Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,529 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are searching for a great retirement location and the Paris area looks extremly interesting. We will want to work part time at something, I am a tool maker, cnc cad cam and have also taught machine shop. My wife is multi-talented, she has specilized in home makeover/interior decorating.
How is the weather around there? Are the mosquitos really as big as chickens
and do they carry small dogs away?
Would love to here from someone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 AM

113 posts, read 570,774 times
You shouldn't have too many mosquitos in Paris. There may be some, but not like in Eastern Arkansas where there are rice fields for as far as you can see. When I moved from E. Arkansas to Russellville (same geography as Paris) I never noticed any mosquitos!

paris is a nice little town from what I've seen. Not much to do, not much in the way of diverse eating or shopping, but Fort Smith is only a half hour or so away and would offer the amenities that Paris did not.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Thank you so much for the info and the mosquito report We are planning a trip to the Paris area soon and really look forward to traveling through the area and what we have heard to be beautiful mountains. I have heard that you are having much colder weather there than usual; hope it doesn't last too long.

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 AM

113 posts, read 570,774 times
We've had a late winter, but it did come in in full force a few weeks ago!
I wouldn't say it's any colder than normal, but it is rather chilly.

I hope you enjoy your visit! If I remember right, Paris has a neat downtown square centered around the courthouse. Also, you must check out Mt. Magazine while you are in the area. It's only a few minutes drive from Paris, and is the highest elevation in the State of Arkansas. The relief is not quite as impressive as Mt. Nebo in Russellville, but the view is still beautiful. Where are you coming from? If you end up near highway 7 or highway 23 (pigtrail) I would suggest a drive on either. Both are desginated scenic highways and showcase the beautiful mountains of Arkansas.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Woopig

Good to hear from you again. You would not believe the Terrible Winter Storm we are having. Things have pretty much closed down for tomorrow, suppose to get a bout 12 inches of snow and winds are at about 25 miles an hour so the drifting is very dangerous. We are living in Southern Michigan, my husband is from here, I was born in Northern Indiana, only a stones throw from where I live now in Michigan; we are border towns. Thanks again for the info; I am so anxious to get down there.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 59,782 times
The highlight of Paris has to be Cowie Winery! Everytime we go home to Charleston, we go there. His port is the best in the world, I swear to it! I don't know much more about Paris than Cowie Winery and there is a Walmart. THere is KFC, too. (Sure, retirees love KFC; right?) Anyway, it is the gateway to Mt. Magazine. And the best place to eat is on the way up to the lodge there. I can't remember the name of it. But, we also go there a lot. You get absolutely huge meal and it is soooooo delicious for about $7.00 plus coffee and desert (as if you could eat it after this meal). Have you heard about the lodge? It was millions of dollars and it is sure gorgeous! There is also an annual butterfly festival there.
I don't know about your talents there. I know there is a machinery place there on the highway. Your wife can probably grow her business by word-of-mouth. However, I think that her talents would be expecially desireable in Ft. Smith, about 30 minutes west with a much larger population.
Anyway, have fun in Arkansas. I wish it were me!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:28 PM

156 posts, read 377,527 times
We just returned home from an Arkansas look-see and spent one night at the Lodge on Mt. Magazine. Pretty impressive views, especially viewed from our room's veranda. The food at the Lodge was pretty darned good - and without a high price attached.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 45,941 times
Default Paris, AR

I was born in Paris and lived in the area until I was 12. Back then it was a wonderful little hometown, but unfortunately over the years has died out and has gotten the reputation of being a druggie town. There is a Cloye's Gear Factory located there, not sure if they have need of the type of work you do. Some friends moved to AR from Calif a couple of years back, he is a tool-and-die maker, found work in the Russellville area and they have a beautiful home on the lake in nearby Dardanelle.....they love it. I suggest you take a drive up Highway 22 from Dardanelle to Fort Smith and check out all the small towns if that's what you seek. Also Greenwood is about 15 minutes south of Fort Smith, a booming small town with lots of ammenities, and Van Buren and Alma are to the north and northeast, also nice towns with lots of potential. I love the entire northwest quarter of Arkansas as it has some of the best scenery. The drive from Fort Smith to Fayetteville through the Boston Mountains is breathtaking, especially in the fall when the leaves turn color. Best of luck to you in your search.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM

Thank you all so much for the kind replies. We made a trip to Paris and to Boonville, the people could not have been kinder and more frendly. We were so impressed with the local and the people that we are looking for property there! We can't wait for the warm weather to arive in Michigan, its cold 45 and wet. The lack of snow and the warmth of the people will make the wait to relocate almost unbearable.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 7,245 times
I hate reading there is a big drug problem in Paris. I am giving serious consideration to buy a home there so my young nephew can attend St. Joseph's in preparation for later attending Subiaco. Please, anyone with more information on this small town or the schools mentioned I would appreciate your sharing it with me. I can find Catholic schools that are of high quality in many other states, however, my brother has a farm in Springdale, so I thought it would ideal moving to Paris, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas