Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM

20 posts, read 75,013 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow South Arkansans. My wife and I are moving to South Arkansas in the next few months. My family has always been from that area. We are SO excited to join the community!!

We are looking for a location to bring a great restaurant into the area. It is a fun, family friendly atmosphere, with GREAT food! We would like to find about 5,000 to 6,000 sq/ft & preferably a location that has been a restaurant in the past - although conversion is possible. We will also need lots of parking.

We will either start in El Dorado or in Magnolia first - depending on the locations that are available this year. About 6 to 9 months after opening day, we hope to open in the second city.

I am traveling into the area this weekend to review a few location possibilities in El Dorado. Here are questions I have:
#1: What is the story on the Mellor Park Mall? Would you go there to eat? I remember going there as a kid and it was a fun place... but it seems that time has taken a toll and it isn't what it used to be. What do you think?

#2: We believe that it would be wise for us to locate on or near NW Ave., but if there was a GOOD, FUN restaurant off the main drag, would you go there?

#3: Do you have any location suggestions or preferences? Do you know any restaurants that are about to go out of business ... or who should be? There are several "empty" locations, but many of them are still tied up in extensive leases, so it is harder to find a place than you think. But please, give us a few suggestions. There maybe something that you have seen that we haven't!
This restaurant is for YOU, for the COMMUNITY, for YOUR KIDS, SCHOOLS, & FAMILIES, so I don't want to do it without YOUR input! Thank you for your help. Once we are open, we will return the favor!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,287 times
Default Welcome Back To LA/Lower Arkansas :)

I'm from Camden so I'll try and give you what info I have. Would love for you to open a place here ....but I hear a rumor that the place where the Flying Burger is in Magnolia may be vacant soon. They are moving to El Dorado from what I've heard. In Camden the old KFC in empty. The old Burger King is being rented by Victory Church in Camden. It would be a great location for a place if the church wanted to give it up. Looks like the Good Times Grill building is empty in El Dorado. It is located on NW Avenue. Best of luck to you....

Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
better go to magnolia...

you wont do anything in eldo w/o Dick Mason's blessing.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
I'm from Camden so I'll try and give you what info I have. Would love for you to open a place here ....but I hear a rumor that the place where the Flying Burger is in Magnolia may be vacant soon. They are moving to El Dorado from what I've heard. In Camden the old KFC in empty. The old Burger King is being rented by Victory Church in Camden. It would be a great location for a place if the church wanted to give it up. Looks like the Good Times Grill building is empty in El Dorado. It is located on NW Avenue. Best of luck to you....
Thanks for the info. I will be in town tomorrow looking at some of that. About the Flying Burger, we heard that they are going in to the Good Times Grill location as a second location and not closing the first. Their 1st location isn't big enough to hold us, but we are looking in that area. But all that is just rumor right now.

To be honest about Camden, it is a little scary to us. The economy there seems shaky and there just doesn't seem to be that much growth at this time. Or am I missing something? I think if some jobs came to town and everything started to pick up again, we would take a serious look at a smaller third location in Camden in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
better go to magnolia...

you wont do anything in eldo w/o Dick Mason's blessing.
We are looking into Magnolia, but who is Dick Mason?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 AM

200 posts, read 682,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayZorback View Post
Thanks for the info. I will be in town tomorrow looking at some of that. About the Flying Burger, we heard that they are going in to the Good Times Grill location as a second location and not closing the first. Their 1st location isn't big enough to hold us, but we are looking in that area. But all that is just rumor right now.

To be honest about Camden, it is a little scary to us. The economy there seems shaky and there just doesn't seem to be that much growth at this time. Or am I missing something? I think if some jobs came to town and everything started to pick up again, we would take a serious look at a smaller third location in Camden in the future.

We are looking into Magnolia, but who is Dick Mason?
Richard Mason and his wife own a lot of the property on and around the downtown square in El Dorado. His wife is also currently on the city council. That being said, they are nice enough folks who just want a more beautiful and prosperous El Dorado. And like I said, they are located on the square. If you aren't looking to put up shop on the square, you shouldn't really have to worry too much about any potential "meddling" from them.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
Richard Mason and his wife own a lot of the property on and around the downtown square in El Dorado. His wife is also currently on the city council. That being said, they are nice enough folks who just want a more beautiful and prosperous El Dorado. And like I said, they are located on the square. If you aren't looking to put up shop on the square, you shouldn't really have to worry too much about any potential "meddling" from them.
Ah, ok. I don't think the square has enough parking or a large enough space (5k - 6k sqft) for our concept. But thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,287 times
Default Mall in El Dorado?

I'm just wondering what doesn't anyone put money into the mall in El Dorado? Murphy Oil for one example? There seems to be lots of potential there. Lord knows we need a nice mall in South Arkansas again. We usually drive down from Camden to go to JC Penney's or Stage at the mall. I also like to go to Tuesday Morning there also....Seems such a shame. As for South Arkansas people, some of us will drive 30 miles just to go eat at a new or nice place cause there's nothing else to do here

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM

41 posts, read 153,772 times
I would be glad to help with Magnolia restaurant history And site selection as you consider Magnolia.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 AM

200 posts, read 682,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
I'm just wondering what doesn't anyone put money into the mall in El Dorado? Murphy Oil for one example? There seems to be lots of potential there. Lord knows we need a nice mall in South Arkansas again. We usually drive down from Camden to go to JC Penney's or Stage at the mall. I also like to go to Tuesday Morning there also....Seems such a shame. As for South Arkansas people, some of us will drive 30 miles just to go eat at a new or nice place cause there's nothing else to do here
With regards to the mall, you have to have an owner willing to invest time and money into it, or willing to sell it to someone who is. Unfortunately, the current mall owner is none of those things.

Besides, I think malls are a thing of the past now. The current in-thing is "lifestyle centers". But those sort of places have population requirements, and that population has to reside within a certain mileage radius, which is too bad. If you consider the population of Union County, and all the counties and parishes that touch it, the number is right around 200,000. Half of that is covered by Union, Columbia, and Ouachita counties alone (El Dorado, Magnolia, and Camden).

Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the posts. Just to let you know, it looks like we have a location! We are currently in talks with the landlords and anticipate signing the paperwork this week or next.

@Magnolia Fan: thanks for the offer of help in Magnolia. We will be looking there next. You can follow me on twitter or just watch city-data for the next post about looking for a restaurant location in Magnolia! ha!

Thanks again yall. If something changes I will let everyone know & if we sign it, I'll let you know where we will be and what we will be doing!

--
@RayZorback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas