Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really? I thought I remember reading he was part Chinese. I think a lot of the politicians and big wigs in those countries are often part Chinese but want to use the populist majority to persecute the Chinese. The fact the Chinese, once poor labourers, became a more favoured class by the colonials (as in Indonesia, although that didn't mean the Dutch didn't sometimes ally with the natives when convenient).
Marcos was part Chinese, Japanese, as well as other races. (source: Wiki)

Quote:
I think I read the Indonesian Chinese control like 60% of the country's wealth, which seems incredible. Many of the richest Indonesians have Chinese ancestry. Indonesia as well as the Philippines has had a long history of Chinese migration, and many of the early Chinese migrants were merchants as well. After being there so long it's natural there'd be a lot of mixing. Many of the early migrants from places like Guangdong or Fujian were single males who intermarried with the locals. There's also the Peranakans, sort of like hybrid cultures, my grandmother was a Nonya it's a very interesting culture which has contributed some of the best known Malaysian dishes.
It's the same elsewhere in SE Asia - hence why Chinese are partly blamed by the natives due to their vast control of the nation's wealth disproportional to their population. Besides Indonesia, Chinese control almost similar percentage of the economy of Malaysia and the Phils.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Marcos was part Chinese, Japanese, as well as other races. (source: Wiki)

It's the same elsewhere in SE Asia - hence why Chinese are partly blamed by the natives due to their vast control of the nation's wealth disproportional to their population. Besides Indonesia, Chinese control almost similar percentage of the economy of Malaysia and the Phils.
Indeed, the migrants from China were often traders etc so they began to dominate the trade scene in the early years of those nations developments. Often the Colonial governments facilitated/encouraged this growth. They were also doing this in Australia and the United States, although there was of course a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment. Still, vestiges have persisted here in Australia. Melbourne has the world's second oldest Chinatown in the world after San Francisco dating to the 1850s. If not for the anti Chinese policies/sentiments parts of rural Australia, like the Victorian goldfields or north Queensland, could be majority Chinese today.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
In Malaysia, 9 out of top 10, 16 out of top 20, and 80% of the top 40 richest person are Chinese. The wealthiest man in SE Asia is a Malaysian Chinese - Robert Kuok (US$14.7 billion as of Feb 2012).

The richest man in Phils, Indonesia, Singapore, and Cambodia are also Chinese (not sure about Vietnam but I suspect he is a Chinese too).

Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
In Malaysia, 9 out of top 10, 16 out of top 20, and 80% of the top 40 richest person are Chinese. The wealthiest man in SE Asia is a Malaysian Chinese - Robert Kuok (US$14.7 billion as of Feb 2012).

The richest man in Phils, Indonesia, Singapore, and Cambodia are also Chinese (not sure about Vietnam but I suspect he is a Chinese too).
Vietnam is different in that it has been more directly influenced by China for much longer so is part of the Sinosphere, although the ethnic 'Hoa' as they are known (one of the nation's 54 ethnic groups, as the Viet are one of China's 56) do control a lot of the commerce in Saigon and a few other cities. Interestingly I heard that Chinese farmers settled the Mekong delta before the Vietnamese did.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Vietnam is different in that it has been more directly influenced by China for much longer so is part of the Sinosphere, although the ethnic 'Hoa' as they are known (one of the nation's 54 ethnic groups, as the Viet are one of China's 56) do control a lot of the commerce in Saigon and a few other cities. Interestingly I heard that Chinese farmers settled the Mekong delta before the Vietnamese did.
I thought most ethnic hoa/chinese left vietnam during the vietnam war

Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I thought most ethnic hoa/chinese left vietnam during the vietnam war
Indeed many did, and you wouldn't know that many Vietnamese are Hoa if you went to any Vietnamese place in Australia. I didn't know this fact until somewhat recently. Many still do remain in places like Cholon in Saigon and the Mekong delta.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
race maybe Asian- culture? - who knows and nationality ? be surprized how many asian folks are latinos! or Russians, they have all the races I think.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
the rich upperclass is chinese

actually the majority of the social elite in the Philippines is made up of chinese-filipinos

1.6% of the population is chinese descent acording to the survery..only 10% of chinese-filipinos are pure chinese
1.6% is the percentage of people who consider themselves Chinese-Filipinos. Mostly full, half, and quarter Chinese. The percentage of people who have Chinese ancestry is much higher. I've seen up to 30%

Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
1.6% is the percentage of people who consider themselves Chinese-Filipinos. Mostly full, half, and quarter Chinese. The percentage of people who have Chinese ancestry is much higher. I've seen up to 30%
highly doubt they dna checked 30% of the population

dont buy into chinese-filipino propaganda....they also claimed they taught filipinos how to grow rice...when rice terraces have been in the country for 2000 years

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
highly doubt they dna checked 30% of the population

dont buy into chinese-filipino propaganda....they also claimed they taught filipinos how to grow rice...when rice terraces have been in the country for 2000 years
Are you dumb? You don't DNA check 30% of the population to arrive at 30%. That's like saying that we had to DNA check 95% of the population to prove that 95% of Filipinos are of Austronesian-descent. It came from a sample. I've seen percentages between 15% & 30% as people of Chinese-descent. The 1.6% are the "ethnically Chinese-Filipino" People who actually consider themselves as such. The percentage of Filipinos who have some Chinese ancestry is of course much higher. People like Charice Pempengco would fall into the category, judging by her looks and her surname. Most of the women that you post pics of would probably fall into that category. They're not rare, but they're not the majority either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia