Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 PM

297 posts, read 1,299,667 times

Advertisements

Are there any neat archeology places or places where it would be interesting to look for arrowheads etc? Appreciate any ideas of where to go looking.....Civil war relics also would be fun to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
When I was a kid, I used to find arrowheads in the River Valley in western Arkansas, but they weren't all over the place. I was kind of a modern day Huck Finn. My family had hundreds and hundreds of acres of land. My friends and I would just aimlessly explore all summer.

Any place where they are in abundance will probably have some restrictions. I bet ArkansasSlim may have some info about this too. He will probably chime in.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 PM

199 posts, read 319,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
Are there any neat archeology places or places where it would be interesting to look for arrowheads etc? Appreciate any ideas of where to go looking.....Civil war relics also would be fun to look for.

You have to be careful when doing this sort of thing. Technically speaking, you are not allowed to collect arrowheads, however it is one of those things that as long as your not collecting and then selling, you will not likely run into any problems.

There is a place near Murfreesboro called the KA-DO-HA Indian Village, here's a website... KADOHA
They have modern manufactured arrow heads that they scatter about and let the kids collect, but obviously it is geared towards the kids.

Generally speaking though, secluded river banks and streams are a good place to look.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
When I was a kid, I used to find arrowheads in the River Valley in western Arkansas, but they weren't all over the place. I was kind of a modern day Huck Finn. My family had hundreds and hundreds of acres of land. My friends and I would just aimlessly explore all summer.

Any place where they are in abundance will probably have some restrictions. I bet ArkansasSlim may have some info about this too. He will probably chime in.
Ha! You knew I couldn't pass on this!! anjoe, my professional brain tells me I should tell you that you shouldn't do that, but my realistic brain tells me to tell you to find a friendly property owner who has a plowed field; preferably bottom land (river or large free flowing creek). But GET PERMISSION because people who own property where Indian artifacts are found have problems with trespassers and vandals and get really touchy about people on their property. I don't know where you live, but that will give you a clue. Also very important! Stay off state or federal land! If they catch you it can mean immediate arrest, confiscation of your vehicle, and hefty fine and possible jail time. If that isn't enough, if they decide you have caused physical damage (holes, chopped down trees etc), they can asses the cost of repair and unrepairable damage and charge you for that. I helped repair and asses one damaged site that cost the perp over $10,000. That included six people at X$ per hour for X hours,and transportation cost at X cents per mile. That's on state or federal property.

Having said all that, I would ask you to record as closely as possible where you find the points, then take them and your record to your closest archeologist so the location can be documented and the relics photographed. They should not take the relics from you - they only want to know where they came from and how old they are.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM

297 posts, read 1,299,667 times
Default South Arkansas here in LA/Lower Arkansas :)

That's where we live..... We've thought about investing in a metal detector and going to Poision Springs in South Arkansas to look for civil war relics. There is a legend here around Posion Springs and around Cale that a mule packed down with civil war coins was lost and the coins was buried for safe keeping. I just thought it would be neat to get the kids interested in something else along history lines, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
That's where we live..... We've thought about investing in a metal detector and going to Poision Springs in South Arkansas to look for civil war relics. There is a legend here around Posion Springs and around Cale that a mule packed down with civil war coins was lost and the coins was buried for safe keeping. I just thought it would be neat to get the kids interested in something else along history lines, etc.
Living in "LA" is the perfect place to look for points. Find a cooperative farmer and walk the rice, bean, and wheat fields after they have been plowed, preferably after a rain. "After a rain" should be no problem for the past few months. I have metal detected at Poison Springs, Marks Mills, and Jenkins Ferry. They were all part of the Union escape from Camden. Found lots of stuff at Jenkins Ferry, quite a bit at Poison Springs, and very little at Marks Mill. They all had similar activity but we never found the "hot spot" at Marks Mill. If you get a metal detector, get a good one. I always had Whites but others preferred other brands. It's kinda like; I like a Ford but you like a Chevy.

I started out metal detecting school play grounds and city parks. I suspect most school play grounds are now fenced, so you may have to get permission to search them. Where ever you search, be sure you back-fill your holes, and it makes no difference if you are on a play ground or out in the boonies. It's just the proper and ethical thing to do; don't leave a trace of your visit.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 30,771 times
hello all I live in a place where arrow heads are plenty found a war axe and a lot of arrow heads I live in north ark

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 30,771 times
Hello everyone I also do gold hunting. Yea I know you cant find gold here in ark. My brother inlaw lives in dawson ville ga. Right on the gold belt.it. was the gold rush before the cal gold rush. Just wondering if 2 or 3 more people would like to go and camp and do some gold prospecting.We could all split the gas.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
My father owned a farm in Oregon, which was a small valley after retirement. I found war axes and other sharpened tools. a stone modern and pestle spear heads, and arrow heads. It had been a winter camping location with 2 small streams that ran into one another, and protected by hills all around. Very pleasant place, and fun to find things like this.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
I have a place I hunt along bull shoals lake. Found lots of stuff. Sadly it's under water right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas