controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which there isn't...
BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Not trying to call anyone out...just correcting misinformation. I've been guilty of the unintential spreading of hearsay and misinformation before myself.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM

87 posts, read 298,432 times
Although we're always interested in information. As was said originally, I think we're more interested in what's it like today in Mena.
(I mean, if you want to talk crooked property developers, Arizona in the 60's and 70's would make the Clinton's look like amatuers... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebutterfly View Post
Have you visited or lived in Mena Arkansas? What do you like and dislike. When I retire, I may move there.

I have read the history on the net, no need to talk of the past. I'd like to hear what you know in 2008.

What about that new highway? Will to go through Mena? Is it going to follow Rt 71? Are they talking 5 years or more? If I was to buy a house there, I sure wouldn't want to buy right on that highway!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:25 PM

17 posts, read 58,674 times
Right you are. We want to know more about Mena today. Someday, I hope to move to Arkansas, and Mena sounded so nice, peaceful.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,655 times
Quote:
Have you visited or lived in Mena Arkansas? What do you like and dislike. When I retire, I may move there.

I have read the history on the net, no need to talk of the past. I'd like to hear what you know in 2008.

What about that new highway? Will to go through Mena? Is it going to follow Rt 71? Are they talking 5 years or more? If I was to buy a house there, I sure wouldn't want to buy right on that highway!

Whitebutterfly, We have lived in Mena, Ar for the past 8 years , moving from a really small town in southern Polk Co. We really like it here, it's a town with approx. 6,000 population, a really nice hospital facility, good doctors, but most of all, the friendliest people you will ever find.... A great place to live, where the real estate is very reasonable.

We have a low crime rate, a town you can feel really safe in..

The weather here is somewhat milder in the winter than NW Ar...not as much snow and ice.. beautiful scenery in the spring, and fall seasons...just a lot of good reasons for wanting to live here...

Not sure about the Hwy. project you mentioned but I believe it will be several years away....

Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 AM

17 posts, read 58,674 times
Thank you for that. Hospitals are important to us, as my husband is a diabetic. We, we are still interested in moving there, although I'm still at least two years away from making a change, unless the company I work for suddenly has a layoff, then everything changes.

We are coming there for a visit in early March. Best we can do with our current schedule. Hope the weather holds, as we will drive, my husband hates to fly.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM

87 posts, read 298,432 times
Quote:
.... We are coming there for a visit in early March. Best we can do with our current schedule. Hope the weather holds, as we will drive, my husband hates to fly.
Butterfly, We just returned from a visit to Mena in September. We looked at a lot of property and although we didn't conclude a purchase, we are still seriously considering one in particular. We enjoyed our stay, even the remnants of hurricane Ike that brought in lots of rain for a day. Although we were disappointed that the Gospel Singer Competition and part of the Mountain Fest had to be canceled, being desert dwellers we enjoyed the rain immensely.
I can agree with your husband about flying, but unfortunately I'm not big on driving 1300 miles (or 2600 two ways) either, so transportation is always a problem for us. We can take the train to Texarkana, but getting to the train from where we now live is a problem. We ended up taking the plane this time, but our next trip may well be by bus. Although you can take the bus all the way to Mena, there is no rental car or taxi there, so we would probably get off at Ft. Smith, rent a car and drive down. That's what we did when we flew this time. By the way, we had to fly over to Memphis, and then back again to Ft. Smith. Your choices seem to be Memphis, Atlanta, or Dallas. I'm sure you'll enjoy your March trip.
Slim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas