Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
Okay damn I was hoping I could just ride some train around and check out more of china and maybe even surrounding countries.

Any thoughts on the train that goes from China to Europe? Super off topic question because I doubt I would do that but it sounds interesting.

I assume this is trolling?
You can still take the train. I know from Xian to Nanjing it is an overnight train, so it would probably only take about that long to get to Shanghai from Chengdu. I'm not sure of any countries that would be easy to visit from China, especially since Chengdu is pretty much in the middle of the country. Xian is close to Chengdu, and I don't imagine it would take longer than a few hours to visit, if you feel the need to go to other parts of China.

You can take the train from Beijing through Mongolia to get on the Trans-Siberian Railroad, which is what I assume you are talking about. I expect it is very expensive, and you would have to at least get to Beijing. I imagine it would be a great trip, but it might be hard for a college student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM

92 posts, read 249,837 times
Just curious what part of china you live in Kangrui. Are you originally from the US?

The trans-siberian sounds like an epic journey, i've been looking into it.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i like chengdu. lotsa cewl sht there

i dont spak any chinese didnt have a problem

dont listen to these nobs they straight tripiin
With vocabulary and grammar like that, it's probably a good thing you didn't try to learn Chinese.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 16,864 times
I am a chinese and know about Chengdu. This city is very beautiful and also very hot in summer.
If you have any query, I can try to give you reply.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM

How common is English there? I'm assuming not very much

How fun is it compared to Shanghai?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,946 times
Quote:
Just curious what part of china you live in Kangrui. Are you originally from the US?

The trans-siberian sounds like an epic journey, i've been looking into it.
I don't live in China, though I have previous experience there. I was in Beijing, Xi'an, and Guangzhou. I also spent a very short amount of time in Hong Kong. And yes, I was born in American Fork, Utah. Are you not American?

I've heard the Trans-Siberian Railway is amazing. A trip of a lifetime, though you could say that for China too.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Yes, I am American. I was just curious if you were an American now living in China. I hear Chinese people spit a lot and budge in front of you in lines. Yeah this will be the only time i'm in China most likely, so maybe i'll have to make the most of it.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM

12 posts, read 16,864 times
Quote:

I just say english is more and more popular in China including Chengdu, most of youg people can say a little english, especially colleague or university graduates can say more english. So, I think communication there is not a key problem to you and chinese people are glad to help any foreigner. you can take it easy!
As for Shanghai & Chengdu, I think they have respective characteristic.
Shanghai is positioned as a international city in its development with modern sense and fast-paced lives. while Chengdu is a tourist city with long history and famouse figures and sights etc. Hence, whichever is more fun up to your preference.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:

Not much English, but just a little to get by. Expats still end up living in these places even with very little Chinese, etc.

Basically, expect there to be very very little English. But you'll see it enough when you really need it. In short, don't expect English everywhere, but you won't starve and die because you don't know Chinese.

You'll also learn little techniques. Key words or phrases written in Chinese. Always put your address of hotel or apartment in Chinese, etc.

How fun is Chengdu compared to Shanghai. Chengdu is not that huge. It's kind of like comparing Sacramento to Los Angeles. They are both large enough cities to have things, but one is just on another scale altogether.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Chengdu is a nicer town than Beijing or Shanghai. Because it's off the usual tourist route there won't be so many scammers and touts as you'll find in the big cities and people are friendlier. Definitely make time to take the bus to Jojaigo--the valley with all the waterfalls. Some of the most beautiful scenery in China.

Visit Beijing if you get the chance. Xian, if you want. It's not such an exciting place, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia