Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
A world war 3 is the best thing that can happen to the United States if they wants to hold their status as the leaders of the world.
That is of course if China joins in on the North Korean side, which will never happen. I don't think China a dumb enough to do that, but if it happens the US will try to conquer its biggest threat before it's too late. I think if the US would have any chance of doing that, it must be now.
Are you serious? Are you nuts? Of course you're going to be the first in line to sign up, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 AM

312 posts, read 909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Are you serious? Are you nuts? Of course you're going to be the first in line to sign up, right?
No I'm not an American citizen, if I were, I wouldn't either!
I'm not for a war. But ask yourself, why do you think the US havn't invaded North Korea yet? Because they got nothing to win.
I mean, North Korea is a communist state, they got nuclear weapons.
Wasn't that the reasons for going into Iraq? Or Vietnam?

It's all a bunch of bull****. In Iraq they got the oil, in Vietnam who the **** knows but they had some hidden agenda. Now when it comes to North Korea nobody wonders why the US havn't stepped up and saved the world once again. Like everyone else has said, China would never back up NK anyways.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,544 times
stolpioni where are you from?

Old 11-26-2010, 04:38 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
No I'm not an American citizen, if I were, I wouldn't either!
I'm not for a war. But ask yourself, why do you think the US havn't invaded North Korea yet? Because they got nothing to win.
I mean, North Korea is a communist state, they got nuclear weapons.
Wasn't that the reasons for going into Iraq? Or Vietnam?

It's all a bunch of bull****. In Iraq they got the oil, in Vietnam who the **** knows but they had some hidden agenda. Now when it comes to North Korea nobody wonders why the US havn't stepped up and saved the world once again. Like everyone else has said, China would never back up NK anyways.
1. Iraq was about establishing a Democracy in the Middle East, so other countries would see its beauty. It didn't work out that way and Bush was very naive in ever thinking it would work. The initial reason was because of WMDs. They didn't find any and then Saddam said you can't inspect anymore. It was not about oil or money. I don't think Iraq even has enough oil for the US to break even from the expenses of rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure and the cost of the war.

2. Vietnam was during the Cold War. The leaders during that time were afraid of a domino effect of countries turning communist.

---

I believe the US has not been more aggressive with North Korea because of China and Russia. The fact North Korea has nuclear weapons and plans to develop more isn't reason enough. I don't think China or Russia want to deal with millions of poor North Koreans running toward the border. I don't think they want to stop doing business with North Korea either. I know a lot of South Koreans who don't want the countries to be combined ever or accept all the refugees from war. That's why at least my family in Seoul have been saying tensions are much lower and the word on the street isn't war yet. South Korea has a strong modern economy and they don't want a bunch of poor starving un-educated people plowing through the border. The only people who want to attack right now are the ones on that island.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-26-2010 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: personal attack removed

Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Mod Note:

Please restrict the thread to discussing North and South Korea.

Members who wish to discuss other US policies are welcome to do so in either Politics or History depending on timeline.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
They need a boogie man to keep the peoples mind of the fact that they are starving etc.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
I've lived in South Korea and Japan for the better part of the last 15 years - since 1996.

Basically, Seoul is about 25 miles away from North Korea. (Seoul is the capital and main economic engine of South Korea).

Basically, if a war happened, Seoul would be wiped out almost immediately. Just basic basic weapon artillery could wipe it out.

The damage would be horrific. Japan is also relatively close to North Korea as well. Whenever war would happen, basically you destroy South Korea and probably serious casualties to Japan.

Being that Japan and South Korea are major major allies to the United States...plus their economic engines alone seriously make the world go around. Direct damage to Seoul and Tokyo would put the economic world into a huge tailspin.

This part of the world isn't like Iraq or Afghanistan that the US can bomb to smithereens and have minor impact on the world economic scale. North Korea is right NEXT to two of the largest economic drivers in the world.

If South Korea or the US or anyone else 'went to war' against North Korea, Seoul has one immensely large gun to its head with the trigger about half-cocked. There is no possible way you can take out the North Korean government and go to war against it, without that trigger being pulled and Seoul destroyed in the process.

That is basically the reason that the US/SK is just waiting this thing out, and have been waiting out for the last 50+ years, and are hoping to continue to wait it out.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
No one doubts that the Norks are crazy, but are they irrational enough to drop WMD on Seoul? I'm betting no. They surely understand that the USAF would promptly be over Pyongyang with retribution.
FWIW, the South could and *should* respond militarily, but they won't. In two weeks, the DMZ will reopen for SK food and other humanitarian shipments. All the while , the North will spend all of it's money on arms. It's basically no different than paying the bully with one's lunch money and still getting beat up behind the school every afternoon.
Rbryant, after serving two USAF tours in the ROK, I have to agree with you. While Kim Jong Il is as nutty as his father was. I believe he has enough sense that if he made the "first strike" it would be his last. So I truly believe that, while he's a lunatic, he's also smart enough to realize that he can be a thorn in the rest of the world's side AND still retain power over his destitute dictatorship.

I was stationed in South Korea in the 1970's-1980, when a tour there was considered "remote". Now, there is family housing and DoDDS schools, large commissaries and other retail. Heck, a tour in the ROK is almost as cushy as Europe (maybe even more fascinating in many respects...) I truly do not believe that U.S. policymakers would allow military family members and other civilians to reside that close to the DMZ if they thought there was a real danger. Just my humble opinion...

Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
No I'm not an American citizen, if I were, I wouldn't either! I'm not for a war. But ask yourself, why do you think the US haven't invaded North Korea yet?
Maybe because Seoul is right next to North Korea and we don't want our ally burned to a crisp to make a point?

Moderator cut: As mentioned above, off topic material doesn't belong in this thread and will be removed

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-29-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
U.S will not get into a war in N. Korea period unless a nuclear incident occurs. I think Americans have had enough of the Iraq and Afghanistan war. I do think the U.S will provide arms, artillery, etc. to S. Korea in case it escalates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia