Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM

297 posts, read 1,300,800 times

Advertisements

Am wondering which of the three you think is best? I've a friend that is trying to decide on one of the small towns to move to in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM

80 posts, read 367,621 times
Well, personally I would never go that far south, because, well.. I am a wimp. Bugs, southerners, and heat aren't my thing (Yes, I am a Yankee).

But if I HAD to pick one of them, I'd go with Magnolia. El Dorado to me is considered the armpit of Arkansas.

Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
Well, personally I would never go that far south, because, well.. I am a wimp. Bugs, southerners, and heat aren't my thing (Yes, I am a Yankee).

But if I HAD to pick one of them, I'd go with Magnolia. El Dorado to me is considered the armpit of Arkansas.

Just my thoughts, hope I didn't offend anyone.
What was your point in posting? Why would anybody moving to arkansas ON PURPOSE be interested in the opinion of somebody that hates arkansas for the very shallow reasons mentioned by you?

No difference if I were to say I hate "the north" and never go there because it's frozen and full of damn yankees, who would give a rat's behind my opinion of a particular northern city? Oh, let me guess; "he hates it".

I strongly suspect the op was looking for the opinion of somebody that actually had something constructive to say.

To the OP I would say; you may have noticed that all 3 cities are quite close to each other and similar in size. There's little difference geographically. My advice would be to move down there NOT having picked one over the other by long distance. Visit them, it won't be difficult since they are all so close together.

It would help if we knew things like WHY your friend selected specifically these 3 towns. What are they looking for? What criteria were they using to narrow their search to these three cities?

As to the other guy calling el dorado "the armpit of arkansas"; I don't know where this yank comes up with that. I live in Texas (Texarkana), which is approximately a 1hr to 1 1/2hr drive from any of them, I have friends and occasional business in all 3 of the mentioned cities and I've never in my life heard anybody refer to el dorado as the armpit of arkansas.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM

10 posts, read 54,603 times
Well, Cbussy, what did you leave to say. But I felt I had to respond.
I really feel a sting when we get a "Yank" down here and hear nothing but negative things come from them. I think to myself; "why are you here?". I can only surmise that it is jealousy. Southern folks are generally a kind, well mannered people. As for the South? It is beautiful.
So, only thing I have to say is "If you can't say anything nice, GO HOME!"

I am from Prescott, and have family in all the above mentioned areas. My recommendation would be Magnolia. I agree with CBussy, come see them all. You should never blindly move into an area without checking it out first.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM

113 posts, read 571,222 times
I second the Magnolia reccomendation. I don't have a good reason. I just like Magnolia the best of the three places you mentioned.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Thanks-

Probably a question I shouldn't have asked ; since I live in Camden. I just wanted other opionions since I do live in Camden and am asked which is better? It saddens me that I can see downfalls in all 3 towns due to the local ecomony, crime, etc. of each town. Camden was at one of its' peaks in the mid-eighties when General Dynamics and International Paper Company was in town and the defense industry was booming. Are other states having similular downfalls in small towns?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM

21 posts, read 85,358 times
Default Yankee Here

I am a 6 year resident of Arkansas. I moved here from Wisconsin, so I was indeed considered a "Yankee". Two years ago I married a native Arkansan, and she tells me jokingly that I am now a "Yankabilly". I could not be happier. I have traveled all over our great country, and I have to say that most northerners are nice people, but at times cold, or rude. Much unlike the welcome you get from most southerners. They are the most friendly people I have met. They teach their children respect for all. My parents also taught me that, but it seems more a rareity in the northern states. They seem to teach selective respect, something we clearly saw in one of the previous posts. We live in NC Arkansas, (Cherokee Village), so I cannot give my opinion as to which city is a better choice. All I can say is please not to judge all "Yankees" by their place of birth. Some of us are real people, raised with the same teaching of most southerners. To treat others as you would want them to treat you.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 26,928 times
Hey, anjoe i know it is a bit late but here is something to consider as well... The El Dorado Promise! Honey, if your friend has children or is planning to have children Murphy Oil, I believe, is awarding scholarships to graduates of the El Dorado school district. So because of the closeness of the three, El Dorado has a flashing dollar sign as an icon for its city right now, in my opinion. El Dorado's promise could possibly save you thousands of dollars in the future. Heck, I am strongly considering relocating myself. I don't know what other factors she has to consider but a free college education is a major positive.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Murphy's Oil Promise To El Dorado

If you child goes from kindergarten thru 12 college tution is paid 100%. You need to do a search and find out exactly how it will work for your advantage. Try looking up El Dorado's City newspaper and reading the article about Murphy Oil's Promise To El Dorado....

Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM

564 posts, read 2,342,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbussey View Post
What was your point in posting? Why would anybody moving to arkansas ON PURPOSE be interested in the opinion of somebody that hates arkansas for the very shallow reasons mentioned by you?

No difference if I were to say I hate "the north" and never go there because it's frozen and full of damn yankees, who would give a rat's behind my opinion of a particular northern city? Oh, let me guess; "he hates it".

I strongly suspect the op was looking for the opinion of somebody that actually had something constructive to say.

To the OP I would say; you may have noticed that all 3 cities are quite close to each other and similar in size. There's little difference geographically. My advice would be to move down there NOT having picked one over the other by long distance. Visit them, it won't be difficult since they are all so close together.

It would help if we knew things like WHY your friend selected specifically these 3 towns. What are they looking for? What criteria were they using to narrow their search to these three cities?

As to the other guy calling el dorado "the armpit of arkansas"; I don't know where this yank comes up with that. I live in Texas (Texarkana), which is approximately a 1hr to 1 1/2hr drive from any of them, I have friends and occasional business in all 3 of the mentioned cities and I've never in my life heard anybody refer to el dorado as the armpit of arkansas.
You, I like.

South Arkansas is a hot, muggy place, but I think Magnolia would be nice. It has a nice small university there and crime is on the low side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas