Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seoul match Tokyo and Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
Yes 43 55.84%
No 34 44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM

16 posts, read 46,731 times

Advertisements

Can Seoul match Tokyo or Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?

Last edited by LA Sun; 07-16-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Does this imply in revenue or marketing?

Basically, ANYWHERE is interesting, every country is interesting. Every location is different, and offers something interesting for any traveler or tourist or otherwise.

If you spent five days in Tokyo or Seoul or...ahmm...Knoxville Tennessee. There will be something interesting to see and do, regardless of it's location.

If you are talking about marketing and such, than I think Tokyo and Hong Kong will continue to be more widely well-known and it'll take less marketing for people than Seoul. Seoul will need more marketing than the others to get the tourist dollars.

If Seoul did a huge marketing campaign and on and on and on, and something happened to tarnish HK or Tokyo's image in some way...regardless of what is actually there or not there to actually see and do, than Seoul could technically surpass in tourism numbers and such. So, if you are talking financial marketing tourism and such, anything is possible.

If you are just trying to decide if you should visit Seoul or Tokyo or Hong Kong....than it really depends on what interests you specifically about each place. So, in that case, it wouldn't matter which brings in more tourists.

If your interest in travel is more of a 'boast' thing, and who will be 'most impressed', and you aren't interested in anywhere in particular. Than you are probably better off with Hong Kong and Tokyo, as they'll resonate with more people who don't know much about traveling either, etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Does this imply in revenue or marketing?

Basically, ANYWHERE is interesting, every country is interesting. Every location is different, and offers something interesting for any traveler or tourist or otherwise.

If you spent five days in Tokyo or Seoul or...ahmm...Knoxville Tennessee. There will be something interesting to see and do, regardless of it's location.

If you are talking about marketing and such, than I think Tokyo and Hong Kong will continue to be more widely well-known and it'll take less marketing for people than Seoul. Seoul will need more marketing than the others to get the tourist dollars.

If Seoul did a huge marketing campaign and on and on and on, and something happened to tarnish HK or Tokyo's image in some way...regardless of what is actually there or not there to actually see and do, than Seoul could technically surpass in tourism numbers and such. So, if you are talking financial marketing tourism and such, anything is possible.

If you are just trying to decide if you should visit Seoul or Tokyo or Hong Kong....than it really depends on what interests you specifically about each place. So, in that case, it wouldn't matter which brings in more tourists.

If your interest in travel is more of a 'boast' thing, and who will be 'most impressed', and you aren't interested in anywhere in particular. Than you are probably better off with Hong Kong and Tokyo, as they'll resonate with more people who don't know much about traveling either, etc.
I am not asking for any facts or tourists or tourists revenue.

I am asking......

In your opinion can Seoul match or surpass Hong Kong or Tokyo in terms of a tourists destination?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Sun View Post
In your opinion can Seoul match or surpass Hong Kong or Tokyo in terms of a tourists destination?
In my opinion, ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE is worth visiting. It's completely dependent on one variable, and that is the person's interests who is considering visiting the said locations.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In my opinion, ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE is worth visiting. It's completely dependent on one variable, and that is the person's interests who is considering visiting the said locations.
Ok, so if you could only visit one which would it be (assuming you have not seen any of them).

Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Sure, why not? Attracting tourism is simply a matter of investment and marketing. Build it and they will come, so the saying goes. It wasn't so long ago that Bangkok was off most people's radar, but now it's the most visited city in the world. If I'm not mistaken tourist arrivals to Korea are at an all time high and accelerating, thanks in no small part to the growing number of Chinese visitors.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,899 times
Seoul is a very pleasant city to visit. Civility on par with Tokyo but significantly less pricey.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM

163 posts, read 249,599 times
Quote:
Can Seoul match Tokyo or Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
As a tourist destination it's OK, but to live and work every day I think that Tokyo is better.

Tokyo is still the world's largest city and there is so much variety there.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Having visited Seoul, Tokyo and Kong Kong numerous times, I would say that Seoul is a great city, but is not in the same league as Tokyo or Hong Kong. Seoul is just not as well known (probably advertising would help) and I found it very difficult to navigate (I don't speak Korean) compared to the others.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ok, so if you could only visit one which would it be (assuming you have not seen any of them).
I'm very familiar with all three I lived in Seoul for 7 years, lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years (not Tokyo, but spent a lot of time in Tokyo as well), and now HK.

I like all 3 for completely different reasons. But, I think if I were to recommend a city to someone who has never been to Asia before, or not very well-traveled, or who doesn't have a specific interest or knowledge or awareness of Korea vs Japan vs HK.....

If, that were the case, than I'd recommend HONG KONG. Only because while all 3 have a lot to see and experience, if someone just doesn't know what they want to see and do, maybe Hong Kong is the easiest for someone unsure what they want to see and do.

I'll say that I loved living in Seoul, very much. But, it's very 'Korean', meaning that someone who just doesn't know anything whatsoever about Asia, Korea, Korean, etc. It might be overwhelming with a lot of confusion for them. Tokyo has even less English than Seoul, but the city is more world-class with more tourists, so it's probably easier to find 'tourist bubbles' while going around to sites and such. Hong Kong was a British colony for centuries, and while not a lot of English, it has more English than Tokyo, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia