Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyinVAtoCV View Post
The area I'm moving to has almost no one else there. There is one house a few hundred feet down the road and another 2 at the very end of the road. Nothing at all else. So, pretty remote.
I know that area, that's where the State of Arkansas bought that 20 acres going back a ways and plans to put a correctional work release center in there.

That'll bring jobs, and the convicts can keep the area spotless.

Sorry, jus' joshin' ya a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 AM

111 posts, read 503,819 times
RogMar,

That's funny! I was thinking about this whole topic more. Like a lot of stuff discussed on blog sites there is generally more interest in problems than solutions. It would be nice to take a turn on this thread into proposed solutions to the issues that have been brought up. As to the rental vs owner interests, I think that a good place to start is "Occupancy Permits." That is, every time a rental turns over it is inspected and brought up to code. This will not only be a "visual" help and tenant help, but will keep things from getting to the state that they encourage the improper uses that RogMar refers to in his posts.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM

18 posts, read 71,802 times
Regarding CV in certain area's of the good, the bad and ugly. Well if the rental agency's continue to rent to section 8 or to who ever comes thru the doors, and have no regard for who their renting to, it could very well turn into the disgusting trailer park scenerio's you see on episodes of Cops. Certain streets that have a lot of rental's already on them are getting pretty bad. What ever happened to screening applicants and doing credit check's or background checks on applicant's? Makes for a much safer neighborhood because you don't have to wonder what Rock your new neighbor crawled out from under. I know from experience because I'm living on one such street!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni51 View Post
What ever happened to screening applicants and doing credit check's or background checks on applicant's?
The same thing that happen to going to WalMart to shop instead of driving to Jonesboro or Little Rock to get the right "label' on one's clothes.

It's called a recession.

There are a ton of deadbeat renters out there. The government pays, every month, on time.

Lots of people own houses that they never intend to live in. They only intend to rent them, make a little money, get a good tax break, be able towrite off *their* trip to their nice house in the Village under the premise of checking on their rental properties, and maybe eventually sell when (if) the market ver rebounds.

No one is going to agree on how much control should be excersized over the ownership/residency of houses, because there are many who want the controls for their neighbors, but don't want to have to comply themselves.

As I mentioned to Tim earlier, this is not a simple situation.

I own property there, so if there was a good direction to improve values, I'd be in.

After *years* of ownership, I am still frequently mistaken for Diogenes, lantern in hand.

Uh.....no.....that does *not* infer I look like a Greek god.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM

18 posts, read 71,802 times
Yes I know there are a lot of dead beat renters out there but if you don't rent to them, then they can't move in. Easier said than done though. Seem's like the Townhouse Assc. could make it so there is no section 8 allowed. I wonder if you can do that? Doe's anyone know?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni51 View Post
Yes I know there are a lot of dead beat renters out there but if you don't rent to them, then they can't move in. Easier said than done though. Seem's like the Townhouse Assc. could make it so there is no section 8 allowed. I wonder if you can do that? Doe's anyone know?
Sure they can, and sacrifice a much needed cash flow for the owners.

All of a sudden, those $25,000 "Dream Homes" out there drop to $19K.

Now, instead of Monty Meth Head renting one, he can use this months profits to buy one to replace the last one that blew up.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 157,699 times
Its wonderful to have the internet. After reading all these comments, I would not move to Cherokee Village if you paid me. Who wants to live out in the country and have all these wonderful amenities, and then be crippled by rules and regulations. For gods sakes people, if its rules u want, go live in the city, where u can be as regulated as hell. Sounds like a bunch of old stuffy people who have nothing better to do than to spoil life for the rest. The fact that the property prices are so low, tells the true story. People are fed up with the regulations, and the demand has dropped off. Good!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I disagree with you.
Cherokee Village was originally built as a retirement community.

Do you really think they could have attracted retirees with no regulations?( garbage bags all over, cars up on blocks, grass knee high,trailer houses with the " guts" ( insulation) hanging out?

If people think Cherokee Village is bad now despite strict regulations, imagine what it would look like with no regulations.

If one wants to live like a pig, do what you want and buy plenty of land in a rural area.

Don't buy a small lot ( 1/4 acre ) in Cherokee Village and live like a pig cuz you have no pride and no concern for neighbors close by.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelle_sa View Post
Its wonderful to have the internet. After reading all these comments, I would not move to Cherokee Village if you paid me. Who wants to live out in the country and have all these wonderful amenities, and then be crippled by rules and regulations. For gods sakes people, if its rules u want, go live in the city, where u can be as regulated as hell. Sounds like a bunch of old stuffy people who have nothing better to do than to spoil life for the rest. The fact that the property prices are so low, tells the true story. People are fed up with the regulations, and the demand has dropped off. Good!
----"spoil life for the rest of us "--

Your post tells me more about you than it does about CV.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

30 posts, read 166,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelle_sa View Post
Chantelle,

We're just reasonable in our expectations of not wanting to have washing machines and junk all over front yards. CV was never intended to be living out in the country. If you want that, fine, but just not here. If that sounds stuffy, so be it. It's the truth and quite frankly, I am an owner of a few lakefront lots and some homes. One is rented out to long term locals and one is rented out to vacationers when I am not there. I take pride in my homes in the village and consider my long term rental an obligation to keep it as nice as when I first cleaned it up. So far so good. What CV does not need is people who feel like they can move in and leave trash everywhere and ratty old cars sitting on blocks. I will fight that and will not stop. That is not needed or wanted here. RogMar and marmac are correct in their views on the village, yet we like the village for different reasons. What all three of us agree on is country living is country living and CV living is CV living. They both are not wrong, they're just different. There is a reason that an old joke around CV is "This is Cherokee Village, it's not Arkansas." Laugh or not, there's alot of truth to that statement. You seem to want something that CV does not want to offer you. I don't either. If that sounds harsh, well that's life. I do not want you coming to this part of the world thinking you can create an eyesore that we have to look at. I won't stand for it. Neither will many others. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas