Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 25,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Well that was kinda my point in that I actually interviewed in Little Rock and NWA, which are the 2 main regions people flock to for jobs in AR......and the offers I got were laughable compared to what I was making in TX (and now up here in MN), so we just weren't willing to take such a drastic cut as much as we really wanted to make it work. Now keep in mind this was all pre Covid and that wages will come up as regions grow quickly, plus I've heard that the wages are fairly low in TN as well, so it may not be as glaring a difference in that regard. Just don't let people tell you the COL makes up for it, because AR has some legit taxes and housing has gone up so much that it's nearly on par with what I've seen in TX and MN. The real estate crunch has been more of a national thing than a state issue of course. You won't find super cheap housing anywhere now like you could have even 5 to 10 years ago.
I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. I get your point and appreciate your insight! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will do whatever it takes (legally) in order to live the lifestyle that I crave. Even if that means living in an 800 sq ft. house and working 2 jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 12:45 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin fool View Post
I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. I get your point and appreciate your insight! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will do whatever it takes (legally) in order to live the lifestyle that I crave. Even if that means living in an 800 sq ft. house and working 2 jobs.
No, you didn't come off that way. Just wanted to clarify. No worries.

I admire your outlook. We only live once and life is for living.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:18 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Arkansas is still a very affordable state for what you're looking for.
Basically, stay far away from that NWA corridor which is Bella Vista down to Fayettville. Anything within 40-50 miles or so of that should be avoided.
Also should avoid getting too close to Little Rock.
There are a lot of options for older housing, smaller housing, and various sizes of manufactured housing near sizable enough towns to fit your needs.
While all those aren't as dirt cheap as they used to be, they're still going to look like a bargain compared to similar stuff nationwide.

Old 02-06-2023, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Arkansas is still a very affordable state for what you're looking for.
Basically, stay far away from that NWA corridor which is Bella Vista down to Fayettville. Anything within 40-50 miles or so of that should be avoided.
Also should avoid getting too close to Little Rock.
There are a lot of options for older housing, smaller housing, and various sizes of manufactured housing near sizable enough towns to fit your needs.
While all those aren't as dirt cheap as they used to be, they're still going to look like a bargain compared to similar stuff nationwide.
Thanks for your insight. We will make a few more trips to see a few more areas in Missouri as well as Arkansas. Then we will
start to narrow things down.
We went to the places that you recommend in Missouri and really liked them! We will definitely be going back to see what they are like in the summer. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2023, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 5,065 times
Quote:
We live a simple quiet life. We get along best with locals of modest means ,but generally keep to ourselves. I want nothing to do with Chicago transplants.
A quiet place in the country to come home to with places to fish nearby is all I need. I plan on commuting 10 to 50 miles each way for work.
My wife teaches art classes to retired folks here in Tennessee and would like to continue doing that.
We are blue collar county people.

There are a lot of transplants now since the housing market went crazy.
I myself was looking for a house. I got this house and wished I hadn’t. I’ll be looking to sell soon after winter. Hopefully before May if all goes well.
But I’m in SE Missouri. Small town east of Popular Bluff.
I just can’t do towns anymore. I wanted to buy in the country but there were none that fit what I was needing, so I settled on this.
I have been looking for a home out in the country that will also go VA.
Those are very hard to find because many homes do not meet those standards.
My advice would be to rent first probably. And see if that area would work for you. I wish I had.
I am still looking.
The Mountain Home area in Marion county ( Arkansas ) is what I would call doable. It has Florida people moving in but at least they are “ civilized “. More than others.
It is close to Bull Shoals lake, Norfolk lake, the gorgeous White River and the beautiful Buffalo River.. It’s a nice area. There is a lot to do there. A fisherman’s paradise without most of the drama. I too love to fish plus lake life.
Plus the art market is much better in that area. Next place for art would be Branson Missouri or Springfield.
All are within driving distance.
Hollister Missouri is ok too. If you want to go that far in.. but being close enough to a doctor is good. That’s my main thing I look for. The drs. Are very good in that area. Much better that the east side of Missouri!
Knowing what I know, I would say look at the areas west and east of 65, away some from Springfield.
Joplin is too far west. Poplar Bluff is too far east.
Personally if I did it all over again, stay in the middle of the state.
Most of the problems are locals who live on FB.. they use that, and not for good.
Land is getting more expensive now ( I am shocked to see all the crazy through the roof prices ) and I don’t know what is going to happen to the market. Probably not good.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLost22 View Post
There are a lot of transplants now since the housing market went crazy.
I myself was looking for a house. I got this house and wished I hadn’t. I’ll be looking to sell soon after winter. Hopefully before May if all goes well.
But I’m in SE Missouri. Small town east of Popular Bluff.
I just can’t do towns anymore. I wanted to buy in the country but there were none that fit what I was needing, so I settled on this.
I have been looking for a home out in the country that will also go VA.
Those are very hard to find because many homes do not meet those standards.
My advice would be to rent first probably. And see if that area would work for you. I wish I had.
I am still looking.
The Mountain Home area in Marion county ( Arkansas ) is what I would call doable. It has Florida people moving in but at least they are “ civilized “. More than others.
It is close to Bull Shoals lake, Norfolk lake, the gorgeous White River and the beautiful Buffalo River.. It’s a nice area. There is a lot to do there. A fisherman’s paradise without most of the drama. I too love to fish plus lake life.
Plus the art market is much better in that area. Next place for art would be Branson Missouri or Springfield.
All are within driving distance.
Hollister Missouri is ok too. If you want to go that far in.. but being close enough to a doctor is good. That’s my main thing I look for. The drs. Are very good in that area. Much better that the east side of Missouri!
Knowing what I know, I would say look at the areas west and east of 65, away some from Springfield.
Joplin is too far west. Poplar Bluff is too far east.
Personally if I did it all over again, stay in the middle of the state.
Most of the problems are locals who live on FB.. they use that, and not for good.
Land is getting more expensive now ( I am shocked to see all the crazy through the roof prices ) and I don’t know what is going to happen to the market. Probably not good.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge with me. I have some more exploring ahead of me.
I hope you find your perfect place as well.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:47 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Something else to consider is that once you get into your 50/60’s, it is important to be near a reasonable drive to key medical centers, even if you are super healthy right now. I had a family member retire there and hospitals were subpar when treating seniors in his town. If it was something they couldn’t handle they transported him to Little Rock which was also subpar when it come to something a bit complex. So where you look, also consider medical care as well even if you don’t need it right now.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:16 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Something else to consider is that once you get into your 50/60’s, it is important to be near a reasonable drive to key medical centers, even if you are super healthy right now. I had a family member retire there and hospitals were subpar when treating seniors in his town. If it was something they couldn’t handle they transported him to Little Rock which was also subpar when it come to something a bit complex. So where you look, also consider medical care as well even if you don’t need it right now.

Well, while i agree that medical care is an important consideration in location decisions, i will have to take exception with your anecdotal example to disparage the health care of an entire state or city. i have a negative anecdotal story about one of the greatest cancer centers in the nation and located in your city of houston. but, i am not going to tell someone that it is the reason not to move to houston. as matter of fact, i am a monthly donor to md anderson and they along with uams in little rock arkansas, are excellent medical facilities and treat people from all over the nation and world. i personally know a lot of people (and i am one) that were treated at md anderson or uams and are alive and well today, because of the excellent care they received from these institutions. (and i am thankful for both)

little rock and north west arkansas have some excellent health care. (not as familiar with northeast or southwest arkansas) i will admit that rural arkansas, as any rural area in probably any state in the union, is not going to have excellent medical care, but there are air evacs that transport people every day from these rural areas to a facility that can handle the issue and we have critical care facilities and regional health care facilites spread out all over the rural areas of arkansas.

i would not live in a town without a hospital, but that is just a personal decision i made many years ago, working as a first responder.

uams, carti, arkansas childrens hospital, baptist hospital, st vincents, and numerous other health care operations in little rock and spread through the state are excellent health care providers. in my opinion, it would be a reason to live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas