Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,850 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me about Ash Flat? Is the summer there bad for mosquitos? Whats the high temps in the summer time? How cold does it get in the winter? Or Poughkeepsie is there much differance in the 2 places?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 AM

11 posts, read 54,369 times
The mosquitoes aren't bad in any part of the Ozarks. My guess is that they are milder here than in about any non-desert area of the U.S. The flatlands of Arkansas, over 50 miles to the east of Ash Flat, are notorious for mosquitoes as they are nothing but rice fields. 90s are typical in the summer and they humidity can be a little high--you will sweat from just being outside. The winters usually mild, I wish it snowed a little more around here sometimes. As far as other towns in the area, I don't like Batesville much, but Mountain Home is pretty nice. West Plains, Missouri is pretty good, but I don't care for Poplar Bluff, Missouri much. Jonesboro, Arkansas would have all the basic amenities you would need in a city, or Little Rock is about two hours away. I prefer Missouri, but the people are all friendly around the Ozarks. Ash Flat is in a dry county, which I find strange. If you want to get beer, you will have to drive a ways for it.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM

82 posts, read 223,878 times
Default Ash Flat/Poughkeepsie

Hi Wishbone!

Just joined this forum today to find out some info about Ash Flat as my husband and I just bought 17 acres of raw land between Evening Shade and Ash Flat last month.

We live in Middle TN, at this time, and we find that the weather is very similar to TN.

Ash Flat Weather Forecast and Conditions Arkansas (72513)

Poughkeepsie is one of those places, that if you blink, you've missed it. It's an absolutely gorgeous area though. Mostly farms and woods, rolling hills, very picturesque.

When we were out there last, about 3 weeks ago, the mosquitoes weren't bad at all but the ticks were out in full force.

These are some pictures I took between our last 2 visits.

The first two are the front of our place, the last three are my Mom's (Poughkeepsie mailing address):

We'll be going back out in a few weeks and will be going into Ash Flat so I'll grab some pictures from there and we'll go into Poughkeepsie and grab some there, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Ash Flat??-left-8.jpg   Ash Flat??-right-8.jpg   Ash Flat??-moms.jpg   Ash Flat??-hilltop.jpg   Ash Flat??-pondhouse.jpg  

Last edited by Skip-n-Bit; 07-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: blonde moment

Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Or Poughkeepsie is there much differance in the 2 places?
Thanks
Well, Poughkeepsie is farmland, while Ash Flat is an actual town.

I live between Evening Shade and Ash Flat.

Ash Flat is on what's called, "The Four Lane". It's a section of 62/412 that is lined with businesses. A lot of restaurants, service facilities of various descript, etc.

Ash Flat is the southern most end of that stretch of the highway. As you go north, you'll go through Highland, Cherokee Village, and then Hardy.

When you come to the intersection on the north end, if you go right, you go to Old Town Hardy. Pretty cool place to hang out at every now and then. Drive through the hills in Hardy, look at the multi million dollar McMansions, and wonder where the recession went.

If you go left at that intersection, it'll take you to Mammoth Springs, which has some good restaurants and sightseeing, and a short hop from that is Thayer, MO., where there are *liquor stores*.

It is currently in the 90's here, with dew point going from high 50's to low 70's.

Mosquitos arent that bad, but you can always take some "Off" along. I say it's not too bad, but if you get around a body of water, they'll announce their presence.

You moving, visiting, or fleeing?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Well, we made our third excursion from Middle TN to AR from July 15th - 17th. Due to rain, I wasn't able to get as many pix of Ash Flat as I wanted to and didn't get any of Poughkeepsie.

Pic 1: Eastern AR rice paddy
Pic 2: Crowley's Ridge
Pic 3: Rice paddies before entering the foothills of the Ozarks
Pic 4: Foothills
Pic 5: Foothills
Pic 6: Foothills
Attached Thumbnails
Ash Flat??-p7158471.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7158472.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7158480.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7158488.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7158490.jpg  

Ash Flat??-p7158494.jpg  

Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Default More Pix

Had too many pix for one post so here's the rest of them.

Pic 7: Heading to Ash flat from Cave City
Pic 8: Heading to Ash Flat from Cave City
Pic 9: View of Ash Flat from the Sonic (across from Wally World)
Pic 10: Foothills heading back toward Cave City
Pic 11: Foothills heading back toward Cave City

Enjoy!!!

Dawn
Attached Thumbnails
Ash Flat??-p7168531.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7168532.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7168533.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7168538.jpg   Ash Flat??-p7168539.jpg  

Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Your picture #9 cracked me up. I end up going through there about 3 or 4 times a week, and my wife works over at that Wal Mart. Kinda strange to see it on this forum.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM

92 posts, read 229,819 times
Hey, we must all use the same stall at Sonic!!! LOL!!!! We go there about twice each trip out. And usually combined with a trip to Walmart to stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas