Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times

Advertisements

I just found out about these mini breeds of cattle, the most popular of which is the Dexter. Is anyone in Arkansas raising these on their mini farms? - Bull

Couple of mini links:

Just right for the garden: a mini-cow

Miniature cattle farming is catching on with families trying to stay ahead of rising food prices

Chris Gourlay

It's the little cow with a big future. Rising supermarket prices are persuading hundreds of families to turn their back gardens into mini-ranches stocked with miniature cattle.

Just right for the garden: a mini-cow - Times Online

Measure Twice, Cut Once

Musings from a Christian, homesteading, handy-man, homeschooling father.

Measure Twice, Cut Once » Blog Archive » Dexter Cattle the Mini Cow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
I just found out about these mini breeds of cattle, the most popular of which is the Dexter. Is anyone in Arkansas raising these on their mini farms? - Bull

Couple of mini links:

Just right for the garden: a mini-cow

Miniature cattle farming is catching on with families trying to stay ahead of rising food prices

Chris Gourlay

It's the little cow with a big future. Rising supermarket prices are persuading hundreds of families to turn their back gardens into mini-ranches stocked with miniature cattle.

Just right for the garden: a mini-cow - Times Online

Measure Twice, Cut Once

Musings from a Christian, homesteading, handy-man, homeschooling father.

Measure Twice, Cut Once » Blog Archive » Dexter Cattle the Mini Cow

Mini-me cattle.

How cool is that?

We could take 'em to the auction barn in the SUV instead of having to hitch the traler to the truck!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,046 times
I've heard of these....I read Mother Earth News a lot, and they are always having articles about such as this. That's my dream....a little homestead with just a few animals for milk and meat, garden, chickens, etc., no neighbors that I can see. I may be getting too old for it now, though. *sigh* There was an article in Mother this month about midget white turkeys, too...they're a heritage breed and are supposed to taste better, too, besides being smaller and easier to keep and feed.

I was looking at your picture album. Made me long for the hills. Picture #6, the one taken from the Cliff House - the rocky point shown is called Red Rock Point. Didn't know if you knew that. I've always wanted to go up there, but we never have. Our map shows a road going right up to it. That valley is where Mt. Judea, which I talked about in the thread on the most beautiful towns in Arkansas, is located. That whole valley is crisscrossed with so many roads you could spend days just wandering around, finding beautiful scenery everywhere you turn.

Picture #1, from Round Top Mountain, shows the little highway, #327, that I was also telling about in the thread on the most beautiful towns in Arkansas. Makes me long for Arkansas so much I can hardly stand it.

My plain old Honda Civic gets great mileage, too (in reference to picture #14)....it will get 42-45 mpg on straight highway driving, and somewhere between 33 and 35 on mixed driving. We've had it 6 years and never had to have anything fixed on it. It has 101,000 miles now....about half of it probably Arkansas miles! When it's washed, which is not often, , it looks new.

Well, I'm off to explore your links!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,194 times
That sounds like great fun. I wonder could they be classified as pets? Our area's rules say no farm animals...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Rog, they still tip about 600 lbs on the scale when full grown. You might ride 'em around in the SUV when they're new though!

Luv, thanks for the info on Red Rock Point. I did not know that. I just updated the original image title so I wont forget. There may be a road going right up to it. I went as far as I could go without trespassing, but someone must own the point. The last part was blocked by fence. You're absolutely right about that being Hwy 327. I just rebuilt the view in Google Earth to be sure. Great milage is a great thing to have in a car! It's nice to be less concerned about the pocketbook when you travel. It makes the ride more enjoyable.

Penguin, good luck with that! Try this. When the cow gets a little over a year old, get it registered as a German Mastiff. They might say he's ugly, but it also might just work.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
There may be a road going right up to it. I went as far as I could go without trespassing, but someone must own the point. The last part was blocked by fence.
Do you have one of those Arkansas Atlas and Gazetteers? That's the map I was using. But I bet you have better information anyway, using Google Earth. Need to ask a local, I guess.

Here is some info I found on Google:

Climbing Red Rock Point Arkansas - Climbingsource.com

We were thinking we would go up from 74, but it appears that there is also a road up to it just west of Vendor on 374. Well, that's an adventure for another day!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM

Oh well....according to this information, it looks like a lot of trouble to get to. It's fun looking at it from down below, anyway! This is from Arkansas.com:

Red Rock Point

Wouldn't you know it -- the single best chunk of sandstone in Arkansas, and one of the standouts in the entire southeast -- is smack dab on private property. Wouldn't you not know that, for once, climbing/landowner relationships have been positive for several decades. About all that's been asked of climbers is that they not burn the place down, don't pester the cattle and keep the gate closed.
Nonetheless, access to the Point's 80 or so routes, which vary from merely stunning to superb, from three-pitch waverley cracks to half-rope jug hauls on what appear to be rock brains, is always in the balance. A sudden onslaught of climbers would almost certainly tip the scales the wrong way. Which is precisely why this crag remains off the map. Visiting climbers who can't resist the yellow, red and blue-streaked bulwark are strongly advised to hook up with a local who has permission and is savvy to the current scene. Eric Forney, a long-distance local who regularly makes the five-hour pilgrimage from his home in Stillwater, Oklahoma, suggests that for a successful tour you bring your best Southern manners and "a smoked ham" as tribute for the landowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: