Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, you only wanted to hear good things about Huckabee? No criticisms, huh?
Oh, you mean the one criticism? The one being gay issues. There's more to discuss than that I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh, you mean the one criticism? The one being gay issues. There's more to discuss than that I'm sure.
The Club For Growth - http://www.clubforgrowth.org (http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2007/11/updated_huckabee_white_paper.php - broken link)

Mike Huckabee's record | Salon

Quote:
In the governor's office, his grasp never exceeded his reach. Furniture he'd received to doll up his office was carted out with him when he left, after he'd crushed (http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0807/448893.html - broken link) computer hard drives so nobody could ever get a peek behind the curtain of the Huckabee administration.
Until my paper, the Arkansas Times, blew the whistle, he converted a governor's mansion operating account into a personal expense account, claiming public money for a doghouse, dry-cleaning bills, panty hose and meals at Taco Bell. He tried to claim $70,000 in furnishings provided by a wealthy cotton grower for the private part of the residence as his own, until he learned ethics rules prevented it. When a disgruntled former employee disclosed memos revealing all this, the Huckabee camp shut her up by repeatedly suggesting she might be vulnerable to prosecution for theft because she'd shared documents generated by the state's highest official.
He also had a habit of using the state's helicopter or plane for personal use and wasn't the best at paying the state back.
A quick trip to the library and looking at an Arkansas Times magazine during the time he was governor will give you some analysis of his governorship.

He granted a lot of clemencies, including one that resulted in a young woman being murdered.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth: Huckabee let lots more criminals off the hook (http://www.americablog.com/2007/12/huckabee-let-lots-more-criminals-off.html - broken link)

I can look more into the search on Yahoo and find you more links if you like....

Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
If you google "Huckabee accomplishments" unfortunately, the main stuff that comes up are the accomplishments he's accorded by the Arkansas Family Council. Which only emphasizes that many of his actions are directed by his very conservative religious leanings. Huckabee was passionate about improving education. He served while the courts were taking a hand in the equalization of education, so it's hard to say that what was accomplished during his tenure is his accomplishment or at least partly the result of court actions. The roads improved during his tenure, but a significant amount of roadwork was federally funded, so is that his accomplishment, or the accomplishment of our Congressional delegation that managed to get those monies steered to our state? He lived in a trailer while the Governor's mansion was being updated. He was a spokesman against obesity, and helped sponsor legislation on health issues. He had a folksy, down-to-earth charm, but I wouldn't characterize his administration as particularly dynamic.

Here's the link on the google results:
HUCKABEE ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN ARKANSAS

Hope this helps you!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:47 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:

Here's the link on the google results:
HUCKABEE ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN ARKANSAS

Hope this helps you!
That was helpful!

I am aware that I can do a search on Google. I came here to get opinions from Arkansas people is all.

This was taken from that website:
"In 2004, he allowed a 17% sales tax increase to become law (The Gurdon Times 03/02/04)."

Tell me the sales tax is not that high?? That has to be an error or just simply a lie.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
That was helpful!

I am aware that I can do a search on Google. I came here to get opinions from Arkansas people is all.

This was taken from that website:
"In 2004, he allowed a 17% sales tax increase to become law (The Gurdon Times 03/02/04)."

Tell me the sales tax is not that high?? That has to be an error or just simply a lie.
I think they might have been meaning that the sales tax increased by 17%, not that the sales tax is 17%. Where I live I pay 9.25% sales tax. It's a little steep.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
I think they might have been meaning that the sales tax increased by 17%, not that the sales tax is 17%. Where I live I pay 9.25% sales tax. It's a little steep.
yep DC you are right, I am glad you clarified that. To think it is 17% is really scary..9.25 is bad enough, but many states and cities are climbing in this direction: Parts of Texas, Ca and others. We lived in NM for 7 years, saw our sales tax go from barely 5% to abut 7.5 and going up every year or less, it seemed.

Nita

Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSpringsLiving View Post
Yes, it is good to see more under 25 folks on here! I always wonder about the age stats on here. I am sure we are somewhat of a minority here.
We are a minority in Arkansas period. Go to the General US forums though and its mostly 16-22 year olds. I can understand the frustration of an LGBT person living in Arkansas, a state where pretty much everywhere you go you are going to be hated. Even the heterosexual dating scene in Little Rock is horrible because most 18-24 year olds get out of dodge while they still can and the ones who stay are the ultra religious/conservative type who get married at age 20. Fayetteville is a bit more progressive, kudos to you, but its still no Dallas, Memphis, or even Tulsa. I wanted desperately to get out of here after college, but for some reason I ended up sticking around. I am deeply regreting it now as I feel like I am doing nothing but pissing away my life.

Arkansas WILL continue to decline into irrelevancy if it continues to be run by old-timers whos only agenda is to preserve traditions for the sake of nostalgia and oppose change.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM

99 posts, read 350,337 times
[quote=bchris02;8177176]We are a minority in Arkansas period. Go to the General US forums though and its mostly 16-22 year olds. I can understand the frustration of an LGBT person living in Arkansas, a state where pretty much everywhere you go you are going to be hated. Even the heterosexual dating scene in Little Rock is horrible because most 18-24 year olds get out of dodge while they still can and the ones who stay are the ultra religious/conservative type who get married at age 20./quote]

Talk about minority, I live in Hot Springs, one of the retirement meccas of Arkansas. I do love it though. There is just enough to keep a young adult occupied, especially if you like the outdoors.
Yep, I was married at 21 I know several singles still around, though I am sure it won't be long till they are off to another state with their careers.

Sorry about the wandering off topic.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
[quote=HotSpringsLiving;8177346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
We are a minority in Arkansas period. Go to the General US forums though and its mostly 16-22 year olds. I can understand the frustration of an LGBT person living in Arkansas, a state where pretty much everywhere you go you are going to be hated. Even the heterosexual dating scene in Little Rock is horrible because most 18-24 year olds get out of dodge while they still can and the ones who stay are the ultra religious/conservative type who get married at age 20./quote]

Talk about minority, I live in Hot Springs, one of the retirement meccas of Arkansas. I do love it though. There is just enough to keep a young adult occupied, especially if you like the outdoors.
Yep, I was married at 21 I know several singles still around, though I am sure it won't be long till they are off to another state with their careers.

Sorry about the wandering off topic.
No, its on topic. Huckabee has a very 1950s vision for America similar to the culture now experienced in Arkansas. That vision doesn't appeal to Generation X and Y like it does baby boomers.

Little Rock would be nice I think for a young married couple, just not for singles. I will be off to another state when/if I get the opportunity. For some reason every time I try to leave it blows up in my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas