Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

By East that includes South-East Asia...

I wouldn't say there's none at all, I suppose Laos doesn't interest me that greatly, but I might still visit it one day. I probably won't visit North Korea anytime soon but I have to admit just seeing how alien it is would be a draw.

I'm NOT including the Middle East or Central Asia here so don't mention Iran or Uzbekistan or something.

I get the feeling that Sri Lanka doesn't seem that popular either, although I think it's underrated. Taiwan also. I'm writing a comparison of the two I will post on my travel blog soon.

I'm tempted to exclude Bangladesh and Pakistan from the comparison since I think many will choose those. I'm actually quite interested in Pakistan, Mohenjo-daro, the Indus Valley civilisation.etc and even Bangladesh has some sites, but along with Laos I'd say the two least interesting countries in Asia outside some of those Gulf states like Qatar or Kuwait.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
Burma doesn't appeal to me, neither does Laos, but that's not to say that'd I'd never go there. If I had the opportunity to visit North Korea, I would definitely go.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,051 times
Bangladesh, Timor-Leste, Pakistan, Afghanistan, North Korea: nothing interesting or extremely unsafe
Myanmar (Burma), Laos, Mongolia: more interesting, but also at the bottom of the list. Just too difficult to get to and unsure if the trip will be worth it

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,059 times
SE Asia's countries are generally very interesting, even for me as a SE Asian - I never tire in exploring my own region. But if I were to be really picky, I'd say Brunei, followed by East Timor - though East Timor still fascinates me to an extent since they still seem so isolated from the rest of the world.

As for East Asia, it'd be Korea (both North and South) and Taiwan. I'd love to visit Taiwan's tribal regions though.

For South Asia, I'd say Bangladesh. I'd very much wanted to see Pakistan, but am not sure whether it's safe to travel there esp in the tribal mountainous regions, as those regions are the most scenic and spectacular.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times
I have very little interest in visiting any south asian countries that are heavily religious

or are always at war with another religious group over territory , or something, I wouldnt want to waste my time going to those places

if you ever watch those travel channel shows you will hardly ever see a non native tourist in the streets

since Im not a religious person it would annoy me being in that environment

Old 12-15-2012, 03:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Having been in Asia, for a long time, it took me a long time to get around to visiting Laos and Myanmar. I'd been interested in Myanmar the entire time, but the visa requirements and politics always held me back.

Finally made it to Laos, and many people rave about how much they loved it. I thought it was okay, and no interest to go back.

Bangladesh is the one I haven't been to, and just can't find myself interested enough to bother going to.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
Well, I visited Vietnam a few times and liked it so much that now I live here. I really like the core Buddhist/Confucian cultural attitudes.

Thailand has a wonderful culture, but too aggressive a sex trade (at least in the tourist areas) for my taste. I don't see anything wrong with near-legal prostitution, don't misunderstand. They just need to civilize it.

The Philippines are similar, and too much ****-fighting, something I do think is wrong. (You see some through all of SE Asia).

I would not live in a Muslim country, even a relatively liberal one like Malaysia. Gays are tolerated but at any time some official can arbitrarily make accusations, and they can execute you. Besides, I don't like being awoken at daybreak every day being called to prayer.

Singapore, to me, is just too clean and boring. I love the motorcycle culture of Vietnam, dangerous though it is. I love the coffee shops and the flashing lights and the traffic and the canals and rivers and the jumbled streets and all that confusion.

The northern Asian countries are too expensive to retire to, and they don't particularly want you. In fact they are too expensive to visit, except on TV.

I have thought about living in Cambodia, but it would mean learning another language (one can get by with just English in any major city, but if one really wants to fit in one needs to speak at least some of the local language). Still, Cambodia is an option if the Vietnamese ever get arbitrary about visas.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I would not live in a Muslim country, even a relatively liberal one like Malaysia. Gays are tolerated but at any time some official can arbitrarily make accusations, and they can execute you. Besides, I don't like being awoken at daybreak every day being called to prayer.
LOL! Thanks for the laugh. Are you sure you're not mistaking Malaysia for ultra-conservative Iran or Saudi Arabia? :P

Meanwhile, I've never heard of any so-called gays being executed (ouch, what a severe penalty) so far. As far as prosecution of gays is concerned, you'll do fine as long as you don't publicly flaunt your gayness. The large urban areas of Malaysia have a thriving gay scene, be it KL, Penang, Ipoh. They frequent gyms, massage parlours, baths, shopping malls, gay bars. The most upscale gym in Penang is said to be a gay hub. And it's been alleged that almost half of Malaysian males living in KL are gays. Go figure.

As for the morning prayers, you won't even notice it in your sleep unless you go hunting for it. I easily sleep through most of the prayer times without any problem.

Last edited by kyh; 12-15-2012 at 05:18 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
LOL! Have you mistaken Malaysia for Iran or Saudi Arabia? :P
I met a guy from Malaysia once in Bangkok, and he told me much the same as you tell me. Still, I have also read of executions (in the Economist), so I think they may be rare but it can happen according to Malaysian law.

They sure do delight in their "right" to wake everyone up in southern Thailand.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I met a guy from Malaysia once in Bangkok, and he told me much the same as you tell me. Still, I have also read of executions (in the Economist), so I think they may be rare but it can happen according to Malaysian law.

They sure do delight in their "right" to wake everyone up in southern Thailand.
No homosexuality is not a capital offence in Malaysia but sodomy is illegal. It's not like there are cops raiding people's bedrooms, though .

Yeah I heard it in Phuket. Northern Malaysia used to be part of Thailand too. Then again NE Thailand used to be part of Laos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia