Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 10:05 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times

Advertisements

Looking at retiring in Arkansas, never been there....Been to TN, MO and Texas. I remember TN being very muggy, TX and MO were both hot mid summer. Just wondering if the higher elevation in AR are less muggy? Hunting and fishing good there? Are there plenty of areas to ride 4 wheelers or Argos? Any areas with pine trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 04:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Pine trees are in the south, hardwoods in the north. Humidity is oppressive in the south, not so much in the north (higher elevation), but it's there. City-Data has all the weather data you are looking for...for instance Lake Village.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:16 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
The Ozarks might be slightly less muggy, but it’s still all hot and muggy.
It is similar to comparable places in terms of elevation to those in Tennessee and Missouri.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:41 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Arkansas is muggy even at night. If Houston is your point of comparison, it is less muggy. You acclimate to wherever you live so you will start feeling it again in a few years.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:03 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
We tried Arkansas. Lasted two months. June and July. Went straight back to Alaska. Too hot and humid in Arkansas.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:01 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Elevation makes all the difference. I'm from south Louisiana so I know what real muggy weather feels like. Now I'm in north AR but at a higher elevation and it doesn't get muggy here but if I go down into town which is much lower, it does feel muggy (still not on a south LA level).

Old 02-17-2023, 02:54 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Elevation makes all the difference. I'm from south Louisiana so I know what real muggy weather feels like. Now I'm in north AR but at a higher elevation and it doesn't get muggy here but if I go down into town which is much lower, it does feel muggy (still not on a south LA level).
Agreed. Lived in Memphis at 337' and now in the opposite corner of TN at 1676' and the difference in humidity and summer comfort levels is night and day. It's inaccurate to compare entire states when various areas of the same state can have pretty sizable differences in elevation.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:27 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Arkansas is muggy even at night. If Houston is your point of comparison, it is less muggy. You acclimate to wherever you live so you will start feeling it again in a few years.
True for Houston Texas, but the OP lists "Houston, Alaska" (a suburb of Anchorage) for location. (You probably read that as Houston and Alaska.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
If I Recall Correctly, you are about 1600 feet above the town, and you once said that there was typically 6 degrees difference between your home and town. Difference in humidity should be even greater.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:42 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If I Recall Correctly, you are about 1600 feet above the town, and you once said that there was typically 6 degrees difference between your home and town. Difference in humidity should be even greater.
6 degree difference on average but sometimes less and sometimes up to 10 degrees difference. Someone once told me you need to get above 1200' for less humidity. I'm not sure if that's accurate but I've already remembered it. There is a spot in Jasper, when you are driving on Hwy 7 south of the town as the elevation rises fairly quickly, that spot if referred to as the "magic line". (at the fairgrounds). Above that line, is much more ice, snow, and fog. You can see it as you're driving on the hwy, it's a fairly distinct line and it's white above it often in the winter. My ears tend to pop there also. I don't know the elevation of that exact area but there has to be something to it.

I came from below sea level to 2200' and I can assure anyone there is a HUGE difference in the feel of the air.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:46 AM

17,774 posts, read 13,665,953 times
One other thing to consider is that pine country may be as much or more muggy...but it is less buggy than hardwood country.

Ticks, fleas, chiggers in the high grass of hardwood country are truly awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas