Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 AM

92 posts, read 249,869 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah i know bout that minnieapplesauce ****. yeah i dunno singapore seems too expensive for me, personally . I like going to cheaper countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:31 PM

203 posts, read 428,236 times
Just a few questions:

1) Will 250,227SGD sufficiently support two married 30 y/o's (my wife won't be working)

2) What neighborhood will be good for a young couple that has great options for food, drinks, grocery stores, access to public transportation, an expat community, parks (we have a small dog), music, art, hip, etc. Think West Village meets East Village...along those lines

3) Is it easy to escape for a long weekend to a neighboring country?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Just a few questions:

1) Will 250,227SGD sufficiently support two married 30 y/o's (my wife won't be working)

2) What neighborhood will be good for a young couple that has great options for food, drinks, grocery stores, access to public transportation, an expat community, parks (we have a small dog), music, art, hip, etc. Think West Village meets East Village...along those lines

3) Is it easy to escape for a long weekend to a neighboring country?
Salary is more than sufficient.

Geylang for neighborhood.

Malaysia and Indonesia are within 30 minutes by car and boat, respectively.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM

53 posts, read 149,012 times
Yes Singapore was the 1st Asian country to ACHIEVE 1st WORLD STATUS.

Japan was second. We shall see how the rest of Asia achieves its development.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
The cost of living is significantly higher in Singapore for everyday grocery items.
visit Welcome to Cold Storage and you should be able to view grocery items.
Beer and wine are also very expensive. a pint of larger would cost around 12 $ US in many of the bars around the central business area.
Food can be as cheap or expensive as your budget allows. hawker food and local food courts are cheap but 'western' restaurants are expensive.
Singapore Food Guide - Singapore Restaurants, Eating Guide and Reviews - HGW you can look up some restaurants.

Most people in Singapore use taxis and public transport to get around the cost of owning a car is prohibitively expensive.
As foadi said housing and utilities are usually paid for if you will be on an expat assignment.
I have no idea what the cost of living index says - your HR dept probably have a calculation for it.
try to get an 'awareness' trip so you can see Singapore for yourself. Is it just you or do you have a family going ? Its a great place for families. very safe. but its a bit dull for a single guy. oh and VERY HOT !!!!
Its a great place to tour around the rest of Asia.

We lived there for just under 2 years.
Thanks.

I think the food price is comparable to the market here, at lease in NJ anyway. Singapore has a lot less tax, so make item a lot cheaper.

My only concern is the real estate. It is awfully expensive. I like my privacy, I prefer a house in a big lot away from my neighbor.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Thanks.

I think the food price is comparable to the market here, at lease in NJ anyway. Singapore has a lot less tax, so make item a lot cheaper.

My only concern is the real estate. It is awfully expensive. I like my privacy, I prefer a house in a big lot away from my neighbor.
As a foreigner I am pretty sure you can't but any 'landed' property i.e. houses. At least that is how it was 2 years ago. I think you can petition the courts but the chances of winning are very slim. We rented a house for 9 thousand Sing $ that would of cost us about 24 mil to buy. - if we were allowed !!
Our 1500 sqf apartment would of been 8 mil to buy.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
As a foreigner I am pretty sure you can't but any 'landed' property i.e. houses. At least that is how it was 2 years ago. I think you can petition the courts but the chances of winning are very slim. We rented a house for 9 thousand Sing $ that would of cost us about 24 mil to buy. - if we were allowed !!
Our 1500 sqf apartment would of been 8 mil to buy.

Yea, that's another problem. But I think it is a good thing. More benefits for the citizens. Unlike USSA, more benefits to those not paying tax.

I am still debating if I am going to move again (when the kids get a little older), if it going to be Florida or simply move out of the country. Singapore is my #1 choice.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Swisswife,

Can you provide some resources links to the country?

Like culture, housing, education, residency, etc....

Thanks,
CW

Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Swisswife,

Can you provide some resources links to the country?

Like culture, housing, education, residency, etc....

Thanks,
CW
gov.sg: Singapore Government Information

or just google what ever question you have....

we don't live there anymore BTW. Moved to the US 8 months ago for a little while

Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Why you want to do something like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia