Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should wealthy Asian countries welcome immigrants from all over the World?
Yes, there needs to be cultural diversity! 4 16.67%
Yes, provided the immigrants assimilate to the local national culture 7 29.17%
No 9 37.50%
I don't know / not sure 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,670 times

Advertisements

Countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Brunei, UAE, Qatar, South Korea, and of course Japan have an aging population that will lead to a shrinking population and eventually a shrinking economy. Should Asian countries do what North America and Western Europe have done and welcome immigrants from all over the world, not just people who have ancestors from their country. I'm talking about welcoming Russians, Ethiopians, and Mexicans to Seoul and Tokyo. And by immigration I mean future CITIZENS who are full members of the nation and not simply guest workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Brunei, UAE, Qatar, South Korea, and of course Japan have an aging population that will lead to a shrinking population and eventually a shrinking economy. Should Asian countries do what North America and Western Europe have done and welcome immigrants from all over the world, not just people who have ancestors from their country. I'm talking about welcoming Russians, Ethiopians, and Mexicans to Seoul and Tokyo. And by immigration I mean future CITIZENS who are full members of the nation and not simply guest workers.

those countries could, but the citizens themselves in the countries you mentioned are not really the most welcoming/friendly in the world, especially the ones in the middle east. and you ask russians and ethiopians to emigrate to such countries as UAE, brunei and qatar? talk about such potential culture clashes. even nationalities as flexible as filipinos can still encounter harsh penalties in middle east because of those countries' culture. and because of those countries' cultures, they dont have as much welcoming foreign policy as say canada and US.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,670 times
That's why the second option is there: let's have more immigrants as long as we require them to assimilate to our culture.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
every country should have open borders

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
That's why the second option is there: let's have more immigrants as long as we require them to assimilate to our culture.
not a whole lot of nationalities are flexible enough to assimilate those host countries' cultures, unfortunately.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM

assimilation is overrated

Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,813 times
I'm not convinced an aging population is as much of a problem as some pundits claim it to be. What's wrong with a shrinking population? The Japanese may have money but they live in apartments so small it would be considered animal cruelty if monkeys lived in them. Fewer people means more space per person. I say let Asia depopulate, human beings are not meant to live in cages.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I'm not convinced an aging population is as much of a problem as some pundits claim it to be. What's wrong with a shrinking population? The Japanese may have money but they live in apartments so small it would be considered animal cruelty if monkeys lived in them. Fewer people means more space per person. I say let Asia depopulate, human beings are not meant to live in cages.
uh

you do realize that the avg floor area per household is up in japan, right? while at the same time family size is down. this trend is true in most countries in the world. populations might be rising, but houses are becoming bigger and family size is shrinking. which means more space not less. the notion that ppl are living in cages is laughable.

that said, i agree with your overall point, i dont think an aging population is as big of a problem as people think - as long as the appropriate adjustments are made to pension systems, etc and as long as there is the productivity growht to make up for it.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

the notion that ppl are living in cages is laughable.
Hong Kong cage homes

Japanese capsule apartment

Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM

i am familiar with the capsule apartments. those are mostly used as crash pads for ppl that live on the outskirts and dont want to commute every night. i doubt many live in them full time, rents are a lot cheaper outside of central tokyo.

hadn't heard of the hk cage homes before. in no way is something like that the result of a growing population, however. conditions were even more cramp in the past in many places, just look at the hellhole that was known as kowloon walled city. those are prolly just ppl waiting for public housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia