Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,584 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a new job in the Fort Smith area and I am looking for any information I can find.... I have read the "Fort Smith " post on here and although I appreciate the open conversation... it is not really what i am looking for....

Looking for info on places to live within 30 minute drive..
Schools
Activities.
Lifestyle
Do's and Don'ts

I am married with an 8 year old son... we love the outdoors ( fishing, hunting, riding our Harley)..... We are looking to rent for awhile until we can decide on a location to purchase a home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
You need to be careful where you live. The storms in that area can spawn twoisters. Do not be near or in an open field. Tornadoes normally move in a SW to NE direction. You might look in the SE corner - especially if it is heavily wooded and hilly

Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
lol. Don't listen to linicx. It doesnt matter where you live; tornadoes can hit anywhere.

If you want to live in Fort Smith, the south side and east side are nice.

Some of the nice smaller towns within 30 miles:
Greenwood (south of Fort Smith)
Alma (east of Fort Smith).
Both of the towns have excellent schools.
Van Buren is also a good option and is the closest of the three.

This area is full of places to fish and hunt. There are also great little highways to ride your Harley; most heading north to Fayetteville.

Activities: Most of the schools offer the same thing. The schools around here seem to spend more money on ahtletic facilities than academic facilities so if the 8-year-old plays sports, any of the schools listed above will be above average. Little league sports go through 5th and school sports start in 6th.

Other than school activities, Fort Smith doesn't have a whole lot to offer. After all, it is a smaller city.

Lifestyle: There are liberal pockets of the area, but this is a conservative area. Don't know what more to say about that.

Dos and don'ts: The only real "don't" I can think of is moving to the north side of Fort Smith or eastern Oklahoma. Those are really the only bad parts of the area.

I have lived in this area for 27 years (20 years in Alma, 7 years in Van Buren), and like any city, it is what you make of it.

I may actually be trying to rent out my 3 bedroom house in Van Buren as I may also have to move for work. What are you looking for in a rental?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
These web sites can help you get a feel for the area:

The City Wire | Our Community, Online

Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas

FortSmithMoms.com > Home

Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
don't let anyone scare you about tornados, I don't know where you are now living, but the chance of being in the middle of one is highly unlikely. We lived, for 13 years in No Texas (tornado alley) never did we have one, we had several pretty close calls and some horrible winds but heck you can live anywhere and face a natural disaster. I do think the plains areas do get hit harder than the hilly areas with lots of trees, still that isn't a reason to be overly concerned..

good luck, find a nice neighborhood and enjoy your new city.

Nita

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
don't let anyone scare you about tornados, I don't know where you are now living, but the chance of being in the middle of one is highly unlikely.
Those in the know just install a shelter and don't worry anymore.

But wait.......there's more!!

The State of Arkansas...simply because it wants to be your bestest buddy in the whole wide world...will reimburse you 1/2 of the cost of a storm shelter up to $1,000.

It must be covered on 3 sides, have a 3 hinged door, and 3 locking lugs.

The most popular modern one in my neighborhood is a 6 X 12 reinforced concrete, about $3,500 installed. Floor is 5" thick, walls are 4". A number of places carry them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas