Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,524 times

Advertisements

How come Israel does not decorate anything for Christmas at all, when there are 2% Christians living there, yet in the U.S. you see menorahs everywhere when we have 2% Jews living here? That's not fair.
It's where Jesus Christ was born.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Jesus does not hold any significance in the Jewish faith. He's not regarded as the Savior like in the Christian religion. Remember, the Torah doesn't have a New Testament which is all about Jesus's message of salvation.

I'd also like to point out that modern-day Christmas originated in pagan Germany and is a wholly pagan festival. Jesus was not born on December 25

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique_Girl View Post
How come Israel does not decorate anything for Christmas at all, when there are 2% Christians living there, yet in the U.S. you see menorahs everywhere when we have 2% Jews living here? That's not fair.
It's where Jesus Christ was born.

Ummm, I am a non-believer and celebrate Christmas. Like it or not, it has nothing to do with religion anymore. And Israel can do whatever they want.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,632 times
This thread kind of reminds me of the one where some other (?) poster recently complained that Christians were poorly treated in Israel lol.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Ummm, I am a non-believer and celebrate Christmas. Like it or not, it has nothing to do with religion anymore. And Israel can do whatever they want.
Well, Christmas never had anything to do with religion prior to the Romans. Christmas predates Roman Catholicism and it originated with Germanic pagans living in present-day Germany. Pairing Christmas with Christianity was done by Emperor Constantine sometime between 306 AD and 337 AD

Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Israel is a Jewish state (not a Christian one). There isn't a complete separation between state & religion in Israel like in the USA. Also Christmas is a regular workday in Israel.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel is a Jewish state (not a Christian one). There isn't a complete separation between state & religion in Israel like in the USA. Also Christmas is a regular workday in Israel.
Most Western countries organize their holidays according to Christian (and thus, a mixture of Abrahamic and Pagan) tradition, which is why most shops open on Saturdays (Jewish day of rest), as opposed to Sundays (the Christian equivalent).

The same goes for Christmas, Easter, etc.

It's not a big deal.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, Christmas never had anything to do with religion prior to the Romans. Christmas predates Roman Catholicism and it originated with Germanic pagans living in present-day Germany. Pairing Christmas with Christianity was done by Emperor Constantine sometime between 306 AD and 337 AD

I'm taking it you got this stuff from some activist website. Although I admit it's more valid than I thought as the Germanic feast of "Yule" appears to be December 25. Still why would Constantine want to celebrate a German festival? What evidence do you have he did? And you can't say "it had nothing to do with religion" than say it's pagan. Paganism was religious.

Christmas does have a lot to do with pagan solstice celebrations and is unlikely to be the literal birth of Christ. The first Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ look to have placed it in March or April. However the word "Christmas", and how we celebrate it, has a fair amount more to do with Christianity than many anti-Christians I've seen want to admit. Carols are Christian, I've never seen much reason to think they're pagan. I believe many of the flowers and plants associated to the holiday are associated due to Christian symbolism. The star on top of the tree is likely linked to the Star of Bethlehem. Others put angels on top, but that's also clearly a religious symbol.

As for the OPs question it is kind of dumb. Israel is "the Jewish state." And also it's not even true that you see menorahs "everywhere in the US." Going by population stats I would guess menorahs are a rarity in most of Arkansas, the Dakotas, Idaho, Mississippi, Montana, and West Virginia. I'm not sure I've ever seen a menorah in my town, outside maybe some kind of class on cultures.

Jewish Population of the United States: by State

Finally some of the more Christian parts of Israel do have Christmas celebrations and I wouldn't be surprised if they have decorations too. Do a "Google Image" search for "Christmas in Israel." I found a nativity scene and a tree when I did.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Most Western countries organize their holidays according to Christian (and thus, a mixture of Abrahamic and Pagan) tradition, which is why most shops open on Saturdays (Jewish day of rest), as opposed to Sundays (the Christian equivalent).

The same goes for Christmas, Easter, etc.

It's not a big deal.
As I already stated Israel is a Jewish country where there is no full separation between state and religion. Therefore, most shops (and all offices) are closed on Saturdays. The first of the Israeli work week is Sunday. Israel's holidays are organized according to the Jewish lunar calendar. Israelis celebrate the Jewish New Year in the fall/autumn according to the Jewish traditional calendar. January 1st is a regular work day in Israel and is not celebrated by the majority of the Israeli population in any special way.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As I already stated Israel is a Jewish country where there is no full separation between state and religion. Therefore, most shops (and all offices) are closed on Saturdays. The first of the Israeli work week is Sunday. Israel's holidays are organized according to the Jewish lunar calendar. Israelis celebrate the Jewish New Year in the fall/autumn according to the Jewish traditional calendar. January 1st is a regular work day in Israel and is not celebrated by the majority of the Israeli population in any special way.
Yes, and the same thing (applying Christian dates) can be said about any European country (and the US) despite there being official separation between state and religion in varying degrees, as I've already explained.

Which is why I don't understand what the OP is complaining about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia