Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
It's basic. An Asian believes that if they wait in line for something, that something will be gone by the time they get to the head of the line.
Filipinos don't do that even the poor ones, they don't push you just to get ahead.., they don't grab the cab when it's already yours., but the Chinese are terrible.. Even if you got the cab first, they will still go there and grab the door.,Filipinos ( even the poor ones ) don't push people on the lift especially if there is a baby in there. it's just awful and I don't know when will they start to realize that what they are doing is totally rude

Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have noticed this behavior here in the US and while abroad in the UK also. It definitely makes me mad, and they should learn their manners.

I have notched that many Chinese, especially from Mainland China rarely ever see the "big picture" of many situations. Many just seem to see themselves and ignore others involved.

You should see some of the drivers here - OMG!!!
I agree with you ... They just really see themselves and they ignore other people.. It is very true !!!

Yes, the drivers are terrible too.. They are so wreckless and very rude. They always want to rush and they always get pissed with us because we take awhile to get out of the cab because we still have to remove our buggy and need to carry our toddler.. They keep saying many things in Chinese., we may not understand but of course we know they are saying awful words already.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is the same when Chinese students copy from one another or copy stuff of the internet and call it their own. It is culturally acceptable to them.
No it is not. I never did that when I was in China and I knew it is wrong.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I agree with you ... They just really see themselves and they ignore other people.. It is very true !!!

Yes, the drivers are terrible too.. They are so wreckless and very rude. They always want to rush and they always get pissed with us because we take awhile to get out of the cab because we still have to remove our buggy and need to carry our toddler.. They keep saying many things in Chinese., we may not understand but of course we know they are saying awful words already.
I agree many Chinese seem to be very impatient and rude, especially those with lower level of education.

One thing is that China has never been a fair society. If one always follows the rules, he can never be successful. It is changing now but the influence is still there.

Another thing is, Chinese society is based on connections, or guanxi. If you are not a part of their connection, you have nothing to do with them and they often ignore you.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I agree many Chinese seem to be very impatient and rude, especially those with lower level of education.

One thing is that China has never been a fair society. If one always follows the rules, he can never be successful. It is changing now but the influence is still there.

Another thing is, Chinese society is based on connections, or guanxi. If you are not a part of their connection, you have nothing to do with them and they often ignore you.
Most societies in the world are not fair. Not that that's right, but China is hardly alone.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
One thing is that China has never been a fair society. If one always follows the rules, he can never be successful.
Hmm, pretty much the same as being taught in American business...

Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most societies in the world are not fair. Not that that's right, but China is hardly alone.
In China it is prominent.

For example, in busy seasons the first person to buy a train ticket in the morning may not get one, because the workers at the station have reserved too many tickets for their friends and relatives. China has too many people and this happens a lot.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 AM

In a normal society, manners are maintained by people of higher class and they teach or force people of lower class to follow. After all, most people want to appear civilized.

After the communist revolution, the higher class of China was totally eliminated. Some revolutionary peasants became officials and received power. They may have been good fighters and served the Party well, but they were not good models in terms of manners. The Chinese Communist Party also wanted to make everyone behave like peasants and blue collar workers. To some extent, they were successful.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I started a thread on this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/asia/...ere-these.html

Yes i've noticed this behaviour among Chinese and other Asians. Not so much Taiwanese though.
older generation Koreans are exactly the same way. I can't recall seeing it anywhere else in East Asia. You'd get it again out in Nepal/India.

But Pacific Asia, it's essentially China and South Korea that is like that.

Korea was horrible with that back when I first arrivd in 1996. Over the last 17 years, there has been a massive education program, and it has had a very positive effect. You seldom see the pushing and cutting in line to the same degree as before. It definitely still happens a lot in Korea, but usually the dying older generation.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipinos don't do that even the poor ones, they don't push you just to get ahead.., they don't grab the cab when it's already yours., but the Chinese are terrible.. Even if you got the cab first, they will still go there and grab the door.,Filipinos ( even the poor ones ) don't push people on the lift especially if there is a baby in there. it's just awful and I don't know when will they start to realize that what they are doing is totally rude
Yeah, having lived in Korea for a long time, it was always refreshing to go to Philippines and NOT see that behavior at all.

Koreans use to always say it was because Seoul was so crowded and there were so many people, so they had to push and shove all the time. But you get down to metro Manila which also has millions of people, and you'll never see it happen once.

Since the topic is on China, as bad as South Korea is and was, I was always amazed it could get and be worse in China with the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia