Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times

Advertisements

So you are studying to be a doctor to work for free, and are at this point worried about retiring.

Have you considered Del Boca Grande in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchavez2010 View Post
I am studying to be a doctor. Research is what I do.

The main reason I chose to look for a community like CV was so that I could work with seniors (or anyone that needed care), not for money, but pro-bono. I am going into the field of geriatrics and I really thought CV had the perfect balance I was looking for, but I am certain now that I will not be happy in CV and I certainly wouldn't want to expose my kids to a community that would not welcome them.
/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM

30 posts, read 166,838 times
With all due respect, there are plenty of people who vacation in Cherokee Village all the time and year round, depending on what they're here for, just like over in BV and HSV. All 3, HSV, BV, and CV were started as one thing and have evolved into what they are today respectively.

There are many weekend people who have a home here in Cherokee Village and come here every weekend all summer long. I know a few of those personally. We have met plenty of people who have come to Cherokee Village for their vacation. Yes, there are plenty of retired people here, and yes there are plenty of young families also. There are also plenty of vacationers.

If you want to see kids having a great time this summer in Cherokee Village, here's a few pics. Enjoy!

http://twitpic.com/photos/cherokeevillage

Folks, if you want to come visit Cherokee Village for a vacation, you are more than welcome and most folks will be glad you came. Don't let this some of this thread sway you until you try it out.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,065 times
I think the danger is when code enforcement becomes a tool for generating revenue the way Law Enforcement has. Therefore down the slippery slope of being less about common sense...And more stringent laws /regulations....and exorbitant fines.
"Freedom comes with a Bang !!!!......But slips away quietly"

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM

111 posts, read 503,897 times
Freedom slips away in any number of ways. One way is to allow others to drag down your property values or create eyesores and sanitation problems. Code Enforcement protects one's freedom from that.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM

13 posts, read 86,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Freedom slips away in any number of ways. One way is to allow others to drag down your property values or create eyesores and sanitation problems. Code Enforcement protects one's freedom from that.
I agree with your statement for the most part. Being a owner of several lots in Cherokee Village and a Lake Front Property I too believe that codes should be in place to ensure that our property values, eyesores and sanitation issues are addressed. Who wants property boundaries be fenced with chicken wire mess for example or a sheep, pig or goat mini-farms next door?

Having said that there must be a balance and the codes must not be over bearing to the point on it's owners with excess fees in the form of permits.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 PM

111 posts, read 503,897 times
Desertdweller01,

Agreed 100%. It is a balance. Thing was, it had gotten out of balance in CV largely due to the rental interests and a few neglected areas. Code has righted the imbalance.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 AM

13 posts, read 86,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Desertdweller01,

Agreed 100%. It is a balance. Thing was, it had gotten out of balance in CV largely due to the rental interests and a few neglected areas. Code has righted the imbalance.
Timtheman..I'm looking to purchase a few more lots in CV. Based on your knowledge which areas would you recommend or should I say which areas would you recommend I stay away from. I am currently in two additions:

1. Hualapi-on lake Aztec
2. Isleta-right off of lake Chanute

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Desertweller

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
Hi Cherokee Village
2 Christian Retired Military cousins here. one 53 other 46. We have been looking for 2 yrs for a place in cherokee village. We already own a large future mobilehome lot but looking at this time for a long term lease on one of those small 2 bedroom homes. or better yet get into a Land contract. oldest is Male 22 yrs of military (Marines) youngest is Male with 12 yrs and still works we have ample money for Down and very capable of making payments. just need the right place in the move there. We both have family in Arkansas. We both love to fish on a Saturday . and a good church service on a Sunday. We have one 13 lb housebroken ****zu We rescued 9 yrs ago. We are clean and take pride whereever we live. Hopefully having a garden is allowed. and lots of peace and quiet. So if anyone knows of a owner wishing to move we are interested in there small place. thank you and God Bless. email us at paul-clemons@neo.rr.com

Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 28,859 times
It's been interesting reading a lot of the comments here. My wife and I purchased a lot in HSV back in 1991 and we've visited several times over the years, and I even served on an ad hoc committee as a non-resident property owner for a while. There are, of course, pros and cons about HOA/POAs and the differences between their function and what they really do. I'm from Texas, my wife is from Ohio and Wisconsin. I've lived in Kansas, Washington, New Jersey, and now Ohio (moved here to help take care of my wife's mother in her advanced years). I've lived in areas with a good HOA, very meddling HOA, and no HOA. I prefer the no HOA if the area is kept up. I lived in Plano Texas where neighborhoods pretty well policed themselves without an HOA because neighbors would just walk down to the offending family and explained the problem. Usually that did the trick. However, I live in a small town in NW Ohio and not far from the town square. Trying to get anything done in this town is about impossible. The police don't patrol the street we live on, even though it's a major thoroughfare, yet they will place a car on a cemetery road where there isn't much traffic. The police chief, the mayor, and the city council are absolutely no help in trying to make things better. On the other hand, I've lived in a couple of areas where the HOA was a bit too much, primarily due to who the officers were at the time. Believe me, I'd rather have the latter than the former. You can always vote out the officers, even impeach them if you want. I also have a gripe about people moving in from another area and then trying to make things where they are into what they "thought" they had back where they came from. In Plano, we had a lot of "damn yankees" who thought Texans were just "hicky" and so they were going to educate us. I always told them... "hey you moved down here uninvited, and if you don't like it, then the road you came in on also leads back the other way". Their reason for being in Plano was, of course, the job market in the DFW area. I won't get into the reasons for that. There is nothing wrong with wanting things to be better, but you have to balance what you want with the others living there. No doubt I would much rather have a more strict policy to ensure property values remain strong and the neighborhood looks good and is a safe place to be. But I also don't like "picky" rules and regs, especially since I"m very industrious about keeping my house and my grounds looking good because I take pride in that. I've served on a lot of committees over the years plus I've been a member of P&Z and also a Council Member in Parker, a small town just outside of Plano. I know the headaches that go with that territory, and I know that it's tough to maintain a balance between people's rights to do what they want with their property and for those who want a very clean, very untrashy looking neighborhood. I've never been to CV, have been within about 30 miles (we come down 67 from SL on our way to HSV), but I've seen some pictures. CV looks to be a very pretty place and I don't blame people for wanting to keep it that way. However, too many rules can also ruin the livability of a town as well. From my limited perspective, it appears to me that CV decided to "clean up some areas" and for that they are to be commended. I don't know if CV is a gated community, but if it is, then I do know that gated communities have a stronger ground to enforce rules than with a "open to public" area. That's one of the things we like about HSV... it's gated and they do a good job of maintaining the community, and from what I know, they are not interested in infringing on rights as much as they are making sure people follow the rules that they agreed to when they moved there. C'est pas sorcier

Old 06-21-2015, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Hello CV. I currently live in North Little Rock and looking to move to northern Arkansas. I telecommute and need a good internet service and "hard" telephone line. Northern Arkansas is breathtaking and since I work from home, I would rather look out my window and see beauty and not a house on top of me or pavement. Also, the cost of living is a factor as I am a young 55 yr. old female that recently went back to school, and I need to keep my expenses down so that I do not have to work just to pay a mortgage on a cookie-cutter house for the rest of my life. I believe in taking care of your property. After all, those that live near you see your yard and outside of your home more than you do. And the property values can quickly decline when people stop caring. That being said, I enjoy flower gardening. I am looking to rent for a year before buying property in Cherokee Village. Not familiar with the area, but loved Mountain Home area after taking the scenic route through Mountain Home and over to Mountain View. I am single so I don't want to live out in the boonies, but would like the beautiful trees and lakes. I grew up in rural Arkansas many years ago, moved to Nashville, TN for 15 years, and came back to Arkansas. I would hope that I am welcome, and until I read the posts, it never occurred to me that those retiring from up North would not want a local gal in the community. I have a good job, good credit, and good rental references and my landlord of 7 years in Cabot will tell you I took excellent care of their property; even planting perennials and staining the deck. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated. I am trying to keep the rent at about $650/mth so that I can be prepared for my home purchase in the next year or so. Would like to know where the nearest bigger city is, how far away, and hopefully will meet some nice folks and be part of a community. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas