Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,911 times

Advertisements

Does this happen offen? Do they close many businesses when it does? Just wondering if people still had to drive in it & go to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
I actually evacuated Fayetteville this morning, out to Marion County for some heat, family and electricity.

The roads where fine, however the drivers in this state are the problem, really horrible, but then again going less than 50 is something they are probably not use to.

Anyone in Fayetteville have electricity back yet? The SWEPCO response has been horrible, during major storms in NY they would always be out during the storm repairing it.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM

44 posts, read 126,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
I actually evacuated Fayetteville this morning, out to Marion County for some heat, family and electricity.

The roads where fine, however the drivers in this state are the problem, really horrible, but then again going less than 50 is something they are probably not use to.

Anyone in Fayetteville have electricity back yet? The SWEPCO response has been horrible, during major storms in NY they would always be out during the storm repairing it.

I just got my electricity back here in Springdale. I think Springdale was the hardest hit.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajoh81 View Post
I just got my electricity back here in Springdale. I think Springdale was the hardest hit.
according to the news Springdale and Fayetteville were hit pretty hard, we were a little luckier here in BV even though our temps were a few degrees lower..

Nita

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
Ive quite possibly missed out of the the biggest weather event in NWA in the last 10 years. Just snow and sleet here in Springfield, MO. Absolutely devastating may God be with all of you.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 AM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
I'm glad we didn't get in on any of the snow and ice! I remember the ice storm that started on Christmas day of 2001. We had no power for over a week,and we had it good! Some folks went over two weeks without power. My wife and I stayed under the covers in bed to stay warm for most of the day. I remember hearing limbs crash all around us,and bracing for the impact that thankfully never came.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM

86 posts, read 255,210 times
I am in the River Valley area and we thankfully never lost power. As a newbie to Arkansas all I can say is "WOW"
Hope everyone that has lost power will get it back on soon and are able to stay warm till then.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
I am in the River Valley area and we thankfully never lost power. As a newbie to Arkansas all I can say is "WOW"
Hope everyone that has lost power will get it back on soon and are able to stay warm till then.
I too can say, WOW, I know this is a little unusual but damn, it is cold...

Nita

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Hi, everybody! Been without power since Tuesday afternoon. Spent yesterday morning clearing about 40 good-size branches that had fallen, but then the sun came out and the branches really began falling. After three near-misses I called it quits. I'll be having a major bonfire, soon. Came into work today, hence my post, but I'll be leaving early because I'll have to get home to try and warm the house up to keep the pipes from bursting. Plus, my gutters are all backed up with packed ice and sleet, so the melt is backing up under the shingles. SWEPCO is now saying they are working to get power back on by Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM

985 posts, read 2,600,387 times
Here in Jonesboro tons of trees have broken branches and some have even fallen over at the root and power lines are sagging so low they almost hit the tops of higher vehicles. It's like the twilight zone around here. My power has been out since Tuesday night and let me tell you it's not easy trying to sleep when it's below freezing with no heat. On the upside, about 2/3 of J-Town has power back, and more grocery and gas stores are open, thankfully. I'll just be glad when this mess is over with and we can go back to our regulary scheduled programming lol.

Bufford- No this doesn't happen often, it's a freak occurence around here. We did have an ice storm a few years back but it wasn't nearly this bad. Since we usually don't get severe winter weather we are embarassingly ill prepared for it, thus everyone freaks out and everything shuts down.
Kaye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas