Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,046 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of relocating to Harrison,Arkansas there are three scenarios to consider economically: A) professional...doctor or other..maybe a living to be made, but there is a plethora of such working here already, but certain non-outsourced professionals always have a chance, so.... look around and good luck B) FEDEX: yup. I actually must REALLY live here, (building my own house in Boone county), as I know where EVERYBODY with half a brain cell will attempt to work, due to bennies and a WITHIN REASONABLE wagescale; good choice , but good-ol-boyism really determines who works there regardless of what they may say, and you may wait for a few decades to get a shot at employment (and cronyism is HUGE here) 3) finally..average people and retirees. Average workers: FORGET IT!! The general state of Arkansas is DEPRESSED. Sorry. it is true. There is a real sickness here, and possibly in other areas of the state. The people WANT to be modern, maybe even a bit upscale..sadly, the leaders all the way from the city council to governor are way to backwards to actually accomplish this feat. Proof? Look in Missourri, even Branson, an entertainment/tourism mecca. It within 35 miles from Harrison, yet many Harrsion residents are compelled to seek work there. Could a similar working situation be accomplished here in Harrison? Maybe..with foresight and real BRAINPOWER, with a lack of CRONYISM..caring for the people and realizing the shifting demographics (crucial)..which means that this area is no longer almost purely an agrarian/ranching econonic system, and the powers that be must look to the future..not just the few local-yocals, because that is not the way it is anymore. Which brings me to retirees: yeah, you got money..probably from California..no?? Forgive me: you really suck the worst of all. You have money to burn, don't have to work, so you are in denial of what a suckass place this can be economically (even for a local!) and therefore are loved by all because you have no stake in anything, i.e. spend money like it is going out-of-style, which helps he economy, especially going into a recession, as we probably are. THESE are your changing demographics, as well as other transplantees, and Latinos, etc. My recommendation: to Hell with Arkansas: move to somewhere in Mexico, like the Yucatan or somewhere bitchin' in the Carribean. With the NAFTA superhighway coming to a town near you, why not live where you can be as poor as Arkansas, but at least have the azure blue Carribean to swim in, and badass tortillas to go with your poverty!! I am telling you, do not be lured by the physical beauty of this place..it is hollow and holds virtually NO PROMISE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 07:46 PM

44 posts, read 209,492 times
Default Harrison: WHY Not?

Well, I'm really sorry to hear that you hate Harrison so much. It makes me wonder WHY you're building a home here.

Point by point...

A. Yes, a doctor can make a good living here, but then a doctor can make a living anywhere there are people who may become sick.

B. FED-EX IS a great place to work, but then again, FED-EX doesn't HAVE to hire every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes along because they can afford to hire quality people. The cream always comes to the top and is hired immediately.

3. (where did that come from...oh yeah, A, B, then 3) "Average people and retirees". Average workers may find employment at Wabash Wood Products, Entergy, Alltel, Flexsteel, Claridge Products, the Fire Department, Asplundh (sp?), Johnson Manufacturing, UPS, or any one of hundreds of other businesses in town that pay wages that thousands of other people live comforatbly upon. These people have nice homes, cars, boats, ATV's, etc. Why can't you do the same?

You claim there's a "real sickness" here. Could it be that people here, as everywhere else, are tired of complainers looking for high paying jobs and great benefits for little or no work? Or even better, just a hand out for no work at all? There are no free rides here, or anywhere else that I know of.

Personally, I like the fact that we don't have to live in Branson traffic, yet it's close enough to enjoy when I want to. Perhaps you should be building your home in Southwest Missouri. Since everyone from the City Council to the Governor are all so backwards, how did such a sophisticate as yourself come to live here?

You obviously despise/resent retirees, especially from California, who have worked all their lives, paid their dues, raised their families and are now living their retirement the way they've chosen. True, they no longer have to work. That's because they've already done that for the past forty years. Do they spend their money like it's going out of style? If they do, it's because they've earned it and they can. You could learn some lessons from those people.

And what's with a "recession"? Northwest Arkansas is not in any kind of recession, it's one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. The Dow is setting new records every day. The Fed has incresed interest rates 18 times in the last two years to TRY to cool a smoking national economy. When have things ever been any better?

And, since you apparently don't like Latino's either, how much do you think you're really going to like Mexico, I hear it's full of them. Maybe that's why all the Mexicans keep trying to come here...to get away from all the Latinos.

Your post isn't really about Arkansas, it's about America. You don't like having to work, you want your money for free, and you resent those who have worked, and paid their dues before you.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Marka; 01-14-2007 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM

58 posts, read 282,801 times
Default Well Stated

SBERNARD.........................you took a bite out him. I'll throw you a bone or two for that one. I am one of those from California, not in Harrison, but Mountain Home. Think he's a little jealous ???

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM

297 posts, read 1,300,428 times
Default Recession?

You must be talking about South Arkansas, not North Arkansas! We're drying up here down in Camden. It's enough to suck the life out of an individual. My spouse has one of the only secure jobs around Camden and it's in the Defense Industry. My spouse has been working here for so many years now that we can't go "anywhere" in the country and find a better paying job so we are stuck here till retirement. I just feel sorry for what I see happening to my home town and the people that are struggling here to live. Camden is becoming the " The Town Where Crack is Made " and break-ins are common place now, even in the decent neighboorhoods. We've had to pad lock our gates and lock our cars at night because there is poor/doped up trash that romes our neighboorhoods at night that would rather steal than to give any thing back to the community that they live in. The schools are getting worse in Ouachita County. Thank God for private schools! That's my beef and I didn't even have to use 4-letter words to express myself! Shame, shame.....

Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM

297 posts, read 1,300,428 times
Default Welcome All.....

May I also say, welcome to anyone from anywhere in the country that has moved to Arkansas and that has added something positive to the community that they have chosen to live in. Arkansas has many beautiful, natural places to explore. Just say a prayer for South Arkansas. I leave my soap box now. Thank you!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 54,591 times
My recommendation: to Hell with Arkansas: move to somewhere in Mexico, like the Yucatan or somewhere bitchin' in the Carribean. With the NAFTA superhighway coming to a town near you, why not live where you can be as poor as Arkansas, but at least have the azure blue Carribean to swim in, and badass tortillas to go with your poverty!! I am telling you, do not be lured by the physical beauty of this place..it is hollow and holds virtually NO PROMISE.[/quote]

Oh, that is just not nice.

YOU obviously do not spend too much time in the carribean. At least not enough time to experience the crime, poverty and governmental shortcomings that exist in those places also.
I have, I do, on a regular basis. It is beautiful there, no doubt, but has it's own problems just as the US does. Also, did you notice on your limited visit to the Yucatan, um... how "poor" the country is? I hope I haven't ruined the image for any further visits by you.
I have spent most of my life in locations all over the world. I find the same thing everywhere. Things I like, things I don't. The key is acceptance. Life anywhere is what we make it. How we are treated is the result of how we treat others. (With the acception of Iowa, whose children made fun of me because of my accent. Fortunately, that was a short stay!)
There are some wonderful people all over this world, this state, (which I happen to call home).

I do not mean to berate. I just wish you would take the time to get to know a few more people before you pass judgement on Harrison/Boone County and Arkansas.
I came here as a single mom for the sole purpose of raising my two small children in a safe area. Was it easy? Nope. I took a 50% cut in annual pay. Worth the sacrifice? Yes, definately. Eventually, I got the job that put me back into to the pay scale I was accustomed to. And no, it wasn't at Fed Ex, formerly American Freightways.
Yes, this is a pretty tight-knit community. Not as bad as 16 years ago when I arrived, especially being a young 'single' mom. Luckily, my concern was for my kids. Time took care of the friends.
Now? If I needed something, I would not be able to count the number of folks from this "hollow" place that would be at my side to help. It just doesn't happen overnight.

There are some pretty outstanding people from this area. Not just Boone County, but statewide. Give them a chance.
Heck, sign up for one of my scuba classes and I'll broaden your travel to some really exotic places, 'outside' the Yucatan. Thats Mickey Mouse stuff anyway.

I have to ask, where are you from? Not Iowa, right?

Something brought you here. Be patient, it will become your home if you let it. Best of luck.

Last edited by Daedalus1; 01-08-2007 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 AM

10 posts, read 68,333 times
I am originally from Harrison. No, there arent a lot of jobs in Harrison but there are in the surrounding areas.

If you hate it so much, dont move there.

And FYI-people at FedX make GOOD money.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,045 times
The whole of Northern Arkansas is a bit depressed.....but who was it said "the times they are a changin'"! If you arrive here from a large city you just can't expect to find the amount of job opportunities that you had in that big city. Big cities are few and far between in Arkansas. However, thats one of the beauties for us who enjoy this state. If you come, understand.....its not like where you came from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas