Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've lived in Japan for 3 years, and Korea for a lot more.

I've never got the impression that Japanese don't like Americans. I haven't had even one problem yet in Japan because of my nationality.

In Korea, it's political. They resent having a large number of American military all over the place, right in the heart of Seoul and everywhere else.

In Japan, the american military isn't a large presense right in the middle of the city.

Basically, imagine if we have a large foreign military of Chinese all over the U.S. They create resentment.

That being said, Koreans and Japanese are both pretty forgiving and nice to individual Americans, even to the U.S. soldiers themselves. Always been nice to me. I've plenty of u.s. soldiers in both Japan and Korea (there are bases all over the place in both countries), and most seem to like both countries quite a bit.

You basically just have incidents that happen, that spark anti-americanism. Like when a local girl gets killed by a G.I. or whatever such things - seems to have issues like that that happen in both Korea and Japan, sadly enough.

But as an American living here, I've had zero issues of anti-americanism directed towards me. In Korea, occassionally, when political things get hot. Never towards me personally though. But you'll just hear a political demonstration with anti-american overtones, etc. Stuff like that, moreso in Korea.
Well, that's nice to hear Tiger, I love the culture and am excited on visiting both. I wouldn't mind living a year or two in each. I'm a KDrama addict though, I might spend all my time in front of the tube. lol I'm sure I will embarrass myself once or twice, I hope they are forgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
I don't know if Lee Myung-bak can read/write/speak/understand Chinese.

Why don't you ask your Korean friends to translate the sentence into Chinese?

Yes, however, almost no one used Hangul until Japan forced them to do it

Hangul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Due to growing Korean nationalism in the 19th century, Japan's attempt to sever Korea from China's sphere of influence, and the Gabo Reformists' push, Hangul was eventually adopted in official documents for the first time in 1894.
Korean people used to believe Chinese characters are the characters they should use. They even wrote official documents in Chinese, even though they couldn't speak Chinese
Maybe because I don't live there anymore.
Secondly, it's not going to come up in the emails we share.

I neither know nor care who Lee Myung-bak is.

But I'm sure you're right, you seem to know all about DoD public affairs offices.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Quote:
I don't know if Lee Myung-bak can read/write/speak/understand Chinese.

Why don't you ask your Korean friends to translate the sentence into Chinese?

Yes, however, almost no one used Hangul until Japan forced them to do it

Hangul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Due to growing Korean nationalism in the 19th century, Japan's attempt to sever Korea from China's sphere of influence, and the Gabo Reformists' push, Hangul was eventually adopted in official documents for the first time in 1894.
Korean people used to believe Chinese characters are the characters they should use. They even wrote official documents in Chinese, even though they couldn't speak Chinese
As you yourself quoted, several issues were behind the popularization of hangul. I'm still confused about how you can take away this point of pride for Koreans....If you want to insult Korea there are many easier targets.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe because I don't live there anymore.
Secondly, it's not going to come up in the emails we share.

I neither know nor care who Lee Myung-bak is.

But I'm sure you're right, you seem to know all about DoD public affairs offices.
Lee Myung Bak is only the President of South Korea. Who cares right? Please tell us more about Korea.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM

212 posts, read 399,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And for the record, comfort women were not prostitutes - they were women and girls enslaved for the sexual pleasure of Japanese soldiers.
Enslaved? I wonder why many of them could make more money than Japanese officers could.
slave
–noun 1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
2. a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person: a slave to a drug.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/wo...a/08korea.html might interest you.

Oh, have you ever seen this flowchart? http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~JK3M-SITU/link/krflowchart.jpg (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7EJK3M-SITU/link/krflowchart.jpg - broken link)

Guess who drew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
As you yourself quoted, several issues were behind the popularization of hangul. I'm still confused about how you can take away this point of pride for Koreans....If you want to insult Korea there are many easier targets.
The sentence I quoted makes sense to you? It doesn't.

Imagine if there was "growing Korean nationalism in the 19th century", what should Japan do? Encourage them to use Hangul? For what? Against Japan? Tell me what you think.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times
Quote:
Enslaved? I wonder why many of them could make more money than Japanese officers could.
slave
–noun 1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
2. a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person: a slave to a drug.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/wo...a/08korea.html might interest you.

Oh, have you ever seen this flowchart? http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~JK3M-SITU/link/krflowchart.jpg (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7EJK3M-SITU/link/krflowchart.jpg - broken link)

Guess who drew it.

That is awful that the S Korean government would encourage women to be prostitutes and that the American government would condone its servicemen using prostitutes. The difference is that these women chose to be prostitutes - albeit their choice was motivated by poverty and need. The women and girls the Japanese abducted and raped repeatedly had no choice. Were there actual prostitutes being used as 'comfort women'? Probably. But not all, and not by a long shot.

Thousands of Asian women – some as young as 12 – were "enslaved ... and repeatedly raped, tortured and brutalised for months and years", according to Amnesty International. Sexual abuse, beatings and forced abortions left many unable to bear children

Korea's 'comfort women': The slaves' revolt - Asia, World - The Independent

Unfortunately all nations and peoples have histories that are less then perfect, and we all have shameful pasts. As an American, I can assure you that I do know that we are not blameless either. The difference is that other nations do admit to their faults, failures and unnecessary human suffering they may have caused. Look at how Germany has dealt with the Holocaust. Japan however has a long history of ignoring, whitewashing and denying any wrongdoing ever. And that is shameful.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is awful that the S Korean government would encourage women to be prostitutes and that the American government would condone its servicemen using prostitutes. The difference is that these women chose to be prostitutes - albeit their choice was motivated by poverty and need. The women and girls the Japanese abducted and raped repeatedly had no choice. Were there actual prostitutes being used as 'comfort women'? Probably. But not all, and not by a long shot.

Thousands of Asian women – some as young as 12 – were "enslaved ... and repeatedly raped, tortured and brutalised for months and years", according to Amnesty International. Sexual abuse, beatings and forced abortions left many unable to bear children

Korea's 'comfort women': The slaves' revolt - Asia, World - The Independent

Unfortunately all nations and peoples have histories that are less then perfect, and we all have shameful pasts. As an American, I can assure you that I do know that we are not blameless either. The difference is that other nations do admit to their faults, failures and unnecessary human suffering they may have caused. Look at how Germany has dealt with the Holocaust. Japan however has a long history of ignoring, whitewashing and denying any wrongdoing ever. And that is shameful.
Well said. Most "accurate" history books and historians would agree that most of the women were enslaved by the Japanese into prostitution rather then choice.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Well said. Most "accurate" history books and historians would agree that most of the women were enslaved by the Japanese into prostitution rather then choice.
Not really.

‘唚ÎIŠØ‘*•{‚ªŽ©”šI ˆÔˆÀ•w‚̐³‘Ì‚ð–\˜II is one of the evidences offered by Korea government to prove the exsistence of so called comfort woman. This ads, not an order, says:

Prostitutes Wanted

No choice? Korea government shouldn't agree with that.

Enslaved? Let's see how much money those slaves could make. 300 Yen/month. A police officer's salary was 45 Yen/month at that time. Slaves in the US used to get more salaries than police officers got?

Prove me wrong.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Not really.

‘唚ÎIŠØ‘*•{‚ªŽ©”šI ˆÔˆÀ•w‚̐³‘Ì‚ð–\˜II is one of the evidences offered by Korea government to prove the exsistence of so called comfort woman. This ads, not an order, says:

Prostitutes Wanted

No choice? Korea government shouldn't agree with that.

Enslaved? Let's see how much money those slaves could make. 300 Yen/month. A police officer's salary was 45 Yen/month at that time. Slaves in the US used to get more salaries than police officers got?

Prove me wrong.
Are you a product of the Japanese education system? I have never heard of these women volunteering to be raped by hundreds of Japanese soldiers throughout Asia. All you have to do is search comfort women and you'll see countless articles where they reference "forced". This would be comparable to saying African Americans "chose" to be slaves during it's earlier history or the Jewish chose to be hunted for game by the Nazi's. Japan is great and all but you must face up to the truth.

Comfort women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Comfort women is a euphemism for women working in military brothels, especially those women who were forced into prostitution as a form of sexual slavery by the Japanese military during World War II."

Women and World War II - Comfort Women
"During World War II, the Japanese established military brothels in countries they occupied. Women, many from occupied countries including Korea, China, and the Philippines, were forced to provide sexual services to personnel in the Japanese Imperial Army"

JPRI Working Paper No. 77
"The euphemism "comfort women" (ianfu) was coined by imperial Japan to refer to young females of various ethnic and national backgrounds and social circumstances who were forced to offer sexual services to the Japanese troops before and during the Second World War. Some were minors sold into brothels; others were deceptively recruited by middlemen; still others were forcibly abducted. Estimates of the number of comfort women range between 50,000 and 200,000. It is believed that most were Korean. "

Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Are you a product of the Japanese education system? I have never heard of these women volunteering to be raped by hundreds of Japanese soldiers throughout Asia. All you have to do is search comfort women and you'll see countless articles where they reference "forced". This would be comparable to saying African Americans "chose" to be slaves during it's earlier history or the Jewish chose to be hunted for game by the Nazi's. Japan is great and all but you must face up to the truth.
Do you read?

Ask anyone who understand Japanese to translate the evidence offered by Korea government into English. It's an ads in newspaper.

If Japan could force them, why the hell did the evil 일제 need to post those ads in newspapers? Use your brain and think the logic. It's not for being washed.

BTW, Many Koreans don't think lying is a bad thing.

When I lost my way in Seoul, I asked strangers which way I should take. What happened many times to me when those stranges didn't know the right directions, were being directed randomly. They seldom, if not never, answered me "I'm not sure" or "I don't know". They just told me any directions they felt good at the moment.

I asked many Koreans the reason why they do like that. Some of them, including a teacher and even some books, gave me the same answer: That is an expression of kindness. Thanks to their kindness, it took me much more time to get to my destination. I was totally lost everytime I got this answer.

To be honest, I didn't buy their explanations.

Many years later, I believe I found the truth.

In China, some Chinese strangers do exactly what those Korean strangers did to me. I asked some Chinese people the reason. Their answers are: They just don't wanna loose their faces. It's a shame for them to admit they don't know what they don't know.

To believe The Boy Who Cried Wolf or not, that is the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia