Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 13,764 times

Advertisements

Everyday more people join the ranks of hungry and homeless in Arkansas and the country as a whole. Many people, as a last resort, and many by choice, are moving into their vehicles and adjusting to a new lifestyle. Many sources for food and other assistance is available to people in need but the local foodbank and other resources are getting stretched thin with the ever increasing need for services. Moderator cut: url removed For any of you wanting to see how many people are taking up a new lifestyle as a vehicle dweller, I urge you to visit the helpful website cheaprvliving.com This site has many links and is a great teaching site for those in need.
New ideas, new information, and new referral sources are always needed and I welcome any suggestions that any of you may have to offer.
Hockeypucsays

Last edited by leorah; 12-31-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: No advertising/solicitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,836 times
All homeless people are not the same.

Friend of mine's brother, after a nasty divorce, left Louisiana for parts unknown with a suitcase of money in the trunk of his car. After about a year of not knowing his whereabouts, someone sent my friend a newspaper with his brother's picture in it as a human interest story. Seems he had settled in Austin, TX and was living in his car. Every day he would show up along the river walk and perform for the crowds for hat money. He fed wild birds out of his hand that would land on his outstretched arms by the dozens. By the newspaper's account, he was The Birdman of Austin.

My friend drove there and got his brother to return to Louisiana. He hadn't touched the money in his suitcase. He started working on geneology software and then sold his work for over a million dollars.

This is an unusual case, for sure. But, it goes to illustrate that not everyone who is down and out is there due to extremes of financial condition. There are many hardships in life and each of us cope in our own way. Judge the book, not the cover.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucsays View Post
Everyday more people join the ranks of hungry and homeless in Arkansas and the country as a whole. Many people, as a last resort, and many by choice, are moving into their vehicles and adjusting to a new lifestyle. Many sources for food and other assistance is available to people in need but the local foodbank and other resources are getting stretched thin with the ever increasing need for services. Moderator cut: url removed For any of you wanting to see how many people are taking up a new lifestyle as a vehicle dweller, I urge you to visit the helpful website cheaprvliving.com This site has many links and is a great teaching site for those in need.
New ideas, new information, and new referral sources are always needed and I welcome any suggestions that any of you may have to offer.
Hockeypucsays
Many, many deer are donated around here to "feed the homeless".

A friend of mine that raises catfish did a whole-pond kill last year and donated the fish to "feed the homeless".

Over 300 fish. I can assure you that if someone showed up at his house and said they were hungry, he'd gladly give them a pole, bait, and a knife to clean them.

I've seen the people asking for money on the street, and I've suggested they spend a couple of dollars to get fishing line and a hook and go catch dinner.

I'm not meaning to be cruel here, but the old "give 'em a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish he eats forever" kinda thing is true.

How can one go hungry with the plethora of areas in AR for public fishing and hunting?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post

Friend of mine's brother, after a nasty divorce, left Louisiana for parts unknown with a suitcase of money in the trunk of his car. After about a year of not knowing his whereabouts, someone sent my friend a newspaper with his brother's picture in it as a human interest story. Seems he had settled in Austin, TX and was living in his car. Every day he would show up along the river walk and perform for the crowds for hat money. He fed wild birds out of his hand that would land on his outstretched arms by the dozens. By the newspaper's account, he was The Birdman of Austin.

My friend drove there and got his brother to return to Louisiana. He hadn't touched the money in his suitcase. He started working on geneology software and then sold his work for over a million dollars.

This is an unusual case, for sure. But, it goes to illustrate that not everyone who is down and out is there due to extremes of financial condition. There are many hardships in life and each of us cope in our own way. Judge the book, not the cover.
Great story, yes, many who are homeless or down and out have chosen their life style, others have issues that are beyond many of us.

Nita

Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,764 times
Thanks for your responses. For the type of person who has chosen the mobile lifestyle, I wish them well. Many of them are regular, productive citizens, have fulltime employment and make the same contributions to society as someone living in a regular, mainstream, home of their own. They learn as they go and are appreciative of information to help in their new chosen lifestyle. So, yes, I agree that not everyone who lives in a vehicle is down and out. Now, the other side. Many people and their children have become homeless and it wasn't their first choice. For whatever reason, that is their situation now. They need some help and it is available. I also agree that they should be taught to fish and not just continually fed free taxpayer food forever. Relocation assistance, food bank services, job training, and many other things are helpful for getting people back on track. I also believe that children should not suffer because of their parents situation, regardless of how they got there. The last statistic information I recieved from the state put Arkansas as number three in the country for people being hungry. This did not include the people that were not counted on the census. The figure of over 155,000 people was given for hungry people in Arkansas. This was a while back and I would guess that it has changed by now. Oaklahoma was number one.
Hockeypucsays

Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 PM

Is this the source of your quoted statistics?

See page 20
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/ERR49/ERR49b.pdf

I somehow doubt the veracity of numbers based on responses to surveys, then adjusted by weighting factors. People tend to over state their condition when there is the potential that a reward may be forthcoming. Also, real hunger would tend to skew the number of respondents to under reporting the statistic, as the hungry are much less likely to fill out and return a survey.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM

171 posts, read 326,949 times
Default Hunger in Oklahoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucsays View Post
Thanks for your responses. For the type of person who has chosen the mobile lifestyle, I wish them well. Many of them are regular, productive citizens, have fulltime employment and make the same contributions to society as someone living in a regular, mainstream, home of their own. They learn as they go and are appreciative of information to help in their new chosen lifestyle. So, yes, I agree that not everyone who lives in a vehicle is down and out. Now, the other side. Many people and their children have become homeless and it wasn't their first choice. For whatever reason, that is their situation now. They need some help and it is available. I also agree that they should be taught to fish and not just continually fed free taxpayer food forever. Relocation assistance, food bank services, job training, and many other things are helpful for getting people back on track. I also believe that children should not suffer because of their parents situation, regardless of how they got there. The last statistic information I recieved from the state put Arkansas as number three in the country for people being hungry. This did not include the people that were not counted on the census. The figure of over 155,000 people was given for hungry people in Arkansas. This was a while back and I would guess that it has changed by now. Oaklahoma was number one.
Hockeypucsays
The last I heard about Oklahoma was that we are the most recession proof state in the nation. They do expect some decline this next year, but I doubt it will ever be as bad here as it is in other states.

I don't like surveys. About the only thing I see here is an increase in crime rate in the exclusive areas of Oklahoma City North Side. It's my feeling that a lot of soon-to-be-criminals are really p-ooed at the rich part of town. Wierd things have been happening .... tires slashed, mailboxes painted, etc.

There's still jobs to be had in Oklahoma. The cost of living is good here, so you don't have to make $20.00 and hour to live on.

Lots of people are really angry at having to pay off their charge cards now. There is life without credit cards! Home cooking is great and much healthier, too. Why pay to go to a spa when you can WORK at home, in your yard and reap the benefits in more ways than one! I remember life without cell phones and satellite TV......

There's something to be said about the smaller home also. At least you know what your kids are watching on TV or what they are up to! There's something to be said about "downsizing", but "upscaling" a home!

By the way, how much is a fishing license in Arkansas now?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM

171 posts, read 326,949 times
Default Rich People Do Live In Arkansas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post

Hummm....I know of millionaires living in Mountain View, Arkansas! You would never guess by looking at their houses!

Some people have truly learned of what really matters in this life. The last I knew of, a U-Haul does not travel behind the hearse! At least, I've never seen one doing so.

Books are important, for sure! I think most people don't ever read a good book, little on know how to judge them. I am truly amazed at the lack of education and common sense in some people. I think our education system is the first thing that should be fixed in the United States. Where's the innovation today in our young society? Where's the fun in new inventions for them? Yes, there is some going on, and I know there's lots of very intelligent young people who just need a chance at getting a college degree. Our kids need to be prepared to take care of themselves, their families and this country. My generation of friends and family was so happy and eager to be out in the big world. We knew we needed to have every ounce of education about anything and everything! We had to listen in school and not chew gum or backtalk the teachers. I feel sorry for lots of young folk today. They seem so sad. Survival skills are so important. I'll never forget when my city grandaughter saw how green beans grow....little on the pumpkins!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
By the way, how much is a fishing license in Arkansas now?
Licenses-Fishing The Arkansas Ozarks-Game & Fish Commission Information

I highly reccomend the trout permit add-on.

A few kernals of corn on a hook, a decent bobber on the line, and you're in for some really fine eatin'.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Hippie Lady, my biggest pet peeve about the education system is that they don't teach modern survival skills. Sure, a high schooler can take accounting, but why do so many of them graduate unable to keep their check book balanced? How many kids get out of high school not knowing that the legal system is both civil and criminal, and that for one act of indescretion they can end up in two courtrooms? How many go to rent their first apartment without a clue concerning their rights and responsibilities they're taking on by signing that lease agreement?

I could go on and on. It seems clear to me that kids are not prepared by the schools for coping with life's potential pitfalls, let alone the potential opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas