Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM

994 posts, read 1,832,351 times

Advertisements

So I am sure we can all say that the three most prominent emerging economies are China, India and Brazil. However I have noticed that out of the three Brazil seems to be the most liked by Americans. It seems like there is more of an appreciation of Brazilian culture. Maybe it's just me because, if you haven't notice, Brazil is one of my favorite countries.

For instance, China the leading emerging power is viewed in a negative light. Most Americans see China as a problem. India is also a problem, especially when it comes to outsourcing. However, Brazil seems to be appreciated more. I think it might have to be cultural as well. Perhaps Americans feel more in
tune with Brazil because of religion, ethnicities, same hemisphere (western that is).

Does anyone else agree with this? It seems like many Americans dislike that India and China becoming new global powers, but when it comes to Brazil, they really do not care? Any thoughts? Are these same feelings found in other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,489 times
Brazil is the least foreign to Americans. Also, Brazil is the one that is the least threatening.

There is some negativity surrounding India, but it's nothing compared to China. It's also because India is not seen as much of a threat.

China is considered very threatening so there is a lot of negativity around it. It is also considered very foreign. It is a nationalistic country, so obviously there is a lot of distrust there.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,470,223 times
Brazil is rising fast, but it'll never be any sort of global power and you could argue all you want but its culture is more or less Western. India will never grow the way China does unless it deals with graft, liberalizes the economy further, streamlines its bureaucracy, loosens up labor laws(unions have too much power in certain industries and they stifle manufacturing growth), and does something about the state of it's education system(teachers' unions are a bunch of crooks in India). Also, India is a democratic country that has embraced many Western ideas, so there might be some antagonism by regular folks over outsourcing but in the big picture the nation is a friend rather than foe.

As of now, China is the only nation that seems destined to overtake the US in terms of GDP. Furthermore, its values and goverment are fundamentally different from the US's and they have made hostile threats against some of their neighbors. Politics in the Asia-Pacific region will be fairly interesting in 10-15 years.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM

213 posts, read 866,011 times
@Tyler: While I agree with the state of unions in India, I am more curious to know about this teacher's union that you mentioned.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:21 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,804,337 times
Maybe because Brazil is the only among the three that doesn't have any nuclear weapons. And don't want to have it. And is a pacificist country that never get involved in wars.

And, of course, there are all the cultural similarities with the US.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,832,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Maybe because Brazil is the only among the three that doesn't have any nuclear weapons. And don't want to have it. And is a pacificist country that never get involved in wars.

And, of course, there are all the cultural similarities with the US.
That's a very good point! About being pacifist and the nuclear weapons. Never thought of that.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Brazil is rising fast, but it'll never be any sort of global power and you could argue all you want but its culture is more or less Western. India will never grow the way China does unless it deals with graft, liberalizes the economy further, streamlines its bureaucracy, loosens up labor laws(unions have too much power in certain industries and they stifle manufacturing growth), and does something about the state of it's education system(teachers' unions are a bunch of crooks in India). Also, India is a democratic country that has embraced many Western ideas, so there might be some antagonism by regular folks over outsourcing but in the big picture the nation is a friend rather than foe.

As of now, China is the only nation that seems destined to overtake the US in terms of GDP. Furthermore, its values and goverment are fundamentally different from the US's and they have made hostile threats against some of their neighbors. Politics in the Asia-Pacific region will be fairly interesting in 10-15 years.
Yes China has been outspoken about its threat to attack Taiwan and it would be today if it was not for the US presence and aid on Taiwan. China was also responsible for assisting Pakistan in developing nukes as they see Pakistan as their Isreal as they see India as an threat.

China may be an ally to North Korea but its an uncomfortable ally. china is also opposed to north Korea having nukes. The North Korean leaders at times make decisions that are not in the interests of China, but North Korea gets most of the trade from China. However South Korea is an much bigger trade partner for China.

However China is not opposed entirely to US military presence in the Asian region. In addition China is US most important Trade partner. China far more exports than imports, and there have been an few times China has threatened to boycott US goods due to US at times giving Taiwan advanced military hardware however the boycott of the US will have an large negative effect on China economy, even the US economy would suffer.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
Alot of Americans are jealous of Asiatic countries like China and India taking their jobs, financial wealth, increasingly real estate, etc.

Americans are gonna have to get used to it, because if they don't their gonna start losing more and more other things in the future...

But that's just my take...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
So I am sure we can all say that the three most prominent emerging economies are China, India and Brazil. However I have noticed that out of the three Brazil seems to be the most liked by Americans. It seems like there is more of an appreciation of Brazilian culture. Maybe it's just me because, if you haven't notice, Brazil is one of my favorite countries.

For instance, China the leading emerging power is viewed in a negative light. Most Americans see China as a problem. India is also a problem, especially when it comes to outsourcing. However, Brazil seems to be appreciated more. I think it might have to be cultural as well. Perhaps Americans feel more in
tune with Brazil because of religion, ethnicities, same hemisphere (western that is).

Does anyone else agree with this? It seems like many Americans dislike that India and China becoming new global powers, but when it comes to Brazil, they really do not care? Any thoughts? Are these same feelings found in other countries?
Having lived in Brazil...yeah, it's very likeable by Americans. That being said, it is plagued by a lot of the same problems as the U.S. - violence, guns, drugs, etc.

I think a lot of Americans equally like India...but more because of the mystique of it. That being said, I'm going to say that a lot of Americans like China as well for the same mystique they see, and for the things that are going on there.

I think your post speaks of a 'anti-' kind of American...the kind that hides themselves up in the hills of Idaho and Montana...and what they might fear? If that is what you're referring to...than, probably relates more to right wing radio constantly going on about China buying up America types of statements.

But for your average American....I'd say there is certainly interest in China. I have a small handful of American friends who either are or were or will teach English there....because they think of it as being more of the future than countries like Japan and South Korea where the money is at now. They're solely going there for potential long-term possibilities, and certainly not for present day realities - which are somewhat on the appaling scale.

For me, now way I'm going to China...as the money for teaching English is very poor and the conditions are terrible. To me, that's just a reflection of the low quality of life and what Chinese are willing to pay, which isn't much. If salaries and wages for ESL teachers matched even bottom rung salaries and lifestyles as in Japan and South Korea...I'd consider making the move - solely on the potential future speculation part. But you're also dealing with immense pollution, and a ton of social issues that seriously need to be addressed.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:07 AM

14 posts, read 39,912 times
out of these three country, India is now most emerging economic country. currently the situation is not good in India, but in near future it will back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia