Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM

215 posts, read 378,845 times

Advertisements

What 4 countries in your opinion provide the highest quality of life for citizens in Asia?

My guess is Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Singapore.

Last edited by The Lunatic & A Therapist; 02-09-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
What 4 countries in your opinion provide the highest quality of life for citizens and tourists in Asia?

My guess is Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Singapore.
I'd say Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore.

South Korea is debatable. Great economy though. I'm slightly confused what it means to provide a 'high quality of life for tourists' though. If I'm trying to think of a high-end tourist who wants to spend a lot of money and have a great quality of who-knows-what, South Korea doesn't readily spring to mind.

A tourist with a lot of money can spend wildly anywhere really. I'd say that for that type of tourist, a city like Bangkok would offer way more than Seoul. But, if we're just talking about a 'quality of life for it's own citizens' than Thailand/Bangkok would fare quite low in that regard.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,952 times
I would add Taiwan. I am not going to get into politics regarding Taiwan. Taiwan is a developed country/economy in East Asia. Hong Kong, technically is not a country, but now belongs to China. However, Hong Kong is a developed economy.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM

215 posts, read 378,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd say Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore.

South Korea is debatable. Great economy though. I'm slightly confused what it means to provide a 'high quality of life for tourists' though. If I'm trying to think of a high-end tourist who wants to spend a lot of money and have a great quality of who-knows-what, South Korea doesn't readily spring to mind.

A tourist with a lot of money can spend wildly anywhere really. I'd say that for that type of tourist, a city like Bangkok would offer way more than Seoul. But, if we're just talking about a 'quality of life for it's own citizens' than Thailand/Bangkok would fare quite low in that regard.
I edited it out to avoid further confusion.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Yes, the most developed in Asia are Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan. I added Taiwan as it is pretty close in terms of level of development to the others.

If OP is trying to use HDI as the gauge of which country to visit, then those are the 5 countries. I personally would not use HDI to determine which countries/cities to visit. After all, the most boring city I have been to is Zurich, which has among the highest HDI for any country/city. Also, HDI favors the city-states more, as a larger countries need to average the primary city with the countryside. You'll also be surprised as how "developed" some cities are in developing countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 AM

12 posts, read 28,836 times
In term of HDI
1.japan
2.south Korea
3.brunei
4,Singapore
5.Malaysia
6.kazakhstan
7.Thailand
8.armenia
9.georgia
10.china
11.azerbaijan
12.Maldives
13.philippines
14.srilanka
15.turkmenistan
16.indonesia
17.mongolia
18.vietnam
19.uzbekistan
20.kyrgystan

Last edited by Hypertrophy; 02-10-2014 at 03:16 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 AM

7 posts, read 42,846 times
Yes, South Korea is still debatable. It has high technology but it is not as rich as most non-Koreans think. Wages and price level are still developing countries' level.
South Korea is generally regarded as a developed country but at the bottom tier of developed countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-01-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 AM

7 posts, read 42,846 times
In terms of average wages and price level(excluding housing), the highest is Japan, Hong Kong & Singapore about the same level, lower for Taiwan & South Korea.

And I don't think any city in developing asian countries is "developed". In my opinion, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Dubai, Doha and Brunei are not developed cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Yes, the most developed in Asia are Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan. I added Taiwan as it is pretty close in terms of level of development to the others.

If OP is trying to use HDI as the gauge of which country to visit, then those are the 5 countries. I personally would not use HDI to determine which countries/cities to visit. After all, the most boring city I have been to is Zurich, which has among the highest HDI for any country/city. Also, HDI favors the city-states more, as a larger countries need to average the primary city with the countryside. You'll also be surprised as how "developed" some cities are in developing countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:37 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughoutl001 View Post
In terms of average wages and price level(excluding housing), the highest is Japan, Hong Kong & Singapore about the same level, lower for Taiwan & South Korea.

And I don't think any city in developing asian countries is "developed". In my opinion, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Dubai, Doha and Brunei are not developed cities.
I agree fully with this

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughoutl001 View Post

Shenzhen, Suzhou, Wuxi's per capita GDP is US$25-27K (PPP), higher than Greece and Portugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia