Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,882 times

Advertisements

I lived in Texarkana for a while a couple of years ago. I love this town and miss it tremendously. If anyone is from there I sure would love to visit with them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 PM

287 posts, read 549,552 times
I live in Texarkana and I must say that the city has grown a lot! I'll provide a list of businesses that just opened, will open soon or are under construction.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Here are some of the projects either completed, nearly complete or about to start construction:

Intermodal facility will sonn be under construction. Legacy Tower will be a mixed use office and retail development due to be completed by 2008. Downtown Auditorium is being renovated. Old Burhman Pharr building is being converted into lofts downtown. Downtown grocery is under construction. A 1,000 home project is taking shape on the west side. An 11 story apartment building has just started construction. A massive civic and sports complex is under construction on the Arkanside side. It will have areas for baseball, soccer, football, basketball, tennis as well as swimming pools. In addition it will have an arena that holds up to 6,000 and will be used for concerts, Texarkana Bandits hockey games and conventions. Taking shape near this facility will be a huge development that will feature hotels, restaurants, retail, bars, apartments and more. Southern Refrigerated Trucking has broken ground on 40 acres for it's new facility that will create more than 1,550 jobs. Precision Steamroll Grinders has just completed construction of it's factory.

Among the many retailers, restaurants, educational/medical facilities and hotels coming to the city or just opened include Best Buy, Citi Trends clothing store, Alfredo's Italian Restaurant, Ruby Tuesdays, Coldstone Creamery, Talbot's Department Store, Sav-A-Lot, Travel Inn Plaza Hotel, Goodies, Hooters, Olive Garden, TGI Friday, Ross Dress For Less, Burlington Coat Factory, Gander Mountain, New York Burrito, UPS Store, Starbucks, 2 new Bank of the Ozarks, B Jaxx, Beehive Shoe Outlet, Fred's, Texas A&M is building a new university here that once completed will serve up to 15,000 students, Old Navy, a brand new 200 bed medical center, Shoe Carnival, a 31,000 sq. ft. urology building, Ironwood Grill, 2 Cato's, Pet Smart, Home Depot, Budget Inn, Texas Bank and Trust and several apartment complexes including Chapel Ridge and Lacey Apartments.

As far as transportation goes I-30 is set to be widened to 6 lanes because the traffic has gotten so heavy. When I-30 was first built through Texarkana it was designed for a traffic count of no more than 50,000 but currently our traffic count is well over 80,000. I-49, known locally as Arkansas 549, has been built from Texarkana to Doddridge or just 5 miles north of the La stateline. Louisiana is said to start construction of the Shreveport to Arkansas stateline section soon. Also a spur of I-69 will be built between Marshall, Tx and Texarkana. The southern loop has already been constructed. A northern loop will soon be constructed around the northern part of town and will be the meeting place of the future I-69 spur which will run along the extreme western edge of the city and I-49 North. Texarkana Regional Airport is undergoing a major reconstruction of the terminal and runways with the addition of another airline, Continental, setting up shop. While the Texas side has always eclipsed the Arkansas side as far as growth is concerned it seems like the Arkansas side is making a big comeback! We've always been a major pit stop between Dallas and Little Rock but, now we're the business, transportation, shopping, medical and soo to be entertainment 0hub of the entire N.E. Texas, S.E. Oklahoma and much of Southern Arkansas. You guys should come and check us out.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:45 AM

69 posts, read 273,965 times
WOW! I have been living in Texarkana for the past 8 months and unfortunately our time is almost up here. Sounds like there is lots of good stuff in store for the city. I can only imagine how different it will look in a few years. Maybe a good time to buy real estate here???

Old 10-14-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah, this would be a great time to invest in Texarkana Real Estate. I've heard that many other projects are on the drawing board for the city. I can't wait.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,629 times
Default Texarkana: Rat Hole Town

This person has greatly exaggerated the growth of Texarkana. Most of the growth has been retail/restaurant thus providing us with plenty more low paying jobs. The Legacy Tower will probably never happen because the owners are to cheap to renovate the old Grim Hotel. This historic building continues to sit vacant and further deteriorate. The Richie Grocery project has been moving at a snails pace for the past four years. At this rate, it should be open by spring of 2040. With all of it's deteriorating vacant buildings, downtown Texarkana is a very sad place. With a few meager projects, the Arkansas side seems to be making more of an effort to restore downtown than the Texas side. Texas side is only concerned with the Pleasant Grove Area. I am suprised they have not moved city hall out there. There is no convention center on the way, and who knows when they will ever start building the sportsplex. Construction should have started over a year ago. Also, there is no eleven story apartment complex, and I-30 is not being widened into six lanes; however, it is being reconfigured to support the increased traffic. The intermodal facility was nothing more than a big joke.

With a few exceptions, most of the businesses mentioned in this persons writing did come to town. However, Texarkana is still a rundown looking place with plenty of minimum wage jobs. Most of our talented young people have to move away for good career opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
Here are some of the projects either completed, nearly complete or about to start construction:

Intermodal facility will sonn be under construction. Legacy Tower will be a mixed use office and retail development due to be completed by 2008. Downtown Auditorium is being renovated. Old Burhman Pharr building is being converted into lofts downtown. Downtown grocery is under construction. A 1,000 home project is taking shape on the west side. An 11 story apartment building has just started construction. A massive civic and sports complex is under construction on the Arkanside side. It will have areas for baseball, soccer, football, basketball, tennis as well as swimming pools. In addition it will have an arena that holds up to 6,000 and will be used for concerts, Texarkana Bandits hockey games and conventions. Taking shape near this facility will be a huge development that will feature hotels, restaurants, retail, bars, apartments and more. Southern Refrigerated Trucking has broken ground on 40 acres for it's new facility that will create more than 1,550 jobs. Precision Steamroll Grinders has just completed construction of it's factory.

Among the many retailers, restaurants, educational/medical facilities and hotels coming to the city or just opened include Best Buy, Citi Trends clothing store, Alfredo's Italian Restaurant, Ruby Tuesdays, Coldstone Creamery, Talbot's Department Store, Sav-A-Lot, Travel Inn Plaza Hotel, Goodies, Hooters, Olive Garden, TGI Friday, Ross Dress For Less, Burlington Coat Factory, Gander Mountain, New York Burrito, UPS Store, Starbucks, 2 new Bank of the Ozarks, B Jaxx, Beehive Shoe Outlet, Fred's, Texas A&M is building a new university here that once completed will serve up to 15,000 students, Old Navy, a brand new 200 bed medical center, Shoe Carnival, a 31,000 sq. ft. urology building, Ironwood Grill, 2 Cato's, Pet Smart, Home Depot, Budget Inn, Texas Bank and Trust and several apartment complexes including Chapel Ridge and Lacey Apartments.

As far as transportation goes I-30 is set to be widened to 6 lanes because the traffic has gotten so heavy. When I-30 was first built through Texarkana it was designed for a traffic count of no more than 50,000 but currently our traffic count is well over 80,000. I-49, known locally as Arkansas 549, has been built from Texarkana to Doddridge or just 5 miles north of the La stateline. Louisiana is said to start construction of the Shreveport to Arkansas stateline section soon. Also a spur of I-69 will be built between Marshall, Tx and Texarkana. The southern loop has already been constructed. A northern loop will soon be constructed around the northern part of town and will be the meeting place of the future I-69 spur which will run along the extreme western edge of the city and I-49 North. Texarkana Regional Airport is undergoing a major reconstruction of the terminal and runways with the addition of another airline, Continental, setting up shop. While the Texas side has always eclipsed the Arkansas side as far as growth is concerned it seems like the Arkansas side is making a big comeback! We've always been a major pit stop between Dallas and Little Rock but, now we're the business, transportation, shopping, medical and soo to be entertainment 0hub of the entire N.E. Texas, S.E. Oklahoma and much of Southern Arkansas. You guys should come and check us out.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 34,833 times
What can you tell me about Texarkana. My husband and our 16 month old are suppose to be moving there. We are both from Houston, so I'm a bit worried about the move.
Thanks for any help,

Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 AM

33 posts, read 106,760 times
Texarkana Is changing & growing fast. We drive through there regular, & the road
constrution on I30 is a real headache.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 29,259 times
in a nuttshell.. it sux... I've been living in this mob influinced, church controlled, conservative, head up their hiney hell hole my entire life.... I can't wait to leave....

do a search at the elevations for the surrounding communities.... no matter which way you go... it's up.... we literally are in a hole... with the paper mills and various toxic waste, air polluting companies surrounding us... the chemicals settle right here in town.... no wonder allergies are through the roof... I have been working in north central AR for 30 days now and have finally gotten rid of my sinus infection... my allergies are a million times better and I am seriously not looking forward to goin home tonite...

then theres entertainment... there is none... maybe every once in awhile there will be something at the fairgrounds, but the "ethnic" portion of our community always screws that up....

Miller County (Ar side of Texarkana) is the biggest producer of Meth in the area.... I quit the Sheriffs Office cuz the Chief Deputy was being investigated for drug trafficing....

if you are a preacher, used car salesman, or resturant worker then you have it made... along with a few Century Banks, theres one on every corner...

theres no industry to speak of... what little bit is here, now sux beyond repair...

weather.... theres two seasons... warm winters... and hot as hell summers.... the winters range normally in the 60's to 70's here lately with a few "cold snaps" and the summers are in the 100- 116* range with 70-90% humidity.... it's like breathing through a wet sock with a hairdryer in your face....

the only thing positive that I have to say is that AR side finally stepped up with the public school system.... my son is in 2nd grade at College Hill Elem. (advanced classes) and is having a great time... he's reading on a 4th grade level and doin 5th grade math.... he is in his 2nd year of spanish and sign language.....

with that all being said... I am looking for a dryer climate to move to... I was thinkin Flagstaff AZ, but the high cost of living will prolly change that....

if you have anymore specific questions, I'll be happy to honestly answer them....

AR side is for residential... TX side is for business...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,582 times
Default I think this is exaggerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post

ok so i live in la now and some of our freeways are only 4 lanes. why would they widen a freeway in tk to 6 lanes???? I dont get that. i lived in nashville arkansas 18 years... and tk about 6 months. there is no traffic there and the two lanes are just fine. i have never seen a traffic jam, only when a wreck happened and you can have 9 lanes but, they wont stop it. i think the road project is a waste of money and is taking too long. since i lived here in LA, i have seen intersections of 3 freeways built within a year. and we have 13 million commuters ever day... tk has very very few. and most of those businesses are closing down.. my mother just happen to inform me about the closing of kfc on stateline which is apparently the busiest street in the city and Buffalo Wild wings and goodies and a few other places.... ?????? the town is falling apart and i dont agree with all of the growth talk. and the university is ghetto. i attended there for a semester and quit. its a very poor city and not worth living in. the downtown area seems dead. there are like 5 cars per hour near the courthouse. people! i would never advise moving or starting a family in tk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas