Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 09:46 AM

24 posts, read 25,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Hilly, I would say.

https://www.nps.gov/hosp/learn/natur...ecosystems.htm

One of the niftier towns in Arkansas is Eureka Springs, population just over 2000. Did you by chance go through it? It's supposed to be one of the most affordable towns, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqN2wPA6ew

https://www.eurekasprings.org/things-to-do/
No, we didn't go through it. Maybe next time . I've heard it's artsy which appeals to my wife .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 5,065 times
Default Point us in the right direction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin fool View Post
“ The first day of our trip consisted of driving from Crossville Tennessee to Batesville Arkansas.
On day 2, we went from Batesville to Mountain View to Horseshoe Bend over to Mountain Home through Flippin and Yellville ending up in Harrison.
On day 3, we went from Harrison to Lead Hill on up through Branson and Springfield towards Osceola over to Camdenton on down to West Plaines.
On day 4 we went from West Plaines over to Doniphan up to Poplar Bluff and then headed east back to Tennessee.
The goal of the trip was to see as many different areas that interested us as possible.
Arkansas highlights- Mountain View ( my wife loved it as she is artsy), Harmon, Bergman and the Lead Hill area.
All of the larger towns seem to have enough possibilities for work. Overall, I would say that we were a little disappointed. The next trip will bring us …Hot Springs and then west.
- Branson was pretty, Osceola area was gorgeous!, Macks Creek was beautiful, Manes as well, Brandsville and Thayer also very pretty.
Overall, we really liked alot of what we saw in Missouri. That landscape of rolling hills with hardwood trees feels like home.
I would like to explore the area around the Mark Twain forest on our next trip.
My questions about Arkansas would be:
Hot Springs and West over towards Mena?
Are there any other areas that we should check out?
I have lived around these areas.. and can give you pretty accurate information you are wanting.
First of all, what kind living are you used to? Income, way of life you are used to, are you lower, middle or upper income ? These things are critical to know because it varies quite a bit in those areas as to how you can deal with the population.
I lived in the lead hill Arkansas area. I would not recommend that area to anyone. Period. They have a lot of meth problems there and it goes up. Thankfully I was able to leave there. The people there are local, and others are from the Chicago area. I would advise watching the series called Ozarks…

Old 02-01-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
No, we didn't go through it. Maybe next time . I've heard it's artsy which appeals to my wife .
Eureka Springs has gone pretty much downhill.
A lot of bikers ( not the good ones ) , Mexican , and local mentality there also.
The drs. are not good either. Hospital is not decent at all. You basically need to go to Fayetteville.

It’s okay to visit, but not live.
If you are a artist and would like to sell art, your best shot is Branson or Springfield Missouri.
Most of the artists seem to like “ corn on the cob tourism.”
Being an artist myself, I find that pretty sad…

Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
In a couple of weeks, my wife and I are going to start taking some scouting trips to Arkansas and Missouri. We will be looking for a place to settle down.
We are both in our early 50's, so we will have to get jobs. My wife has banking and call center experience. I have hvac and manufacturing experience.
The goal is to find a place that is deemed "too far out of town " by the suburbanites from other states. We want a quiet, simple life in the country. Small house with a few acres, places to fish and an area that isn't growing by leaps and bounds.
My research leads me to the Yellville, Kingston area. What other areas do you suggest? Further South around DeGray lake?
Any Missouri suggestions?
Neither of us have been to Arkansas and have only been to NE Missouri.
We are Conservative, blue collar and not afraid of weather or rednecks .
See my other post..
Also I guess Flippen or Yellville seems doable if you are set in the area.
I am pretty much looking for what y’all are too. I just haven’t found it yet.
It’s getting harder to find now..

Old 02-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Default They cut out half of what I said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLost22 View Post
I have lived around these areas.. and can give you pretty accurate information you are wanting.
First of all, what kind living are you used to? Income, way of life you are used to, are you lower, middle or upper income ? These things are critical to know because it varies quite a bit in those areas as to how you can deal with the population.
I lived in the lead hill Arkansas area. I would not recommend that area to anyone. Period. They have a lot of meth problems there and it goes up. Thankfully I was able to leave there. The people there are local, and others are from the Chicago area. I would advise watching the series called Ozarks…
Ok they cut out a LOT of what I posted… wth???

Old 02-01-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
“ The first day of our trip consisted of driving from Crossville Tennessee to Batesville Arkansas.
On day 2, we went from Batesville to Mountain View to Horseshoe Bend over to Mountain Home through Flippin and Yellville ending up in Harrison.
On day 3, we went from Harrison to Lead Hill on up through Branson and Springfield towards Osceola over to Camdenton on down to West Plaines.
On day 4 we went from West Plaines over to Doniphan up to Poplar Bluff and then headed east back to Tennessee.
The goal of the trip was to see as many different areas that interested us as possible.
Arkansas highlights- Mountain View ( my wife loved it as she is artsy), Harmon, Bergman and the Lead Hill area.
All of the larger towns seem to have enough possibilities for work. Overall, I would say that we were a little disappointed. The next trip will bring us …Hot Springs and then west.
- Branson was pretty, Osceola area was gorgeous!, Macks Creek was beautiful, Manes as well, Brandsville and Thayer also very pretty.
Overall, we really liked alot of what we saw in Missouri. That landscape of rolling hills with hardwood trees feels like home.
I would like to explore the area around the Mark Twain forest on our next trip.
My questions about Arkansas would be:
Hot Springs and West over towards Mena?
Are there any other areas that we should check out?

Old 02-01-2023, 01:18 PM

Sorry I will have to repost later.
The internet seems to be messed up here for now. May be this ice storm..

Last edited by StillLost22; 02-01-2023 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Wasn’t posting correctly

Old 02-01-2023, 02:14 PM

24 posts, read 25,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLost22 View Post
We live a simple quiet life. We get along best with locals of modest means ,but generally keep to ourselves. I want nothing to do with Chicago transplants.
A quiet place in the country to come home to with places to fish nearby is all I need. I plan on commuting 10 to 50 miles each way for work.
My wife teaches art classes to retired folks here in Tennessee and would like to continue doing that.
We are blue collar county people.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 PM

204 posts, read 134,804 times
Quote:
My research leads me to the Yellville, Kingston area. What other areas do you suggest? Further South around DeGray lake?
Any Missouri suggestions?
Neither of us have been to Arkansas and have only been to NE Missouri.
We are Conservative, blue collar and not afraid of weather or rednecks .
Is Yellville in Yell County? (Home of Mattie Ross of True Grit.)

Old 02-01-2023, 10:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,747 times
The areas around Mena and Waldron are heavily National Forest lands, and the mountains are different than the Ozarks. The Ozarks are eroded plateau, and the Ouachitas are folded mountains. You'll find bigger actually valleys in the Ouachitas, not many people, and the economies are probably similar (ranching, poultry farming, logging).

I think Eureka Springs is nice. I like Carroll County in general. Berryville seems like a decent town, and the mountains around there are gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas